What's new

Cars: November 7 (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
homemediaretailing

With a Mater short much like Jack-Jack Attack on the Incredibles DVD.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

I've slowed my DVD purchases but this is a definite purchase. No telling how long till it arrives on Blu-ray.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm bummed by the lack of special features. They're lacking to begin with but it's especially weak in comparison to every other Pixar movie. I'm sure they're waiting for another release to have actual features but unless they have a stunning two disc set, they're only getting my money on this one.

That being said, the movie was great. :)

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
This was posted in a separate thread that hit the forum about two minutes after this thread began:

-----

This from The Digital Bits:

Umm . . . whatever.

Is Disney returning to its misguided Eisner-era policy of issuing single-disc releases because two discs is somehow not "family friendly"? Is Pixar too busy with upcoming projects to put in a little more work into the DVD? Or . . . (my theory) is a double-dip for this title in our near future?

Perhaps Disney will surprise us with a fuller list of specs in the days ahead. But for now, my reaction is very much :angry:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Incredible bummer. Missed this in the theater and was hoping for a really good 2 disc set. I wonder why we're just getting the one disc. As was stated elsewhere, every other Pixat flick has gotten a 2 disc treatment; why not this one? Did it underperform so much that Disney doesn't think anyone will care? I can't imagine a double dip next year or in the future. There's nothing to tie it in with. I doubt there will ever be a sequel to Cars...

Alas, I'm still picking it up. I'm a sucker for anything with Pixar's name on it.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Where are you getting the 1-disc only thing? It's not in the home media article. :crazy:

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
If $235 million (and counting-this thing is still doing business) is a letdown in terms of box office, then that is one letdown I would be more than happy to live with. ;)

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
What the hell? I take the Podcast featurettes that Pixar gave us on the internet are not even going to make it. Smacks of a completely half-assed effort to get it out before Christmas.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
That would be my guess, regardless this is a pick up for me for the kids. For the record, my kids love the extras.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
There's gotta be a 2-disc re-release early in 2007 then... I can't fathom a Pixar DVD without a commentary...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Cars really got a bad rap between complaints about the length, the vocal performance by Jim Whitney (AKA Larry the Cable Guy), and even political implications! Some people even avoided this just because of Larry. It's a real pity since this is yet another great Pixar film. It feels a lot like a Frank Capra movie... corny in spots, but it's not a handicap.

That being said, The Incredibles didn't really seem to have the same quality of supplements as the previous Pixar films. At least the film itself will be presented well, but making a downsized edition is disappointing.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

It feels a lot like Doc Hollywood to me, and that is a handicap.

Sorry for detour.

But, to bring us back on track, I almost welcome a single-disc edition in this instance since, as I said above, it'll be for the kids.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
I'm not a Larry the Cable Guy fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought he actually did a nice job with his voice work in the film. I have to agree with a few other posts however that the film is, to me, Pixar's weakest effort yet and that it did feel like "Doc Hollywood" with wheels.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just to continue my whining from before :), I can see how a documentary or other special features can make a company say "Why spend the money when it'll sell as well without it". And obviously they could spend a fortune on special features and have no problem making all their money back.

However, I'm pretty sure that Disney owns a recording studio (or ten) and it's safe to assume that the people involved with the animation are proud of and more than happy to talk about their work without monetary compensation so the cost of a commentary track is next to nothing. The lack of a commentary just shows that Disney didn't even care enough to try and had that "F- it. It'll sell no matter what" attitude.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
So hold on, we're not even getting the trailers and teasers for Cars?

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui

I agree. I am stunned at the lack of extras with Cars. I would have thought perhaps a commentary with Lasseter (this was his pet project), Wilson, Hunt and Newman perhaps. But nothing?

I am not a big fan of Pixar, but I saw Cars and loved it (I am also a sucker for anything Paul Newman). I also loved Nemo and Toy Story. The others I didn't care for.

Being Australian, I didn't and still don't have any clue who the hell Larry The Cable Guy was, but I thought Mater was simply hilarious.

I will be purchasing it for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks