Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions for a set-up for good sound quality- limited budget

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   someet

someet

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 10:36 PM

Hi,
I am very new to this field... would greatly appreciate some input. I do see a thread wrt a configuration for around $1000. Well, I too am looking for something similar but with perhaps different needs.

What are your suggestions of a set-up (reciever, speakers and cables) for the following needs:
    [*]I do not think I will be able to upgrade very frequently... so i would want something that is the best that I can get for that kind of money and be safe (wrt new technologies - inputs etc) for atleast the next 4 yrs or so.[*]Would like a 5.1 kind of a system may be (7.1)... but space could be limiting as of now... however, later on I might be able to plug in 2 additional speakers.[*]Sound Quality is extremely important - I really dont care how loud it can get... I would not be using it for parties etc. Also, I do not play computer games that much... mainly music from my computer and sometimes movies and TV.[*]Budget is around $1000... but somewhat flexible if it is a worthwhile upgrade... really dont want to be regretting[*]I would like magnetic shielding[*]I will use it for my living room.. which is not too big... so power might not be a big factor.... moreover I do not listen to the music very loud... - live in an apartment and have neighbors Posted Image[*]I would be mainly using it to connect it to my DVD player for movies (15% of the time) , to my TV (25% of the time) and to my computer for playing mp3s (60% of the time). In my computer I have the Cambridge X-Fi soundcard.[*]Also, I have very little eperience is choosing the right connections and cables... basically I would like to connect my DVD player, TV, Computer and also have another free port - all at the same time and not have to worry about disconnecting and connecting back the wires

All suggestions are welcome... Posted Image

Thanks

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   someet

someet

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 05 2006 - 05:45 AM

Anyone?

Do you think Bose Acoustimass AM-10 speakers with subwoofer along with Panasonic XR55 would be a good combination... or can I do better with that amount of money?

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted August 05 2006 - 07:17 AM

Onkyo tx-sr504 for receiver. 7.1, $250-300 (Circuit City has it on sale on their website for about $260.

Definitive technoligies pro cinema 60 package, 5 satelites and one small but awesome sub, $600-700.

Acoustic Research would work good for your interconnects and speaker wire.

And please, no Bose, to expensive for what you get.

Seth=L

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted August 05 2006 - 12:50 PM

I like to recommend that people go auditioning and start listening to speakers and figure out what they like.

That being said, I also like to recommend the paradigm performance series as a good starting place for auditioning.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Jacob C

Jacob C

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 07:53 AM

Have you considered starting with 2.1 and then adding the other speakers later? You will get much better sound quality for the money. I had about the same budget and I have the Panasonic xr57, a HSU STF-2, and I am waiting for a few $$ to order Ascend Acoustics 170's (Im using old speakers in the mean time). I was just unimpressed by any speakers cheap enough for a $1000 5.1. As mentioned before, Paradigm is a good place to start auditioning they have something for just about everyone.
Jacob
--------------------------------

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit

• 397 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 09:47 AM

You don't need everything at once...

1) Get a good AVR with preamp outputs. Last year's or even the year before's model isn't going to have much different functionality than today's... And $300ish is a lot easier to stand than $900ish...

2) Stereo is okay for starters... If I was limited to one room on a budget, I'd go with magneplanar MMGs for the fronts ($550), and MMG-Ws for the sides ($300). No center. $300-400 will do a pair of Hafler P230s, with a little searching... Add in $250 for a build-it-yourself sub, and you're there...

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 10:36 AM

How are the Magnepans on power handling? It would seem that such a design would have limitations on power handling. If they aren't they sound like an awesome deal.

Also are they cabable of beign bi-wired?

Seth=L

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 01:16 PM

The onkyo doesn't have pre-outs. Moreover, although the WRAT feature and the dynamic power ratings both imply 4-ohm compatibility, the manual warns against this. Magnepans are 4-ohm nominal, which often implies that the impedence dips to 2-3 ohms in places.

Quote:
North American models:
You can connect speakers
with an impedance of between 6 and 16 ohms. If you
use speakers with a lower impedance, and use the
amplifier at high volume levels for a long period of
time, the built-in amp protection circuit may be acti-
vated.

Other models:
You can connect speakers with an
impedance of between 4 and 16 ohms. If the imped-
ance of any of the connected speakers is 4 ohms or