What's new

Suggestions for a set-up for good sound quality- limited budget (1 Viewer)

someet

Auditioning
Real Name
Someet
Hi,
I am very new to this field... would greatly appreciate some input. I do see a thread wrt a configuration for around $1000. Well, I too am looking for something similar but with perhaps different needs.

What are your suggestions of a set-up (reciever, speakers and cables) for the following needs:
  1. I do not think I will be able to upgrade very frequently... so i would want something that is the best that I can get for that kind of money and be safe (wrt new technologies - inputs etc) for atleast the next 4 yrs or so.
  2. Would like a 5.1 kind of a system may be (7.1)... but space could be limiting as of now... however, later on I might be able to plug in 2 additional speakers.
  3. Sound Quality is extremely important - I really dont care how loud it can get... I would not be using it for parties etc. Also, I do not play computer games that much... mainly music from my computer and sometimes movies and TV.
  4. Budget is around $1000... but somewhat flexible if it is a worthwhile upgrade... really dont want to be regretting
  5. I would like magnetic shielding
  6. I will use it for my living room.. which is not too big... so power might not be a big factor.... moreover I do not listen to the music very loud... - live in an apartment and have neighbors :)
  7. I would be mainly using it to connect it to my DVD player for movies (15% of the time) , to my TV (25% of the time) and to my computer for playing mp3s (60% of the time). In my computer I have the Cambridge X-Fi soundcard.
  8. Also, I have very little eperience is choosing the right connections and cables... basically I would like to connect my DVD player, TV, Computer and also have another free port - all at the same time and not have to worry about disconnecting and connecting back the wires

All suggestions are welcome... :)

Thanks

someet

Auditioning
Real Name
Someet
Anyone?

Do you think Bose Acoustimass AM-10 speakers with subwoofer along with Panasonic XR55 would be a good combination... or can I do better with that amount of money?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Onkyo tx-sr504 for receiver. 7.1, $250-300 (Circuit City has it on sale on their website for about $260.

Definitive technoligies pro cinema 60 package, 5 satelites and one small but awesome sub, $600-700.

Acoustic Research would work good for your interconnects and speaker wire.

And please, no Bose, to expensive for what you get.

Seth=L

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I like to recommend that people go auditioning and start listening to speakers and figure out what they like.

That being said, I also like to recommend the paradigm performance series as a good starting place for auditioning.

Jacob C

Second Unit
Have you considered starting with 2.1 and then adding the other speakers later? You will get much better sound quality for the money. I had about the same budget and I have the Panasonic xr57, a HSU STF-2, and I am waiting for a few $$ to order Ascend Acoustics 170's (Im using old speakers in the mean time). I was just unimpressed by any speakers cheap enough for a $1000 5.1. As mentioned before, Paradigm is a good place to start auditioning they have something for just about everyone.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
You don't need everything at once...

1) Get a good AVR with preamp outputs. Last year's or even the year before's model isn't going to have much different functionality than today's... And $300ish is a lot easier to stand than $900ish...

2) Stereo is okay for starters... If I was limited to one room on a budget, I'd go with magneplanar MMGs for the fronts ($550), and MMG-Ws for the sides ($300). No center. $300-400 will do a pair of Hafler P230s, with a little searching... Add in $250 for a build-it-yourself sub, and you're there...

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
How are the Magnepans on power handling? It would seem that such a design would have limitations on power handling. If they aren't they sound like an awesome deal.

Also are they cabable of beign bi-wired?

Seth=L

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The onkyo doesn't have pre-outs. Moreover, although the WRAT feature and the dynamic power ratings both imply 4-ohm compatibility, the manual warns against this. Magnepans are 4-ohm nominal, which often implies that the impedence dips to 2-3 ohms in places.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks