Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Halloween: 25 Years of Terror"...any replay value?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 scottWI

scottWI

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 07:15 AM

I was thinking of getting this, but would/does it have any replayability? Most extras on discs are like one time viewings and this is a 2-disc of simply extras. Really good extras, yes, but would it hold up on repeat viewings?

Thanks for replies...

#2 of 10 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,431 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 03 2006 - 08:35 AM

If you're asking that question, it means that it probably wouldn't be rewatchable for you. I've watched twice (once when I got it and a second time with a friend) and while it's interesting it's not a disc that I'll be watching every week.

#3 of 10 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 08:47 AM

See my review thread here:
http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=239105
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#4 of 10 scottWI

scottWI

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 08:57 AM

it's a good review Matt, but doesn't really tell me what I want to know...

#5 of 10 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,108 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted August 03 2006 - 09:01 AM

If you're a fan of the series then it's a must buy with plenty of replay value.

The reason I say that is most of the sequels don't feature any extras but with this 2-disc set you can watch one of the other films and then pop in this set to get the extras lacking in those releases.

#6 of 10 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 09:08 AM

Isn't your question a little too subjective? How do you define rewatchable?
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#7 of 10 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 09:12 AM

Quote:
"Halloween: 25 Years of Terror"...any replay value?
Very, very little.

The earlier documentaries (e.g., "Halloween Unmasked" and "A Cut Above The Rest") are much better than "25 Years Of Terror" (IMO). Although, of course, this new one does stretch its boundaries and talks about the sequels in a bit more depth. But it just didn't hit a home run, in my own personal view. (It's about a "two-bagger" when judging it on a baseball-flavored scale. And it just barely made it second, having to avert the tag at the last instant with a hook slide. Posted Image)

There's barely a sign of franchise star Jamie Lee Curtis in the new "25 Years" programs (and what is included with Jamie was simply culled from the earlier documentaries; I guess she must have gotten tired of saying the same thing over and over again in the new Halloween retrospectives that keep getting produced)..

And there's not very much to be seen or heard from John Carpenter or Nick Castle either, which was disappointing. (In fact, I'm not sure I spied Castle in there at all.)

The "Horror's Hallowed Grounds" segment was pretty good, though. Although the walk-and-talk tour through the Pasadena filming locations with P.J. Soles was certainly repetitive (it shows pretty much exactly the same thing that is included on one of the earlier docs, just taped on a different day). And it looked to me as if P.J. was a tad ill-at-ease during the "Hallowed Grounds" walk-through.

Disc 2 of the "25 Years" set, which features extended interviews and approx. half-hour chunks of the "2003 Convention Panels", is as dry as the Mojave. (Again, "IMO".)

The "Cut Above The Rest" documentary wins first prize in my book for Best Halloween Featurette (so far). Posted Image

I doubt I'll ever re-visit the new one (particularly Disc #2), especially when I know I could just as easily pop in either of the other documentaries mentioned.

#8 of 10 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 01:10 AM

Quote:
it's a good review Matt, but doesn't really tell me what I want to know...

My point was that a thread on your topic already existed. And I agree with others in that your question is a very subjective one. If you're the type of person that re-watches special features, you'll probably rewatch this. Otherwise, who knows.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#9 of 10 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 02:50 AM

I will probably only put this on every October, but for $11 I think it's worth it.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#10 of 10 scottWI

scottWI

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stone
My point was that a thread on your topic already existed. And I agree with others in that your question is a very subjective one. If you're the type of person that re-watches special features, you'll probably rewatch this. Otherwise, who knows.
i don't think you can say that the majority of dvd buyers really re-watch extras more than once, maybe twice. i don't think it is subjective at all. i would think the consensus would be non-rewatch.

Forum Nav Content I Follow