What's new

"Halloween: 25 Years of Terror"...any replay value? (1 Viewer)

scottWI

Agent
I was thinking of getting this, but would/does it have any replayability? Most extras on discs are like one time viewings and this is a 2-disc of simply extras. Really good extras, yes, but would it hold up on repeat viewings?

Thanks for replies...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If you're asking that question, it means that it probably wouldn't be rewatchable for you. I've watched twice (once when I got it and a second time with a friend) and while it's interesting it's not a disc that I'll be watching every week.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
If you're a fan of the series then it's a must buy with plenty of replay value.

The reason I say that is most of the sequels don't feature any extras but with this 2-disc set you can watch one of the other films and then pop in this set to get the extras lacking in those releases.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Very, very little.

The earlier documentaries (e.g., "Halloween Unmasked" and "A Cut Above The Rest") are much better than "25 Years Of Terror" (IMO). Although, of course, this new one does stretch its boundaries and talks about the sequels in a bit more depth. But it just didn't hit a home run, in my own personal view. (It's about a "two-bagger" when judging it on a baseball-flavored scale. And it just barely made it second, having to avert the tag at the last instant with a hook slide. :))

There's barely a sign of franchise star Jamie Lee Curtis in the new "25 Years" programs (and what is included with Jamie was simply culled from the earlier documentaries; I guess she must have gotten tired of saying the same thing over and over again in the new Halloween retrospectives that keep getting produced)..

And there's not very much to be seen or heard from John Carpenter or Nick Castle either, which was disappointing. (In fact, I'm not sure I spied Castle in there at all.)

The "Horror's Hallowed Grounds" segment was pretty good, though. Although the walk-and-talk tour through the Pasadena filming locations with P.J. Soles was certainly repetitive (it shows pretty much exactly the same thing that is included on one of the earlier docs, just taped on a different day). And it looked to me as if P.J. was a tad ill-at-ease during the "Hallowed Grounds" walk-through.

Disc 2 of the "25 Years" set, which features extended interviews and approx. half-hour chunks of the "2003 Convention Panels", is as dry as the Mojave. (Again, "IMO".)

The "Cut Above The Rest" documentary wins first prize in my book for Best Halloween Featurette (so far). :)

I doubt I'll ever re-visit the new one (particularly Disc #2), especially when I know I could just as easily pop in either of the other documentaries mentioned.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

My point was that a thread on your topic already existed. And I agree with others in that your question is a very subjective one. If you're the type of person that re-watches special features, you'll probably rewatch this. Otherwise, who knows.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I will probably only put this on every October, but for $11 I think it's worth it.

scottWI

Agent
i don't think you can say that the majority of dvd buyers really re-watch extras more than once, maybe twice. i don't think it is subjective at all. i would think the consensus would be non-rewatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks