What's new

*** Official THE DESCENT Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Interesting - this was released in the UK some time ago and is now on DVD. Have they changed the ending for the US release ?

The original ending was this
you thing the heroine has got out but then it suddenly cuts back to her still in the cave as the camera pulls back.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, the delay is weird because unlike most of the crap Lion's Gate releases, the reviews from the UK on this movie have been consistently very high :) You'd think they'd have wanted to get it out there sooner instead of sitting on it for a year.

They've also reportedly made some trims to the gore in the film, which makes the tv ads gloating about the film's "over the edge" bloodiness kind of ironic :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing it, though. From the way people I know have reacted to the glimpses of the cave, they wouldn't even have needed to have the monsters in there. Claustrophobia would have been enough.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Yes, Simon. They basically just cut that last 2 minutes out.

I just ordered the UK DVD with DTS. Awesome!

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Seeing this Friday because my crazy woman is forcing me to accompany her so she can feed her irrational obsession with mutant/ninja/redneck/imbred/immortal attack movies

derek

Second Unit
My guess on the delay was in deference to last years release 'The Cave' (Sony) which was very similarly themed and resulted in a box office bomb. Though I enjoyed it on DVD.

BryceRobson

Auditioning

I just read an interview with director Neil Marshall on ComingSoon.net where he said Lion's Gate wanted to put some space between "The Descent" and the bigger-budget, bigger disaster, "The Cave." Hence the release delay.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I was kind of confused by the theatrical ending, but the UK ending that I saw on YouTube helped clear that out. Why do studios think things need to be different from the original version?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Probably because Liongate test-marketed it and found that people wanted a more uplifting ending to Sarah's story given her past tragedies (spotlighted at the start of the film), so they cut it at the last scene for the US ending instead of letting it run with the UK's ending which is a smidge longer and ends on a more pessimistic note.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I read they changed the ending because audiences didn't dig the ending in the UK and it hurt the Box Office.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
I had no Knowledge going in that there was an alternate ending. I could definitely tell that there was something not right with the one in the film.

The alternate ending is much better.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
First off I loved the film. Solid thru and thru.

Regarding the ending, I'm a bit confused. I just came back from seeing it and the very last-last-shot was Sarah still in the cave.

It was clear to me that she didn't escape and just imagined it.

Anyone else catch this??

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just watched the original ending and indeed it was more downbeat, but still..the theatrical ending was by no means a "happy" one.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator

You guys really need to use spoiler tags, particularly for a movie like this.

And the U.S. and U.K. endings are drastically different. For anyone who only saw the U.S. ending,
the U.K. ending is viewable here to see what we missed. (I think this original ending was much, much better)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I thought spoiler tags were for before the film was released - its out now so we should be free to discuss it. If you look at my previous post I did use spoilers before it was released but its out now.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I thought this was a solid film. I don't hate the new ending, but the old one is superior. The new ending still works for me because it indicates that Sarah will be haunted by her guilt, as well as what happened to her husband and kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks