Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for some HD, PQ opinions...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 04:26 AM

I haven't heard much said about "Full Metal Jacket", or "Unforgiven"...either positive or negative. I'm getting an HD-A1 on Friday, and I'm looking for discs; not for demo purposes, but for the library. I'm wondering if these two titles in particular (already favorites) should be sought after, or more importantly...avoided.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted August 02 2006 - 04:50 AM

Greetings

Unforgiven looks the best it has ever looked ...

Robert Harris did a short write up on it ... search this section.

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=234489

one better

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 07:15 AM

FMJ looks pretty good as well. Not as good as some others but it's a great film and at great PQ.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 08:53 AM

The problem with FMJ is not that it looks bad (it doesn't), it's just that, on my set up at least, it is almost indistinguishable from the full frame DVD. I went back a forth repeatedly with these and everytime I thought I found a passage on the HD copy that would reveal its superiority, the dvd revealed nearly the same level of detail.

Like you, I bought it for the library because its a solid film. But if I had rented it out first and saw it, I probably wouldn't have bothered selling off my old copy for it. If you don't already own it, or want a copy with the theatrical framing, its a no brainer.

Unforgiven looks smashing!

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 09:09 AM

Thanks...that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I heard similar remarks about FMJ from one other source, but I wanted to hear more.

If anybody else has an opinion, technical or personal, I'd love to hear them.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 10:04 AM

Um. Mr. Harris also did a thread about the HD DVD of Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket -- and it was the thread that convinced me that, barring any unforseen format developments, I will be buying into HD DVD before year's end:

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=234490

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 07:13 AM

FYI, "FMJ" is a 1920x540 transfer. It does look better than the SD DVD, abet with different framing. So the WB disc is the best presentation ever, on home video.
However, it does not take full advantage of all HD disc has to offer (1920x1080).

Maybe, WB will release this title on BD correctly (just watchout for a possible 25GB MPEG-2 transfer in that format).

Great Film!!!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!