What's new

Looking for some HD, PQ opinions... (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard much said about "Full Metal Jacket", or "Unforgiven"...either positive or negative. I'm getting an HD-A1 on Friday, and I'm looking for discs; not for demo purposes, but for the library. I'm wondering if these two titles in particular (already favorites) should be sought after, or more importantly...avoided.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
FMJ looks pretty good as well. Not as good as some others but it's a great film and at great PQ.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The problem with FMJ is not that it looks bad (it doesn't), it's just that, on my set up at least, it is almost indistinguishable from the full frame DVD. I went back a forth repeatedly with these and everytime I thought I found a passage on the HD copy that would reveal its superiority, the dvd revealed nearly the same level of detail.

Like you, I bought it for the library because its a solid film. But if I had rented it out first and saw it, I probably wouldn't have bothered selling off my old copy for it. If you don't already own it, or want a copy with the theatrical framing, its a no brainer.

Unforgiven looks smashing!

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Thanks...that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I heard similar remarks about FMJ from one other source, but I wanted to hear more.

If anybody else has an opinion, technical or personal, I'd love to hear them.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
FYI, "FMJ" is a 1920x540 transfer. It does look better than the SD DVD, abet with different framing. So the WB disc is the best presentation ever, on home video.
However, it does not take full advantage of all HD disc has to offer (1920x1080).

Maybe, WB will release this title on BD correctly (just watchout for a possible 25GB MPEG-2 transfer in that format).

Great Film!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks