Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Buffy on sale, and I need some convincing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#1 of 81 OFFLINE   JoePassmore

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 01:56 AM

Okay, the Buffy complete series collection is on sale at Futureshop for only $139.99. Still kinda steep, but a huge deal for the whole run and I need convincing....

http://www.futuresho....92&catid=11010

#2 of 81 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted August 01 2006 - 02:39 AM

If you like anything that Joss has done (Firefly, Angel etc.) then it is a must buy.

I took the plunge into the Buffyverse late, and am glad I did.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#3 of 81 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 03:20 AM

I would wait until the thinpack sets are release because they should be coming soon.

#4 of 81 OFFLINE   Johnny S

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge
I would wait until the thinpack sets are release because they should be coming soon.

The thinpack sets were released on May 30th.

For that price, the complete series set is cheaper then the thinpack sets. That averages out to $20 a season... Most Buffy fans paid $60 per season so that is a great deal. Now as for wether you would enjoy the series or not... Perhaps you should provide a list of your favourites, so we know what type of series you prefer. Nevertheless, I would recommend Buffy to anybody because I think it is just that amazing. The character development is second to none & the story arcs are incredible. Dive into it & I can say with great confidence that you will be in awe by the time you reach the end of season 2.
Favourite Series: Friends, Angel, The Simpsons, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, How I Met Your Mother, The King Of Queens, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Will & Grace and Brothers & Sisters.

#5 of 81 OFFLINE   Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 05:36 AM

According to Amazon, the thinkpack sets are already out. They're also selling for anywhere between $26.52 to $35.99 per season, for a sell-through of over US$200 for the entire run. (And it's the short first season that has the highest price tag. What the...!) The box set also contains a bonus disc with extras that aren't on any of the individual discs. I'm sorely tempted to pick this up, but can't justify spending over $100 for *one* bonus disc when I already have the rest of the material. However, if I were buying it without already having anything, this is a great deal.

The packaging is different from either the original releases or the thinpacks; see the customer photos on Amazon's listing. I don't love this "booklet" style of packaging, but find it a lot easier to deal with than the original releases' gatefolds.

Also lots of good reviews over on Amazon's listing, as well as some threads currently running here at HTF, if you still need convincing! It's a terrific series, best seen in order, not dipping randomly into episodes here and there. Most episodes have a storyline that's contained and resolved within an episode or two, but there are also season-long arcs and developing/changing relationships that are going to be hard to get a handle on if you don't see them in order.

Mary

#6 of 81 OFFLINE   JoePassmore

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, I've seen the thinpaks here; and I've got Angel s.1-4 and Firefly already. I have little doubt I'd enjoy it, but damn....$140 plus tax...

#7 of 81 OFFLINE   Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 06:58 AM

Yeah, but $140 plus tax for *seven* seasons, 144 television hours (per epguides.com) plus extras. That's gotta be a near-record per-episode low for something that isn't a public domain knockoff.

I can understand the reluctance to shell out that much all in one go if you're not 100% sure about it. If you've already seen and liked Angel and Firefly though, I'd say it's a slam-dunk, but that's me. Have you considered renting a few discs first? Know anyone you can borrow some discs from before you buy?

#8 of 81 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 07:11 AM

Buffy rules!
Get it!

#9 of 81 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 07:24 AM

despite a few old geezers who dismiss the show as crap because 1. the title (I mean, lo and behold, a show named Buffy The Vampire Slayer cannot be decent, can it?) and 2. it aired after 1970... (go back about 2 months and you'll see what I'm talking about. A couple of older posters were laughing and dismissing me and comparing me to a 3 year old for saying Buffy and Angel were easily two of the best shows of the past decade, and possibly ever. Even though the overwhelming majority on the board feels the way I do), you'll see that most people actually would definately recommend checking Buffy out. Tho I wholeheartedly recommend not basing your opinion on the show with the first season. It's really in season 2 (episodes like School Hard and Halloween, but REALLY Surprise/Innocense) when the show becomes what everyone raves about.

#10 of 81 OFFLINE   JoePassmore

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the first season. I think I'd have to jump off the roof if I bought it and it sucked right out of the gate....

#11 of 81 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 08:20 AM

Buffy's first season is cute, but it's very different than the rest of the series. Seasons 2-7 are all extremely arc-driven and where if you miss an episode, you're really missing a lot of vital stuff to the show, the first season is more standalone and about "Monster Of The Week", but nonetheless, needs to be watched anyways, at least the two-part premiere, The Witch, Angel and Prophecy Girl. Plus, the drama gets deeper and the story gets more in-depth in subsequent seasons, the first season is more camp.

#12 of 81 OFFLINE   JoePassmore

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 11:57 AM

Okay, I caved and picked it up after work tonight; I love the packaging on it. I should be able to start in on it after I make my way thru West Wing (nearing the end of season 5).

#13 of 81 OFFLINE   Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 03:02 PM

I don't think you'll be sorry -- enjoy!

#14 of 81 OFFLINE   Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 06:42 PM

It doesn't suck right out of the gate. It's cute and fun to watch for a few eps with a couple of great eps in the mix. It's just that you won't really see what all the fuss is about until momentum starts building in season 2.

#15 of 81 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 08:04 PM

Both TV Guide and Entertainment weekly consider Buffy one of the best TV shows ever!
Season one is good, has a couple of clunkers but once season 2 takes off, look out...

#16 of 81 OFFLINE   Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 06:09 AM

I've never watched it (I find Sarah Michelle Gellar grating) but I loved Firefly so I'm thinking I might give it a try. I'm lucky though that my sister is a HUGE Whedon fan and has everything on dvd. So that series is a phone call away.

btw, if you're a Whedon devotee check out his work on Astonishing X-Men. He's done 15 issues of the comic so far and they read just like his tv work.
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#17 of 81 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Clarke
I've never watched it (I find Sarah Michelle Gellar grating)

you'd be surprised at how many Buffy fans don't care for SMG. I've heard the words "ungrateful" and the word that starts with B used to describe her by a lot of people who are hardcore Buffy fans.

#18 of 81 OFFLINE   Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 01:17 PM

This huge Buffy fan finds her irritating sometimes. But I do think that helps make the show what it is.

#19 of 81 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 06:09 PM

The actress and character are separate in my book.
It's called suspension of belief...

Posted Image

#20 of 81 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted August 03 2006 - 02:17 AM

I tend to agree the the previous statements. Out of all the characters in the Buffyverse, Buffy is near the bottom for me. Mostly due to Sarah.

This really points out how good the show must be if you can not like the title character and yet still like the show.

Blade: The Series, is the same with me now. Hate the guy playing Blade, but I am diging the show.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

Forum Nav Content I Follow