Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paper or Plastic?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 02:38 PM

I've recently become a convert to paper grocery bags vs plastic. Not because paper is biodegradable but because the baggers at all the supermarkets I go to never put more than 3 items in each plastic bag, often only one or two, whereas they can usually get all my purchases (I stop at the store every night on the way home from work so rarely have a huge order) into just one paper bag, making it a lot easier for me to get from the car into the house.

I've also found that it's much easier for stuff to roll out of the plastic bags while they're in the car trunk and get lost amid all the other junk in the trunk, sometimes resulting in nasty odors after a few days, and the paper bags make perfect liners for the wastepaper baskets in my computer area and living room.

So what does everybody else ask for?
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 02:46 PM

Plastic. With a lot of items, it's easier to carry every bag and open doors that way.
Quote:
I've also found that it's much easier for stuff to roll out of the plastic bags while they're in the car trunk
The plastic bags work much better in the back seat. They confrom to the seat (and each other) and I find they don't move around that way.

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 31 2006 - 03:58 PM

Definitely plastic bags for the handles. Many newer cars also have hooks for grocery bags so they don't spill over and roll around.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,909 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 31 2006 - 04:32 PM

Probably a poll, but paper. I use them for trash bags. I would pay for them, actually, but they don't offer them for sale, so I usually take a few extra.

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,237 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 31 2006 - 04:43 PM

Plastic is definitely easier to carry and load into the van (it does have those hooks for the plastic bag handles). But, we've also got one of those under-the-sink sliding trays that holds paper bags for kitchen trash. So, paper wins out at our house. Some stores don't use paper any more where we are. At those that do, the kid baggers will oftimes give you the evil eye when you ask for "paper". Punks! Posted Image Whippersnappers! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 04:44 PM

I used to like plastic, but recently the grocery store downgraded to an extremely thin bag which would be punctured by the corners of cardboard-boxed food, and the handle would tear away if anything as heavy has a 2-litre bottle were placed in it. So I switched back to paper, its just sturdier.

Except at ALDI, their plastic are heavy enough to be used as sandbags should the need arise.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 04:49 PM

Neither. I take my own plastic buckets to but the items in while shopping and then just transfer the bin to the car and then to the house. No need for bags.

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,658 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted July 31 2006 - 11:38 PM

I use plastic because like others have said, I use them for garbage bags. As I don't produce much garbage, I don't need the larger paper ones. The folks that do give me paper bags, I will save then give them to my parents who do use paper bags for their daily garbage output.

If I didn't reuse the bags, I would certainly bring my own and reuse them over and over again, so it would most likely be a reusable canvas bag. (answer: C-None of the above Posted Image )

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   MichaelBA

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 01:54 AM

Plastic, for the handles. Except Trader Joe's paper bags, which are very firm, stand up straight, and have handles!Posted Image
He's got the bit between his teeth... all right!

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Robbie R

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 02:01 AM

Plastic for me.

I re-use them for picking up our dogs.....................well, you know. Posted Image

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   KevinGress

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

• 655 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 03:08 AM

Plastic for the handles and the ability to reuse them later for trash or other.

With the paper bags I've come across either the handles aren't sturdy enough to support the weight or they tore too easily.

I also like the canvas bags, but they aren't offered where I am.

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBA
Plastic, for the handles. Except Trader Joe's paper bags, which are very firm, stand up straight, and have handles!Posted Image
Agreed, I love those bags.

But as others have said, I find that I reuse the plastic bags a lot more than paper bags.

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,337 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 03:29 AM

C'mon Steve, 1999? You know this is so a poll. Posted Image

Anyways, when you're carrying $200 in groceries, walking from your car to your building and climbing a flight of stairs; plastic with the handles all the way!!! You got to make it in one trip.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 05:50 AM

Paper please. Last trip to the store (new one for me) I asked for paper bags, which they provided, and then after filling the paper bags they put the whole thing into a plastic bag.....go figure. What I'd really prefer is they teach these morons the reason that bread, eggs, tomatoes and the like, should not be on the bottom UNDER the canned goods.

Mort

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
What I'd really prefer is they teach these morons the reason that bread, eggs, tomatoes and the like, should not be on the bottom UNDER the canned goods.
Homer: Mmmmmm, squished bread. Posted Image

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 07:13 AM

My grocery store puts paper bags inside of the plastic bags by default.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 07:21 AM

I noticed at "Whole Foods" that they only offer plastic. The sign said that they were more environmentally friendly because they required less energy to produce.

I select plastic for the handles, which makes it easier to negotiate three flights of stairs in one trip.

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 08:46 AM

I prefer paper but always get plastic since that is all that is offered.

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,658 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted August 01 2006 - 11:32 AM

Quote:
I noticed at "Whole Foods" that they only offer plastic. The sign said that they were more environmentally friendly because they required less energy to produce.

I've heard that before... Really the best one is one that is reused though, whether that is paper or plastic.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 12:45 PM

Quote:
I've read that this has mostly to do with the fact that plastic bags are lighter- pound for pound, plastic holds way more, thus reducing the shipping cost of the bags.

As Jay noted, I'd prefer to just reuse a bag many times (we do reuse all the plastic bags- trash, dog doo-doo, depriving my children of air when neededPosted Image, etc). However, rolling up to the grocery and getting out of my no-emissions, carbureted 1980 Z28 with a canvas "save the planet" bag seems wrong somehow.Posted Image
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow