What's new

Phobias. What are you afraid of? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I was just over in the 'After hours' area and was in a thread about ants and how to kill them, anyway I posted in the thread and brought up how much I fear/hate bugs, waterbugs specifically.
Unlike most out their with phobias, I ACTUALLY KNOW where my phobia came from. When I was small like 4 and 5 and my dad and me were in the yard of our house, he used to throw grasshoppers on me! He didn't do it to be mean, he was just trying to get me to play with them, but it terrified me! As a result, as an adult I am petrified of bugs! Small insects like flies, ants, some spiders I can deal with, but anything longer than an inch, forget it, I freak!
Also, I suffer from severe virtigo, fear of heights for the ones that don't know. When I say severe, I mean that if I even look up at a tall building from the ground, I start to feel dizzy. I can't go up in a tall building either. If you put me in a room with no windows, and told me that I was on the top floor of the world trade center, this is not a joke, I would pass out! Just simply KNOWING that a couple hundred stories were beneath my feet would be enough to put me out!
Other than that, i'm fine.
biggrin.gif

So how about you guys and gals, what are you truly afraid of?
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento

G Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I know where your coming from with the Vertigo fear. I suffer the same. I was in an elevator the other day on the 11th floor and there is a tiny gap between the elvevator and the floor (where you step into the elevator) and the lights were on in the basement and when I looked down, my knees nearly gave way.
------------------

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
HTF Admins
biggrin.gif

~uh oh their gonna get me now!
[Edited last by Oscar W on September 04, 2001 at 01:46 AM]

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Basically the usual stuff, bugs, particularly spiders, and heights. I'm not afraid of the dark, but moving around in dark places where I can't really see much and have to feel my way around, usually kicks my imagination in gear with regards to the bugs phobia as well.
------------------
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Spiders, essentially anything that crawls and has 6 or more legs.
Dogs, they always raise their hackles and bark when they see me.
Staked to the ground in a burning desert, red ants crawling all over me.
Being tied to a chair and tortured by short bald German dentists.
Sentenced to hang in the electric chair, is a recurring phobia.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Being lost, especially in the woods. There is absolutely nothing scarier than being alone with nothing familiar nearby or any idea of how to get to something familiar.
(This is, of course, part of the reason The Blair Witch Project is one of the few truly scary movies to come out in the past few years. Starts out with being lost in the woods and then makes it worse)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I have 4 Phobias:
1.Salt Water(After Jaws and all those Discovery Channel documentaries-no way-If I was ever in a boat that was going down...
eek.gif
I think Im might do myself in before Id let myself go in deep water)Yet another shark attack in the news last night, I believe that like the 4th one in about a month.
2.Worms
3.Roaches
4.Heights(But I love to fly, Tall buildings are ok,butI cant get close to the glass-I looked over a balcony from 13 floors up and got horrible Vertigo,became sick and dizzy.I cant get on a tall ladder or on a roof-I think it may be more of a feel of falling not sure)
5.Being piss poor
People think 2 and 3 are especially amusing since im 6'1 230 pounds.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on September 05, 2001 at 07:48 AM]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I suffer from Phobiaphobia - the fear of phobias.
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if use that line in my next western?"

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to say darkness does it to me. Anytime I'm alone my mind plays tricks on me. I hear things, see things, and I swear all eyes are on me.
Brent L

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
SPIDERS scare the living BeJeezus out of me. I can barely see them on TV without having some sort of adrenaline rush. Some of my friends have suggested overload therapy but I am sure I would die of a heart attack.
I am also slightly scared of heights. I can be high up but if I am unsure of what is holding me I freak out. Also, I can climb up a ladder or tree fine but the same can't be said when it comes times to come down.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Nonanamorphic DVD Transfers!
eek.gif

[Edited last by Rob Tomlin on September 04, 2001 at 03:40 PM]

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Im not really SCARED of these, like i wouldnt faint, but i try to avoid them...
1. Spiders/Big Bugs
2. Walking in the wild when there are signs warning of dangerous animals (cougars, rattlesnakes, bears)
3. Clowns (IT!!!)
4. Chucky-Esque puppets
5. Heights (Except when im inside. If im standing outside on a tall balcony, then i get scared)
6. Driving/biking along a 1-lane trail with a steep dropoff on one side
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
It's not really a phobia but I can't stand having things around my neck -- ties, turtlenecks, scarves, etc. When I was a kid a friend of mine was strangled by her scarf while climbing over a fence so I know full well where this fear originates.
For a great coffee table attention getter check out "The Pop-Up Book of Phobias." It's a disturbing and surreal look at various phobias each of which is illustrated by a pop-up highlighting what causes that particular fear. Nothing like opening a book only to find a dentist's drill coming at you.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
dentists...its not so much i'm afraid of them just we don't get along to well LOL
My only real fear is very small dark places...I hate not being able to move so caving has very little appeal to me :)
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

Users who are viewing this thread