Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Trying to find an oldish documentary

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 12:59 PM

Okay, I've a bit of a problem. I'm trying to track down a documentary I saw when I was in high school chemistry. For reference, I was in high school chemistry the school-year 1988-89.

1. I have no idea what format it was - 16mm or VHS or VHS dub of cable/PBS broadcast.

2. I have no idea what the title is.

3. The subject was gold. It covered all sorts of things from mining and smuggling, to cooking with - some restaurant that put gold leaf on their chocolate cakes, as well as Julia Childs cooking with a solid gold pan.

I'm failrly certain that I'm not making this up, 'cause if you google-search for that sort of thing, I've managed to come up with two other references - though no useful information.

I'm really looking for the sequence with Julia Childs for a project at work, and I'm not sure if they believe me that it ever existed!

Leo Kerr

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted July 31 2006 - 01:45 PM

Even if it did exist and you could find out the title of it and everything, what are the chances that an old PBS program about gold from the '80s has been released on DVD? Maybe if you do find out what it is you can check your local library for VHS if it's not on DVD.

EDIT: Maybe you're not looking for it on DVD, but I just assumed you were anyway. Posted Image
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 03:02 PM

If it had Julia Child in it, there's a decent chance it came from WGBH Boston, which was then (as it still is) a big source of educational/PBS programming. You might try contacting them ; most of their productions seem to have had at least a limited video availability. They even supplied DiscoVision with a group of Julia Child cooking shows, for the "educational" category.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 06:00 PM

If it made connections between the most unlikely things, from the steam engine to how we clean clothes, it may have been Connections. An excellent series with a British host. I don't recall if they made an episode about gold.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 01:44 AM

No, it predated Connections by a fair amount. Given my memories of what it looked like, I'd guess that it was made perhaps as early as the late 1970s, maybe into the mid 1980s.

At this point, while it'd be nice if a clean DVD print showed up, I'd take a lousy VHS or even a 1" Ampex type C reel.

The idea of shaking a cage at WGBH might be useful; even if it wasn't theirs, they might have someone there who knows more about it than I do...

Leo

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 11:00 AM

Ok, but for the record, Connections aired in 1976.

"1976-1979 Connections (BBC / Time Life). Ten-part series surveying the history of technology and social change. When first broadcast in the USA (PBS), it achieved the highest-ever audience for a documentary series. The series is used in over 350 colleges and universities in the USA. To date, Connections has been broadcast in over 95 countries."
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 12:00 AM

Ah, well, I thought Connections was a more recent program.

Leo

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   CraigAllen

CraigAllen

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 04:17 AM

I believe this was a National Geographic special from the late 70s on PBS. I remember the gold covered cake from it. I think it was released on VHS years ago.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   georgexu316

georgexu316

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 04:50 AM

Hey, I'm looking for the same thing. Did you have any luck on that?

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 11 2009 - 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Kerr
Ah, well, I thought Connections was a more recent program.

Leo

James Burke did at least two later Connections series, not to mention The Day the Universe Changed, so you may have been thinking of one of those. I doubt that one of Burke's series is the source of what you're thinking about, though, because the whole concept of that show was how one thing led to something completely different. I don't recall that he ever did an episode that concentrated on a single thing like gold and traced its history and uses.

Having said that, I can't find anything else that matches your description. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAllen
I believe this was a National Geographic special from the late 70s on PBS. I remember the gold covered cake from it. I think it was released on VHS years ago.
Yes, it sounds like one of those National Geographic documentaries I rented on tape a long time ago. They did a special on gold.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted January 11 2009 - 11:54 AM

oh, wow; I had almost forgotten about this thread, but still remember the search.

No, I never was able to track it down. Although if it does appear somewhere, I'd love to know more details about it.. the project is mostly finished (still some arguments about captioning: the real word or the pronunciation of it?) but I think the people I was working with would like to have seen it...

Leo

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   georgexu316

georgexu316

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 07:12 AM

I'm looking for this video for a research project, though I never seen it myself, I was told to look for it. Do you remember any more details? Was this a program hosted by Julia or was she just featured in it? Any details would be helpful.
Thanks
Xiao Xu

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted January 15 2009 - 12:18 PM

As I recall it, she was called in as a consultant on "how well can you cook with it?" and proceeded to cook a chicken à lá king or some other similar chicken sauté with a cream sauce.

Her section was actually fairly short -- just a minute or two in a ~50 minute program.

Likewise, my recollection has the bit on smuggling gold at the very end, showing vests with many hidden pockets to hold 1 ounce mini-bars of gold inside them.

Hmm.. I wonder if my old chemistry teacher (a) is still teaching, and (b) is on e-mail?

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted January 16 2009 - 03:56 AM

If it could have been 1980, it could have been the National Geographic Special "Gold" See here

"National Geographic Specials" (1964) - Awards

3rd box, best edited documentary 1980. That might help track it down through interlibrary loan or something. A little bit early for video, so maybe it was 16mm film.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   georgexu316

georgexu316

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted January 24 2009 - 10:30 AM

Hey Leo, do you think you can maybe contact your chemistry teacher to ask about the video?
I appreciate it

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted January 25 2009 - 12:03 AM

I looked into it. It appears that she's long-since retired, along with just about everyone else in the Science department at my hold high school that might have remembered me or her.

Leo

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   GoldFryingPan

GoldFryingPan

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 09 2010 - 10:04 PM

Julia's gold pan is referenced here http://books.google....ing pan&f=false

It might be the documentary series "The Ring of Truth" by physicist Phillip Morrison, who lived next door to Julia Child. The series is on viddler.

Forum Nav Content I Follow