What's new

Little Miss Sunshine (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I know that it is playing in select theatres, but I'm going to a free screening on Wednesday while I'm on vacation in Arizona, so I thought that I would start a thread about the movie.

Has anyone seen it yet, and if so, how is it?

If you have not seen it, are you at least interested in wanting to see it?

I'm just curious how many people up here are interested in the movie.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
One of the best films I've seen this year. I was stunned at how brilliantly this film walks the line and manages to put together funny moments while staying very "real". You feel for the characters and it never seems to reach into a cliche. The film is very broad comic effect that really sticks with you.

When I watched it, I tried to think of any other comedy that it reminded me of. And it took me a very long time to think of almost any within the same general area. But it has almost the same kind of mindset as something like "Harold & Maude".

The script is brilliant, and it gets sentimental in moments but not in some schmaltzy over the top way. It just really plays itself so well that I found myself laughing hard and at the same time I really cared about the characters.

There are very few films this year I will probably recommend as strongly as "Little Miss Sunshine". There are some moments I didn't care for as much, but the film as a whole left me walking out and thinking that it's definitely amongst the best I've seen this year so far.

And I'll stick by that ;)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I went to a free screening of this last week. I agree with Chris, one of the best films I've seen this year as well.

Although the characters were entirely "real", I found the way they handled some of the situations were a tad over the top.

"stealing" the grandfather's body and stowing it in the trunk? Led to a hilarious scene with the cop, though!

Steve Carrell does a great job in a more 'serious' role, and the actress who plays Olive, the little girl, delivers a performance that Dakota Fanning could only dream of.

The exchange between
The grandfather and Olive the night before he died was pretty heart-warming.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I'm in agreement with both of you guys. It is one of the best films of the year, and one of the finest films to come out in quite a while. It's very funny, very heartfelt, and everyone plays it perfectly.

After the free screening I attended, there was a Q&A with directors Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Ferris and they talked about the movie as well as their music video directing days as well. They also gave out signed mini-posters for free. When I got up there, I told them that they had made an excellent film and that they should be very proud of it, which it seems that they are.

Don't be surprised if this has enough buzz to become a dark horse at the Oscars this year. That would make my day.

Rating: **** out of ****

Nathan A

Second Unit
I saw a preview for this while watching A Scanner Darkly last week.

I want to see Little Miss Sunshine. It looked funny, and, surprisingly, Steve Carell seemed funny without really being over the top. I don't get excited about many comedies (maybe 1-2 a year), but this is one of them. Anywho, it's being released in Dallas next weekend, and I'm looking forward to it!

They also showed a preview for The Science of Sleep, which looked amazing. Really amazing. Must resist letting expectations get too big. Two good previews in one sitting at an AMC theater! I suppose it makes up for the 10 minute commercial for Click they made me sit through last time.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
All the actors are good in this film, but special mention goes to Greg Kinnear and Abigail Breslin. They both deserve nominations.

Truth. It also played as cathartic relief from the creepiness of the kiddie pageant show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was hurting from laughing hard in many spots with this film. It features some really good emsemble acting, and the writing is humorous, plus the comedic touch from the direction was very entertaining, and the pacing was on the mark. This is one of those films where you actually want to know what else happens to this family when it ends. It plays that "true", and in light of what else it says about the pageants for very young girls, it's a stitch to see the reactions of the attendees and judges at Miss Little Sunshine pageant as it concludes in unexpected fashion.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
My wife and I saw Little Miss Sunshine last night and absolutely loved it.

The acting, directing and pacing were all spot on.

The characters and story were somehow crazy and believable at the same time.

Highly recommended.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I agree with everyone here. Little Miss Sunshine is not only the funniest film of the year, and one of the sweetest, it is simply one of the best.

The 6 main performances are all award-worthy. Greg Kinnear never gets enough respect for his work, IMO, probably because he makes it look so easy. Toni Collette is her usual superb self here. Alan Arkin is hilarious. Paul Dano nails the difficult role of Dwayne. Steve Carell continues his fine work of late with a role that many are saying will bring him an Oscar nod.

This family is at times seemingly held together only by their unabashed love for little Olive. In the same way, Abigail Breslin is the heart & soul of this film. She's not an "old soul" like talented child actress Dakota Fanning, she's a real little kid, and this film simply would not work without her performance. I hope she is recognized come awards time.

The only cloud in this film's future is the return of the JonBenet Ramsey case to the headlines in the past week. You can't help but be reminded of that tragedy as you're watching the other LMS contestents, made up to look like like grotesque Barbie dolls on parade. When Olive begins to perform her startingly inappropriate talent routine (devised by her Grampa), the film threatens to derail badly. But as her family joins her onstage amidst the chaos, the moment becomes celebratory. This film walks quite a tightrope at times, but in the end it never ever loses its balance. It's quite a remarkable feat.

I saw LMS with a fairly full house this afternoon, and it was one of those times when you could just feel an entire audience embrace a film. Hopefully good word-of-mouth will propel Little Miss Sunshine to much-deserved success.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I agree, as well. I saw this the other night with my wife (our 11th wedding anniversary). I had little knowledge of the film except for the main players and some brief reviews I read in EW and online. She picked this one (I picked Miami Vice when we went out for her birthday).

What a great film. Funny/sad/heart-warming don't even scratch the surface. The performances are all stand-outs and the script is incredible -- it would work on stage as a play.

You love the characters and their struggle culminates in a fantastic ending.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I quite enjoyed this movie, an interesting, charming cast, definitely surprises you at every turn, but I think it's getting a little overpraised (typical of such gems), and that will lead to many dissapointments when it crosses over to the mainstream as it seems poised to do.

--
H

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I agree, to some extent. It's not a comedy per se and I think people may go in expecting a laugh out loud riot rather than a quiet film with occasional humorous moments. I liken its tone to something like Junebug or TransAmerica, rather than The 40 Year Old Virgin.

It's up to us to make sure the word of mouth includes the film's tender, human moments supported by great performances by the actors.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
The girl who played Olive was a terrific actress; the whole ensemble was extremely well cast, IMO.

This has a nice mix of laugh-out-loud moments with heartfelt emotions and many up-and-down family experiences in the extreme.

I agree, there were many times LMS could have derailed and stopped working, but it always struck the right note between funny/sad/heart-warming.

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
I was pleasantly surprised with this film. I saw the trailer many times and it didn’t look very interesting to me. I was so uninterested that I never even read one review of the film.

Well thank God I went to see it because it was great. This is so far my pick for best comedy of the year and one of the best films of 2006.

The quirky Hoover family grows on you like a fungus as they begin their trek on the road in a beat up van to get little seven-year-old Olive to her beauty contest in California.

The humor is layered perfectly beginning with family differences and interaction problems then it moves into a flat out laugh fest with an unforgettable ending that is sure to make you laugh.

The acting is perfect as each character is a little separate story in a nutshell. The writing for this film never falters even when it appeared to be heading down typical ground with a dead body.

This is a great movie, which definitely deserves its high praise.

A+

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Word of mouth seems to be working for LMS, which rose to Number 3 at the box office this weekend after doubling its screen count. Good to see this wonderful little film finding an audience.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

I agree. I'm a big fan and had a Greg Kinnear weekend with this and "Invincible". I'm convinced he will win an Academy Award one day.

As this is being touted in ads as "hilarious" and such, I wasn't sure if I'd like it as I'm more of a drama person. However, it was a wonderfully balanced blend of the tragic with the funny.

MatS

Screenwriter
as someone who is not big on hype
this flick certainly lived up to all of the praise

great dramady and best flick of the year

RichardK

Second Unit
went to see this over the weekend with my wife. We loved the movie, I didnt want it to end. If I could have, I would have watched it again, right then and there! Very funny and heart wrenching at the same time.

Great talent act!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks