-

Photo
- - - - -

Kim Possible fans break Disney policy!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 12:40 PM

This is probably very old news but I just found out today from my wife.

Kim Possible is a well liked Disney series.

Disney has had a policy that no series will go longer than 65 episodes(or 3 seasons).

Kim Possible reached then end and fans pummeled Disney in numerous ways and were affective.

Disney has officially called for a 4th season of Kim Possible to start in October.

As a dad of a 7 year old girl, I am highly thankful as Kim Possible is one of the few "kiddie" cartoons that I can watch with her with out thinking of "the good old days cartoons"

Andy

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 31 2006 - 01:14 PM

I'm also glad to hear this. Disney has killed far too many "good" toons in the past which were good ideas because of their arbitrary limit.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 02:23 PM

This is the first time I've heard of this rule and I just can't believe that ole money hungry Disney would shun away potential earnings.

However, there are plenty of Disney toons that I've come to notice that ended shortly - just look at Disney's 1 Saturday Morning or One Two on Sundays.

Recess and Pepper Ann were two really good toones that ended before their time.

Thanks for the heads up on Kim Possible!

ry

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAn
This is the first time I've heard of this rule and I just can't believe that ole money hungry Disney would shun away potential earnings.

Here is a detailed history of this policy

http://kp.savedisney....org/page3.html

Andy

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 01 2006 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Bu
Here is a detailed history of this policy

http://kp.savedisney....org/page3.html
That page is not exactly the best reasoned indictment of Michael Eisner that I have read. Posted Image One man's greedily not letting a show go beyond three seasons is another man's nobly choosing not to milk the cash cow.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 03:05 AM

But DuckTales didn't end after 65 episodes? Was this policy introduced after that?

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   rutger_s

rutger_s

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 03:37 AM

Only the Disney Channel had the 65 episode rule.

Before Kim Possible, That's So Raven was the first show to break the 65 policy.

Disney Channel executives felt that after 65 episodes, a show can go "stale" and lose viewer interest so they instituted this policy.

The Kim Possible television movie 'So The Drama' even has a reference to the rule when Ron is getting ready for the prom. You can see he has a flyer with "No to 65" written on it.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 04:37 AM

Quote:
Disney Channel executives felt that after 65 episodes, a show can go "stale" and lose viewer interest so they instituted this policy.

It's more that after three years the kids who've been watching the show from the beginning will be getting too old to enjoy it, and it's easier to get younger children interested in a new series than one that's still running.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 05:21 AM

So not the drama. If Dr. Drakken can't kill Kim, what chance does Disney have?

Honestly, I don't see why Disney would instate such a rule. My 3, 7, and 10 year olds all love it. I have even found it to be somewhat popular with High School students (a family friend of ours is a lead cheerleader and our kids refer to her as Kim Possible, and she and all of her friends at very familiar with the show). I practice martial arts at a Junior High School, and at least one piece of student art depicting Kim Possible was on display in the auditorium.
Scott

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 08:44 AM

I hope Lilo and Stitch bucks this trend; after all, there are 626 experiments!
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   *~MelissaRogers~*

*~MelissaRogers~*

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 07:26 AM

I personally don't like KP, but I'm an avid Disney Channel fan...and this is good news to me only because maybe they'll allow more shows to run longer. I'm not surprised that Raven broke the 65ep curse...because that show is making BANK for Disney [not like they need any more money]

I just hope, because of KP, more disney shows will run longer. Posted Image

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 03 2006 - 03:30 AM

My thoughts exactly!

Kim Possible is one of the few shows that appeals to a wide age range. Even my wife likes it!

I'd like to see Lilo & Stitch continue, myself. Posted Image (A fun show and a SEVERELY underappreciated movie.)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 05:43 PM

How does the Disney Channel make money on specific shows? Their commercial breaks only promote other Disney stuff. Is it the merchandising?

I've liked Even Stevens for a few years now. Haven't seen Kim Possible but I'll check it out. I liked Lilo and Stitch a lot, but I haven't seen the show.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   rutger_s

rutger_s

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 05:59 PM

They make money like every other station...

Commercials.

Disney also has the benefit of a "Toon Disney" channel that brings in more ad-revenue.

What I liked today (8-7-06) was that the Toon Disney channel aired "Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch Has A Glitch" in its original AR. Granted it had commercials but it was great to see this on a Disney channel.

And as the great and powerful Yogurt once said:

"Merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made."

There are video games, dolls(Kim Possible)/action figures(Ron Stoppable & Rufus), clothing, and DVDs.

By the way...this show does appeal to all ages. One of my managers who is around 25 dressed up as Kim for Halloween about two years ago.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 07:15 PM

This is wonderful news! And you're not kidding about it appealing to a wide age range. This means there will be one less thing for my 27 year old brother (a huge Kimmie fan) to piss and moan about. The "Lame" shows ALWAYS stay on "f*&%in' forever," according to little bro, while the "f*&%in' awesome" ones are ALWAYS cancelled too soon.

Before anyone asks, yes, I worry about this kid. Posted Image
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 08 2006 - 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutger_s
They make money like every other station...

Commercials.
they do not make money off of commercials on The Disney Channel or Toon Disney since all commercials shown are for Disney content. Their money comes out of the price that cable and satellite companies pay to carry the channels as well as all of the ancillary merchandising.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 08 2006 - 04:48 AM

all commercials shown are for Disney content

I really appreciate that when my son watches their programming.

Now, about shows being cancelled after three years -- weren't the Doodlebops cancelled in 1973? Posted Image

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow