Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Announces, THE TARZAN COLLECTION - Volume #2 -- October 31st

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 06:54 AM

Just in from WB: ----------------- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Johnny Weissmuller as The King of the Jungle THE TARZAN COLLECTION VOLUME 2 Tarzan Triumphs ~ Tarzan's Desert Mystery Tarzan and the Amazons ~ Tarzan and the Leopard Woman Tarzan and the Huntress ~ Tarzan and the Mermaids All New to DVD and Available Exclusively as a Collection October 31 Burbank, Calif. July 31, 2006 - Johnny Weissmuller swings back into action with Warner Home Video's The Tarzan Collection Volume 2 debuting on October 31. Following the huge success of WHV's first Weissmuller Tarzan set in 2004, this new DVD collection includes the home video debut of Weissmuller's last six Tarzan films, presented on three double-feature discs. Originally made at RKO, these films feature actress Brenda Joyce, assuming the role of Tarzan's beloved Jane. Although other actors would later play the role, these films exemplify why Weissmuller, the five-time Olympic champion, was the definitive Tarzan, and the one to pave the way for future interpretations of Edgar Rice Burroughs' jungle hero. During his acting career, Weissmuller starred in 12 Tarzan features for both MGM and RKO. This collection features Tarzan Triumphs/Tarzan's Desert Mystery, Tarzan and the Amazons/Tarzan and the Leopard Woman and Tarzan and the Huntress/Tarzan and the Mermaids. These six films which were never available on videocassette, are all new to DVD, and will sell as a collection only, for $39.92 SRP. Tarzan Triumphs (1943)/Tarzan's Desert Mystery (1943) World War II? That's the way of civilized people, not Tarzan. He refuses to be involved until the Nazis make the mistake of striking at the Ape-Man's family. Johnny Weissmuller returns as the jungle hero and Johnny Sheffield again plays Boy in Tarzan Triumphs. Tarzan's help with the war effort continues in Tarzan's Desert Mystery, as Tarzan crosses the Sahara to find medicinal plants needed by the Allies. Tarzan and the Amazons (1945)/Tarzan and the Leopard Woman (1946) Jane, absent from the series' two prior films, returns in these adventures starring Johnny Weissmuller and Johnny Sheffield with Brenda Joyce as Jane. When the jungle lord refuses to lead anthropologists to a mysterious female tribe, Boy does, setting in motion the plot twists and turns of Tarzan and the Amazons. Are brutal maulings the results of leopard attacks? The Ape-Man doesn't think so, and his instincts prove right as he faces murderous leopard men and their exotic priestess in Tarzan and the Leopard Woman. But its Cheetah to the rescue after the sect captures Tarzan, Boy and Jane and readies them for sacrifice. Tarzan and the Huntress (1947)/Tarzan and the Mermaids (1948) Expeditioners aim to harvest animals for profit, capturing them for zoos without regard for the balance of jungle life. There's one person the hunters didn't count on: Tarzan. He'll protect the habitat - and call in an army of elephants to assist when the going gets tough in Tarzan and the Huntress. The film features the last of Johnny Sheffield's eight appearances as Boy. In Tarzan and the Mermaids, Weissmuller bids his twelfth and final farewell to the role of the Ape-Man, but not before rescuing a lovely maiden from a forced marriage, tangling with a giant octopus and restoring harmony to a community of pure-hearted pearl divers. The Tarzan Collection Volume 2 $39.92 SRP Street Date: October 31, 2006 All Films are B&W and Not Rated Tarzan Triumphs Run Time: 76 minutes Tarzan's Desert Mystery Run Time: 70 minutes Tarzan and the Amazons Run Time: 76 minutes Tarzan and the Leopard Woman Run Time: 72 minutes Tarzan and the Huntress Run Time: 72 minutes Tarzan and the Mermaids Run Time: 68 minutes With operations in 90 international territories Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   GlennWD

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 07:47 AM

I hope that Warner uses the same type packaging as Volume 1. Anyways, Great News!!!
Best of Film - Jaws, The Godfather Part I & II, Casablanca, M, Citzen Kane, Ben-Hur, The French Connection, Rear Window, King Kong.

Best of Television - The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, Night Gallery, I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Cheers, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

My DVD Collection

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 07:55 AM

I've been hoping these would get released. I'd actually prefer the slim line packaging though. I hate the fold out cardboard stuff. I'd also like to see the rest of the RKO Tarzans with Lex Barker, etc.

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   ChrisRose

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 08:08 AM

If they do release volume 2 in slimlines, I hope volume 1 gets re-released that way... (I hate fold-outs too).

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,889 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 31 2006 - 09:04 AM

I couldn't be happier with this announcement. I grew up seeing these on Saturday afternoons, and the RKO TARZANs, while inferior in quality to the MGMs, were always my favorites. I'm sure if this is a success, the Lex Barker and Gordon Scott ones will be served up next year.

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 09:06 AM

Warner just keeps knocking our wallets. October is full with Astaire & Rogers, Bogart, Horror Classics, the Masterpiece Collection and now Tarzan. I can't understand the Columbia/Paramount mindset that classics don't pay. Warner clean my bank account but keep the classics coming....Tracy,Newman,Esther Williams, Mickey and Judy, Brando, Taylor, more musicals, Controversial Classics more more more !!!!!

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   RoyM

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 09:16 AM

I totally agree. While I loved the original higher budget Tarzans, somehow the B-flick quality of the RKO's have always held more nostalgic charm for me. They do seem to have more of that Saturday matinee serial feel to them, what with the cheesier production and cornier stories (and I mean that in a good way). I'm very much looking forward to this second Tarzan set.

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,645 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 09:41 AM

I'm in the same category as you guys. I love all the Weissmuller "Tarzans", but for some reason these RKO's also produce a greater sense of nostalgia in me than the earlier films in the series. Gary "while I don't care for the fold-out format either, in this case I'd rather have it simply for conformity" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 09:46 AM

absolute awesome news
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 10:38 AM

DOES wb OWN THE GORDON SCOTT TARZANS?
Charles Hoyt

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,770 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for the great news Herb. B-movie fans rejoice! I too loved watching these back in the day. I may be mistaken but I believe Warners said at the last theatrical chat that this wouldn't come until 2007 so getting it early is a bonus. Perhaps a consolation prize for the delay in the Bowery Boys? They also said that the Lex Barker films would follow and so on down the line. One of the bonus features on Fox's Moto set talks about how B movies were not made with the same production values, etc. as a studio's "pretiege" product. However it is those B films that have retained their popularity over the years. Arguably more so than many of the "A" pictures which, while well made, don't have the personality that many of the Bs did. Obviously one's mileage may vary on this point, but I've known many who share that viewpoint. Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   James@R

James@R

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 02:57 PM

I've never seen any of these titles, but...Tarzan wrestling an octopus? They could charge me twice as much for this set.

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,283 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted July 31 2006 - 04:19 PM

Great news on this. As Steve said, I didn't think these were coming until 2007 or later.
So true. You can also find Oscar winners that are totally forgotten about yet these "B" or "C" movies live on with a fairly big cult following.

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   ChrisRose

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted July 31 2006 - 08:00 PM

It *is* nice to see Warner releasing some B movies. I detest the snobbery of only focusing on Oscar winners or whatever. So many great films didn't win awards. And even if it isn't a great film, it can still be great fun. Posted Image

I hope this means Warner intend to release less "prestigious" musicals, etc, as well.

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey Shore

Posted August 01 2006 - 02:13 AM

Would be great to see the Gordon Scott TARZAN movies on DVD, and especially the Mike Henry TARZAN movies. These are the movies I used to watch on Saturday morning growing up as a young buck in the 60's, a Tarzan with a James Bond kind of action. Joe Kelly

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,871 posts

Posted August 01 2006 - 04:40 AM

Great news indeed. After owning the 1st set on Laserdiscs years back I waited and waited for these to come out and they never did so after upgrading the 1st set to DVD I have been hoping that these may make it to DVD. They may not be as good of films as the 1st set but they are fun and short. Many I have not seen in a long time.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   GlennWD

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 01:50 AM

DVD Times Has The Artwork http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=62336
Glad to see that Warner seems to be keeping the packaging the same as Volume One. They will look great next to each other on the shelf. I Can't Wait!!!
Best of Film - Jaws, The Godfather Part I & II, Casablanca, M, Citzen Kane, Ben-Hur, The French Connection, Rear Window, King Kong.

Best of Television - The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, Night Gallery, I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Cheers, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

My DVD Collection

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 03:27 AM

Charles, Paramount released the last two Scott Tarzan's. "Tarzan's Greatest Adventure" (1959) and "Tarzan The Magnificent" (1960). The rest WB owns. "Tarzan And The Trappers", "Tarzan And The Lost Safari", "Tarzan's Hidden Jungle" and "Tarzan's Fight For Life".
Steve Pickard

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 04:43 AM

Paramount may have released TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE and TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT, but both of those are now owned by WB as well. They are no longer Paramount properties. Both titles show Warner Brothers as the copyright owner at the Library of Congress.

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 07:12 AM

Thanks, that is great news.
Steve Pickard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users