-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Official HTF HD Quick Look: Happy Gilmore

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 15,926 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 30 2006 - 06:04 AM

http://www.hometheat...ers/happyhd.jpg">

HD DVD Title: Happy Gilmore
Rated: PG-13
Screen format: 1080p/480i/480p 1.85:1
Studio: Universal Pictures
First theatrical release: February 1996
Previously released on DVD/BluRay: Full Screen Pan and Scan (Feb. 1998) and Special Edition Widescreen (August 2003) DVDs
Director: Dennis Dugan
Starring: Adam Sandler, Christopher McDonald, Julie Bowen and Carl Weathers
Sound Formats: English, Spanish, French Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, English/Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0
Length: 1 hour 32 minutes
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French

Adam Sandler stars as Happy Gilmore, a frustrated hockey player forced to try his hand at the game of golf to get the money to save Grandma Gilmore’s (Francis Bay) homestead from IRS auction (and her from sociopath nurse (an uncredited Ben Stiller)). To beat tour hotshot Shooter McGavin (Christopher McDonald) Happy will have to rely on inspiration from his one handed tutor Chubbs Peterson (Carl Weathers), club selection from homeless caddy Otto (Allan Covert) and anger management from sexy PR professional Virginia Venit (Julie Bowen). To win the Tour championship Happy will deal with a madcap group of fans and celebrities along the way, including Lee Trevino, Bob Barker and Jaws himself, Richard Kiel.

On the video side of things, this is a pretty slick looking video, nice colors and pretty decent detail. The cinematography of this movie doesn’t lead it down the road to be a reference quality film to start with, but this HD DVD captures all of the original detail quite nicely. I did note some intermittent use of edge enhancement, often around heads in darker scenes, but it wasn’t too worrisome.

The audio side is similar in quality. There are a few notable pans and deep bass effects (particularly in the mini golf scenes, where Happy encounters the Earthquake hole), but on the whole this could have been a 2.0 movie and not much would have been missed. Happy is also sappy for 70s and 80s light music / love songs, so those are featured on the soundtrack, which definitely gets it a knock in my book, but others may be more forgiving.

As for extras, perhaps the previous DVD releases could get away with slapping in a dozen deleted scenes and a 5 minute outtake roll (all in terribly grainy non-anamorphic 480i) and calling it a special edition, especially after the pan and scan original release, but that doesn’t cut it in 2006. At least Universal had the sense to not dub this a special edition release despite shoveling on the same material from that disk.

Happy is typical Sandler at work: hyper-aggressive potty mouth learns to play to his strengths and get the girl of his dreams. Whether you love or hate his brand of comedy will determine if this is your cup of tea, but don’t go in expecting highbrow humor or even something in the league of Caddyshack. Decent video quality and a few funny lines (The price is WRONG!) are not enough to save this disk from mediocrity; HD DVD will need more than the shovel on and ship treatment from prior DVDs to earn its way in the format war.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 4 Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 06:10 AM

Got this one on the way from amazon for 17.99 shipped Posted Image

Can't wait.
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#3 of 4 Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 02:47 PM

I got this title as an upgrade from my DVD version as it was Full frame long before they put out a widescreen version.

Now that it is in HD, AND widescreen, I consider the release, finally perfect.
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#4 of 4 RobBenton

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted August 11 2006 - 05:24 AM

This is a really funny movie.. his best by far!