What's new

"His and Her Room!" (1 Viewer)

joseph westcott

Second Unit
It is official. My home theater has been selected for the March Issue of Audio Video Interiors.

A big thanks goes to everyone on this forum that provided guidance and support!!!

joseph westcott

Second Unit

I was asked by the magazine to publish a number, although I am not too fond of talking about money.

1/4 went to light control.(Ouch!!!)
1/4 went to audiovideo equipment
1/4 went to furniture
1/4 went to acoustic treatmentflooringlightingelectricaletc.

Do you have a specific question on cost?

johnathan

Stunt Coordinator
Joe
What an achievement to be published like that . Your room is very elegant and deserves the attention that it has gotten ! Johnathan

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Hello Joseph,

Very nice and multi functional. My question is, how do you use the projector if it is in the cabinet?

Thank you,
Don

joseph westcott

Second Unit

Thanks for commenting Don. We have really enjoyed this room and our guests have all asked if they can come back again.

Right now, I have the projector sitting on a make shift platform about 8' off the ground to maximize light return to the viewer. It used to just sit on a box placed on the AV credenza that I would pull out when we wanted to watch a movie. The projector will not focus from the rear wall (too far) and with 18' ceilings, an HDMI cable run would have been very long and expensive with no guarantee that video quality would not have been compromised or even work. I hope to have a custom stand built as soon as I finish the folding painting project that will cover the projector screen when not in use. I am going to the art store today to buy the paint and media so I hope to have it completed soon. I will post new pictures when it is complete so check back.

Thanks again.

markotheatro

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Carvelo
That is awesome Jospeh! You should post it on thumbsupshowcase.com SHow the world what you got! One day i hope to move up to something like that.

joseph westcott

Second Unit

Thanks markotheatro!!!

We really enjoy the system and we are glad that we decided to share the space. We entertain a lot and the large space connected to the kitchen is just a natural place for guests to congregate.

Good luck with your future home theater and if I can provide any guidance, just drop me a note.

westcott75

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Westcott
Very nice setup!

I love the volume in that room with the high ceilings. Adding that to my list of preferences while I am house shopping!

Oh yeah.....nice name too!:emoji_thumbsup:

joseph westcott

Second Unit

Thanks Greg. Welcome to the forum!!!!

Room acoustics are very important and not to be underestimated when searching for a room to make your home theater. The sound will only be as good as the room acoustics so making this a priority when searching for a home can get you off to a great start. The room dimensions were exactly what my wife and I were looking for in a home. The only draw back was the extreme cost of light control. The 18' ceilings really ate into my equipment budget but I can always add components later but you are stuck with the room you have.

Good luck with your home search and if I can be of any assistance, I would be happy to help. Us westcotts have to stick together.

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

Funny, projects like this always seem to never be done. (i.e. upgrades or new ideas) ;)

Again, CONGRATS on you HT room! It is definitely an inspiration to the "Do it yourselfers" out there. :emoji_thumbsup:

joseph westcott

Second Unit
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/3/33/htf_imgcache_9561.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/9/95/htf_imgcache_9562.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/e/ea/htf_imgcache_9563.jpeg] [/url]

This is the latest project to make the projector screen less conspicuous. I made the frames, stretched the canvas, primed and painted the canvas, and assembled the painting with piano hinges and some other hardware to keep it closed and open. I used a magnet to hold them closed when folded open and a hook and pin to hold it closed against the projector screen.

I am no artist and was really blown away by the quotes I got for the work but after doing it myself, I have a greater appreciation for the cost and time involved in a project like this.

I still need to make a few adjustments to the right side but I will need some help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.