What's new

HDMI switcher or new receiver? (1 Viewer)

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
My TV has only one HDMI input which is fine for now since the only thing I have which can connect via HDMI is my digital cable. However, once the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray thing plays itself out, I'll be buying a new player and will want to hook it up via HDMI as well.

I see two options - first, I can get an HDMI switcher (such as the ones made by Gefen) and hook them up through that... this will work as long as it can be operated by remote control so I can program a macro to do the switching automatically. Second, I could buy a new receiver which has two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output on it and run the audio and video through the receiver.

My gut says to go with the switcher since I'm happy with the receiver I have and it would be less expensive to go that way. The only real advantages I see to running through the receiver is having fewer cables (2 HDMI cables to the receiver and one to the TV instead of 2 HDMI cables to the switcher, one to the TV and two optical audio cables to the receiver) and having one less component to worry about.

I'm just looking for tips on what would be the better way to go. Would either method have an advantage in terms of maintaining the quality of the signal? Thanks!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The signal is digital so it will tend to be perfect - or not arrive at all.

Many people go with an out-board switcher for the video. It's a lot cheeper than a new receiver. That would be my choice.

Plus - you can get a 4:1 switcher to have capacity for more things later.

Hope this helps.

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
You're right - I hadn't thought of that... I might in the future have another HDMI video source which would require a switcher even if I bought a new receiver now. I think that's the way to go - thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks