What's new

The Illusionist (1 Viewer)

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
why do studios develop similar themed movies at the same time? it is so idiotic.

it was the same way when alexander was in production and they were getting ready to make another one with dicraprio

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it's rare to see a film for ed norton to star in. all of his films have been entertaining so far, even the one he directed.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

This is the main draw for me, Norton is always reliable. The trailer for this followed The Prestige, and I'm sad to say that the Prestige blew it out of the water, and is one of the films I'm most looking forward to after The fountain.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Gaimatti's becoming one of my faves of late. It's been a few years (2002?) but his role in Big Fat Liar was freakin' hilarious. He made that film. Can't remember if he got any props for that and I know comedies often get overlooked. If you haven't seen it in awhile-give it another shot. :)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
okay guys, here's the first 6 minutes + a scene w/jessica biel+ed legally:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/theillusionist.html

norton is back in his "soft-voice" acting =). i liked him screaming and stuff in american history x. norton's one smart cookie. have you guys ever seen him on leno? just... wow. easily dwarves any of the other celebrities, the way he eloquently speaks, you know he's an intellect through and through. i bet he's got a hard time finding material to satisfy his acting urges. i've also read he's got other things to attend to from his father's end.

meanwhile, anyone familiar with the director?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
According to Yahoo he has only directed Interview With The Assassin in 2002. Also credited for the screenplay of that one and the Illusionist.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
isn't that the one where it's a fake documentary about a guy who comes forward about killing JFK?

sounds like this guy should meet chris guy =).

meanwhile, he likes to discuss reality issues.

fionalin7

Auditioning
Real Name
fiona lin
i cant wait to watch more of the magic trick Eisenheim can do... i saw some of the movie clips at this website, www.theillusionist.com and im so excited to watch the full movie scene. the beautifull Princess Sophie (jessica beil) pulls of her most impressive trick yet: transforming herself into a turn-of-the-century Austrian duchess- and a serious art house actress.

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
Eisenheim the illusionist (Edward Norton) comes to town and wows nearly everyone in Vienna except Crown Prince Leopold (Rufus Sewell) who becomes quickly annoyed with him. His magic starts as entertainment then borders on the supernatural as Eisenheim brings those recently departed back to say a few last words. The prince’s fiancée (Jessica Biel) is a childhood friend of Eisenheim and soon after they reunite, the real magic begins.

This movie was adapted from a short story and it shows. It isn’t filled with any excess fat and while the dialog is hard to understand at times, there is enough for you to get to the next magic performance.

Good acting and a good story made seeing this on the big screen very worthwhile. In the theater where I watched this, the audience applauded at the end.

I will be adding this to my movie collection.

A

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
An enjoyable film, but the story wasn't anything new. The people and places have changed, but you've seen the story before. However, everything about the movie was great, it was just a good enjoyable film to watch.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Saw this yesterday, and really enjoyed it. The cinematography & score worked perfectly together to create the perfect atmosphere for the story. The performances worked all around. You expect greatness from Norton & Giamatti, but the surprise here is Biel, who holds her own with those heavyweights. Her stock should soar after her work here.

This one may be a sleeper hit - my screening was almost full, and the audience was with the film the whole way.

For those who have seen it (and if you haven't DON'T click on the spoiler), didn't the ending remind you of
The Usual Suspects??

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
this finally arrived at a cinema i have gift certs to =). i hope to see it before sept, when my fall semester begins =).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Huh; I saw this a week or two ago and thought it was pretty awful, one of the worst I've seen this summer. A big part of my problem is that the "illusions" Norton's character performs just weren't possible with the technology of the time. Use of CGI during a movie about stage magic always gets my goat, and this was some bad, egregious use of it. Heck, I'm almost positive that they had two seperate lockets - I couldn't help but notice that we never saw it twist and open in the same shot, and that there is no interior seam on the inside.

Okay, that's perhaps nitpicking, but the second half was dreadfully predictable, and watching Norton and Giamatti go through the motions was tedious. Also, Norton seemed to be putting so much effort into his accent, that it was tough to see the acting behind it (I think the makers of The Grey Zone had the right idea of just having people use their native accents in a situation like this).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks