What's new

All Time - Greatest Movie Quotes (1 Viewer)

Josh.C

Second Unit
(Forgive me if this has been done recently, but to my best recollection, I have not seen this thread topic since joining the forum)

One of greatest joys of being a movie lover for me has always been quoting my favorite parts of the movies I've watched over the years. There is nothing better than having a friend or acquaintance finish a movie quote you start, letting you know that they are just as much of a movie nerd as you are. It's almost like being part of a secret society. Maybe it's funny, maybe its serious and thought provoking, but mainly it is something that sticks out in our minds, and sometime's can even be used in our daily banter between one another. Example: I get a cool gift from someone and say "Tommy Likey" or someone challenges me on something and I reply "I'm your Huckleberry".

I'll list some more of my favorites later, but I'd really like to hear what some of yours are, because I know you all have them.

Fire Away....

JC

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Josh, you know me...movie quotes are my life. :) I'll try not to take over the thread. :D

The ones that come to mind first are the great comedies from the '80s during the latter high school days and college decade ;)

Quotes from Chevy Chase in college was part of our daily if not hourly ritual. We worshipped Three Amigos & Fletch. One of the major food groups.

Fletch: "Why would a man ask me to kill him & lie about dying-he asked me to kill him?" :D

To Fletch, "Could you love a girl that looks like this?"
Fletch answers, "5-10 minutes tops" ;)

3 Amigos:

"El Guappo is not only famous....he's INFAMOUS!

More to come later...

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I think this has been done before but here are some of my favourites. Looking at some of them in isolation some sound pretty awful but youve got to remember its in the delivery and context as well as the writing :) I may have got some words wrong, but this is how they sounded at the time :)

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - The Usual Suspects

"And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance, to tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!" - Braveheart

"Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them Frodo ? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise can not see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many."

"I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, in which case you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought." Fellowship Of The Ring

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? And well you should not. For my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. It's energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you...me...the tree...the rock...everywhere! Yes, even between this land and the ship!" - The Empire Strikes Back

"1.21 Gigowatts!!!!!!!" - Back To The Future

"Look at what they've done to you. I'm so sorry. You must be dead... because... I don't know how to feel. I can't feel anything anymore. You've gone someplace else now I'll believe in you all my life. Every day." - E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

"Going back to when we were children, I think most of us in this courtroom thought justice came automatically. That virtue was its own reward. That good triumphs over evil. But as we get older we know this isn't true. Individual human beings have to create justice, and this is not easy because the truth often poses a threat to power and one often has to fight power at great risk to themselves" - JFK

"They don't have meetings about rainbows" - The Sixth Sense

"Whats really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn't said anything" - The Matrix

"Luckily, right at that moment an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof. He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun." - Moulin Rouge

"Get busy living or get busy dying." - The Shawshank Redemption

"I amar prestar aen... (The world is changed) han mathon ne nen...(I feel it in the water) han mathon ne chae...(I feel it in the Earth)
a han noston ned 'wilith. (I smell it in the air) Much that once was is lost. For none now live who remember it." - The Fellowship Of The Ring

"Just because the bastard has a library card, it doesn't make him Yoda" Se7en

James@R

Second Unit

Christ, Fletch is filled with useful quotes!

"Keep ten for yourself. Go and get yourself a nice piece of ass."

"I'm not even sure that's a crime anymore. There have been a lot of changes in the law."

"Why don't we go lay on the bed and I'll fill you in?"

Secretary: "Sugar, Mr. Poon?"
Fletch: "No, never, never."

(And while I'm at it, my favorites from Caddyshack and Amigos.)

"How'd you like to make 14 bucks, the HARD way?"

"We're not Mexicans- we're from out of town."

BILL MURRAY

"You can't go! All the plants are gonna die!"

"Hey, Tito Puente's gonna be dead, and you're gonna say, "Oh, I've been listening to him for years, and I think he's fabulous."

"I know that I'm speaking for the entire platoon when I say this run should be postponed until this platoon is better rested."

"Am I drinking? As soon as I'm done here."

Recruiter: Have either of you ever been convicted of a felony?"
John: "Convicted? No."

Recruiter: "Are either of you homosexual"?
Russell: No, we're not homosexual but we are WILLING to learn."

Roy: "Are you sure this is legal?"
Ernie: "I don't know. It's fun though, isn't it?"

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
The Frighteners:

"When a man's jawbone drops off, it's time to reassess the situation."

Josh.C

Second Unit
Great stuff guys, keep it coming :)

Simon,

I appreciate you doing a Braveheart quote, that makes one less I have to post later. It is my favorite movie of all time, and I can quote it word for word. Here's a few more great Braveheart quotes:

WW: I am William Wallace.
Man: William Wallace is seven feet tall.
WW: Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And, if he was here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.

WW: Here are Scotland's terms: Lower your flags and march straight back to England. Stopping at every home you pass by to beg forgiveness for 100 years of theft, rape, and murder. Do that, and your men shall live. Do it not, and everyone of you will die today.

Awesome Movie!

JC

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
You cannot have a list of great film quotes without "Casablanca", the motherlode of classic quotes.

We'll always have Paris
Here's looking at you kid.
Louis, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship
I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find gambling going on here.
I stick my neck out for no one
Round up the usual suspects
You played it for her, you can play it for me. Play it! (Not "Play it again, Sam")
And dozens more

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
"You're gonna need a bigger boat"--Jaws
"Call me Plissken"--Escape from New York
"Aw man, I shot Marvin in the face"--Pulp Fiction

and I have another memorable scene from Ghostbusters:
Man on elevator: "That's some cockroach."
Pete: "Bite your head off, man."

Also, for any Jim Rome fans, who can forget:

"GIVE ME BACK MY SON"--Ransom

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
SCARFACE:

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Why don't you try sticking your head up your ass? See if it fits.

All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one.

Can't you stop saying f*** all the time?

Josh.C

Second Unit

Awesome Brett, a felow "Clone". I thought you might be from a comment you made in another post I read. I don't get to listen as much as I used to when I had a sales job in Cincinnati, and missed the smackoff this year.

Great call on that quote, brings back memmories.

JC (not J Stew :))

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
"Got enough dynamite there Butch"?

"I can't swim".
"Are you kidd'n? The fall'l probably kill ya!"
"Whoooaaaaahhhhh Shiiiiiiiiittttttttt!"

"Who are those guys?"

From The Graduate:

"I'm going to marry Elane Robinson. She doesn't know it yet"
"That sounds a little half-baked Ben"
"No, it's completely baked".

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I know this one's kind of obvious but it's one of my favorite of all time. A junior high history teacher made us watch this movie in class, and to this day it's one of the funniest movies ever.
Dr. Strangelove:
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."

How about the Joker from Batman:
You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Great line from A Christmas Story (which is filled with great writing by Jean Shepherd).
In the heat of battle, my father wove a tapestry of obscenity, that as far as we know, is still hanging in space over lake Michigan.

Josh.C

Second Unit
Lynda inspired me to post some of my favorite Tombstone quotes from comments on Tim's Action Sequences thread. This movie is a literal feast of great quotes:
-
Morgan: I read this book on spiritualism
Virgil: Oh God, here he goes.
Morgan: said a lot of people, when they're dyin', they see this light, like in a tunnel. They say it's the light leading you to heaven.
Wyatt: Really? What about hell? They got a sign or what?
-
Doc: And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?
Kate: You don't even know him.
Doc: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-
Doc: It seems poker's just not your game, Ike. I know: let's have a spelling contest.
-
McMasters: Where's Wyatt?
Doc: Down at the creek. Walking on water.
-
Kate: I'm a good woman to you, Doc. Don't I always take care of you? Nobody cares for you like me. I'm a good woman.
Doc: Yes, I know. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist.

:):):)

JC

SteveJKo

Second Unit

Stephen, I think you did indeed hit the motherlode with that one. From the Bette Davis film "Now Voyager" (same year as "Casablanca") I would include:

- Jerry let's not ask for the moon, we have the stars.

And from the original Star Wars, a week doesn't go buy without my friend Glenn saying:

- I've never seen such devotion in a droid before.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I cannot believe that the following has not yet been mentioned......

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Car Rental Agent: "I really don't care for the way you're speaking to me."
Neal Page: "And I really don't care for the way your company left me in the middle of fucking nowhere with fucking keys to a fucking car that isn't fucking there. And I really didn't care to fucking walk down a fucking highway and across a fucking runway to get back here to have you smile at my fucking face. I want a fucking car RIGHT FUCKING NOW!"
Car Rental Agent: "May I see your rental agreement."
Neal Page: "I threw it away."
Car Rental Agent: "Oh boy."
Neal Page: "Oh boy what?"
Car Rental Agent: "You're fucked!"

also....

[Waking up after sharing the same bed in the motel]
Neal Page: "Del... Why did you kiss my ear?"
Del Griffith: "Why are you holding my hand?"
(pause)
Neal Page: "Where's your other hand?"
Del Griffith: "Between two pillows..."
Neal Page: "Those AREN'T PILLOWS!!!"

and....

Police Officer: "What the hell are you driving here?"
Del Griffith: "We had a small fire last night, but we caught it in a nick of time."
Police Officer: "Do you have any idea how fast you were going?"
Del Griffith: "Funny enough, I was just talking to my friend about that. Our speedometer has melted and as a result it's very hard to see with any degree of accuracy exactly how fast we were going."

Judge dredd

Judge Dredd: "Hershey, what are you doing here?"
Judge Hershey: "Waiting for backup."
Judge Dredd: "It's here."

and....

Judge Dredd: "Disturbing the peace, that's 5 years. Reckless endangerment of innocent bystanders, that's 10 years. Possession and use of illegal firearms, that's 20 years. And... the first degree murder of a street Judge...."
Block Warlord: "Let me guess, life."
[gun goes off]
Judge Dredd: "...Death. Court's adjourned."

Undercover Brother

Conspiracy Brother: "They never give any credit to the black man! Jesus Christ, black man. Babe Ruth, black man. Madonna.................sleeps with black men. Think about it!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks