What's new

Bing Crosby, Cary Grant & Rock Hudson 'Screen Legend Collections' from Universal (1 Viewer)

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
From DVD Times:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Screen Legend Collections for Bing Crosby, Cary Grant and Rock Hudson. Arriving on 14th November 2006 priced at $29.98 SRP each these sets bring together five films from the careers of their respective actors spread across three discs (2xDVD9, 1xDVD5).

Bing Crosby: Screen Legend Collection includes Waikiki Wedding, Double or Nothing, East Side of Heaven, If I Had My Way and Here Come the Waves.

Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection includes Thirty Day Princess, Kiss and Make Up, Wings in the Dark, Big Brown Eyes and Wedding Present.

Rock Hudson: Screen Legend Collection includes Has Anybody Seen My Gal?, A Very Special Favor, The Golden Blade, The Last Sunset and The Spiral Road.

All are presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono and English SDH and French subtitles. Extras are TBC but unlikely to stretch beyond trailers.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
That Cary Grant set will sure look nice next to my other Cary Grant sets! I hope they do it up properly.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Definitely the Bing Crosby set! The Cary Grant set is also a nice addition but I wish Last Outpost had been included.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I was never more surprised. I was just bemoaning to a friend the other day, that I have recordings from all of Bing Crosbys films, but at least half of them I have never seen.
Most fo the oldest titles are owned by universal and this new collection is a good start. i have never seen any of these films.
ONe of the titles in the Rock Huydson film is also a musical - Has Anyone Seen My Gal. In it, an undicovered James Dean is an extra, asking if anyone wants to play tennis !!
Between that musical, the Crosby set, and the recently announced Flower Drum Song - Universal seems to be on a musical kick. Keep them coming !!

Mark VH

Second Unit
I'm totally conflicted about these releases, I have to say. On one hand, I'm thrilled that Universal continues to pour out these classic film collections, and hope that this bodes well for them to do so in the future. On the other hand, I wish the stars were a bit more interesting. Grant's aces, of course, but I've never been a huge Hudson or Crosby fan. And I was SO hoping that one day they'd get around to releasing one of these sets that featured The Major and the Minor, The Heiress or A Foreign Affair. Guess I'll have to keep waiting.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
More 1930's Paramount films are always welcome. I think it is great that Universal is releasing lesser known films. Much as i would like the Major and the Minor, The Heiress, A Foreign Affair, Midnight, Christmas In July. Hail The Conquering Hero etc. released, I have seen all these films mostly in theaters or on TCM . The chance to see older films that I have not seen is a treat.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I hope the Hudson films...Very Special Favor, Spiral Road and Last Sunset are PROPERLY letterboxed.

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
Wow - and I call myself a classic film buff. I haven't heard of any one of these films. Still, a check with IMDB reveals that these are early Crosby films, and I do love me some early Bing. I'll be getting his set. If I have some extra cash floating around I might toss a coin and get one of the other two.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Crosby's film debut in Universal's KING OF JAZZ (1930) would have been a wild card to include. He's only in two numbers ("Missisippi Mud," "Happy Feet," and a voiceover), but the rest of this unique film is a bizarre $2 million (!) early Technicolor whopperooza musical--with probably limited appeal, admittedly.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

I believe these are all or most all early films of the stars involved which I guess is the theme of these releases.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Bing!Bing!Bing!Bing! I've been hoping for more of his early films!

I'll get the Cary Grant box too. But... Bing is king!

Thanks Universal for opening the vaults and allowing us the chance to see obscure movies!

Now, where's Deanna Durbin vol. 2? :)

Guess that means you've seen 'em all? You're very lucky! I'm thrilled at the chance to see these movies. I'm in no position to judge/compare and be picky about what Universal's releasing - besides, I'm sure big fans of these stars would want to collect *everything* they've done.

P.S. I just had a thought - maybe Universal's deliberately saving the more well-known films to release as individual special editions? Titles mentioned in this thread like The Heiress, Magnificent Obsession, The Major And The Minor, etc... I can see them as special editions. I'd *like* to see them as special editions, anyway. :) Then they'd be better quality than crammed in one of Universal's as-many-films-as-we-can-fit-per-disc box sets. It kinda makes sense to release the obscure films this way though, relying on the star's name to sell the box. Whereas the other movies are strong/famous enough to sell based on their *titles*...knowwhatImean? Don't mean to sound like a snob, but classics like The Heiress can stand on their own.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

Now, why would Universal release KING OF JAZZ? Do you think anyone there actually knows about it? It would require real knowledge of their library, which clearly they don't have a clue about. The appeal of KING OF JAZZ is actually less limited than most of the other titles in these collections....

Truly baffling!

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I agree. If they are not I will not even consider buying it. Universal has been better lately with OAR but they have a spotty past.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
I say fantastic. I'll buy all of these to show my support for Universal's commitment to release these lesser known classic titles. Thanks Universal. The other higher profiled titles, they'll show up eventually.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Looks like I'll have to buy the Hudson set just to get THE LAST SUNSET. It's a really odd choice for inclusion in a Rock Hudson set because Kirk Douglas dominates the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks