Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hooking up a Mac Monitor to a PC (VGA only)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted July 25 2006 - 03:09 AM

We have a nice ~21" widescreen Mac LCD just sitting at a desk that no one's using. My Dell only has a VGA port (unfortunately) while the LCD only seems to have a DVI connection.

Is there a way I can use the monitor on my PC?

#2 of 8 Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted July 25 2006 - 03:33 AM

Do you just need an adapter cable, then? If I'm reading you right, you can get a DVI>VGA (or visa versa) adapter plug. My video card came with two. They should be pretty cheap.

You could try this or something similar. I'm not sure if the male/female ends will match up correctly.
Mr. JBL has made my first home theater possible.

#3 of 8 Dennis*G

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted July 25 2006 - 04:45 AM

I don't think it will work, even with an adapter. Only two options are digital out to either analog in or digital in, you can not do analog out to digital in. So you really need a graphics card with DVI for it to work.

#4 of 8 RichP

RichP

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted July 25 2006 - 05:01 AM

No can do. The DVI Apple Cinema Displays are DVI-D only, and cannot be fed an analog signal. You'll need to either get a converter box that can switch between VGA and DVI-D (not cheap), or as stated above, get a graphics card with a DVI-D out.

#5 of 8 Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted July 25 2006 - 06:20 AM

Oops. Thanks for correcting me, guys. I don't mean to give mis-information.
Mr. JBL has made my first home theater possible.

#6 of 8 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted July 26 2006 - 03:40 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll just keep pestering my boss for a VGA LCD Posted Image

#7 of 8 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 09:32 AM

I have a G4 iMac (lamp) with dead or dark screen. I read a while back on some forums on troubleshooting - either reset PRAM and check something else - anyone know how to do both?

Otherwise, is it possible to use the VGA out to use with an ADC display?

Thanks!

#8 of 8 Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L
Thanks for the info guys. I'll just keep pestering my boss for a VGA LCD Posted Image
Would be cheaper to get a gfx card with DVI out... unless you get an el-cheapo 14" VGA monitor Posted Image

-Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)