What's new

Hooking up a Mac Monitor to a PC (VGA only) (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
We have a nice ~21" widescreen Mac LCD just sitting at a desk that no one's using. My Dell only has a VGA port (unfortunately) while the LCD only seems to have a DVI connection.

Is there a way I can use the monitor on my PC?

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Do you just need an adapter cable, then? If I'm reading you right, you can get a DVI>VGA (or visa versa) adapter plug. My video card came with two. They should be pretty cheap.

You could try this or something similar. I'm not sure if the male/female ends will match up correctly.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I don't think it will work, even with an adapter. Only two options are digital out to either analog in or digital in, you can not do analog out to digital in. So you really need a graphics card with DVI for it to work.

RichP

Second Unit
No can do. The DVI Apple Cinema Displays are DVI-D only, and cannot be fed an analog signal. You'll need to either get a converter box that can switch between VGA and DVI-D (not cheap), or as stated above, get a graphics card with a DVI-D out.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I have a G4 iMac (lamp) with dead or dark screen. I read a while back on some forums on troubleshooting - either reset PRAM and check something else - anyone know how to do both?

Otherwise, is it possible to use the VGA out to use with an ADC display?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks