What's new

Life On Mars (UK) (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yes, I enjoyed it. I'll definitely give it a few weeks.

For those who haven't heard of it, it is a new series on BBC America. It came on last night (monday). It looks like it will be shown again on July 30.

The Premise is about a British Detective that has a bad accident and finds himself 33 years in the past (1973).

BBC America's Show Weibsite
BBC's Show Website

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It's one of those shows that is a lot better than it sounds. Plus you can't help but love a show that has Bowie (Lif On Mars), The Move (Feels To Good), and Blue Oyster Cult (Stairway To The Stars) as part of it's soundtrack.

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator

And McCartney (Live and Let Die), Cream (White Room), The Stones (Wild Horses), and Bowie again (Jean Genie) and I'm not sure what all else I've heard so far (I've seen the first 4 episodes thus far).

I'm really enjoying this, highly recommended. Marries a Groundhog Day/Quantum Leap vibe (but darker) with fun fun fun memories of 70s cop shows like Starsky and Hutch, Beretta, or Streets of San Francisco. Gene Hunt is my new hero! What a great alter ego Sam has dreamed up for himself (if that's how you care to interpret it).

DCI Gene Hunt: "You are surrounded by armed b****rds!"

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Darrell, you must be in the UK. We have only had 1 episode (pilot) shown so far. It is on BBC America.

Or is there someplace else it is on?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I wish we got BBC stuff sooner in the States. Life On Mars s1 is already on DVD in the UK and they have already run s2 Dr. Who (and because I went to the webpage I already know how it ends (fortunately for me, spoilers don't bother me as much anymore).

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
The R2 dvd is out, and I'm multi-region/standard.

Also, fyi an American remake is already in the works, for better or for worse. David E. Kelley is producing/writing, trying to get it onto an American network fall 2007 schedule.

And series 2 is filming in Britain right now.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Boston Legal for the interplay between Shatner and Spader but I can't see his version of Life on Mars to be anything other than his usual boobies-centered soapbox. Ugh (and I am a guy who likes boobies and occasional soapbox action). That said, when I saw a couple of stills from the show they lead guy looked like Spader to me and I thought it was another show or movie that he was in. Hmm...

I DVR'd the show last night so I hope to have time to watch it soon. It sounds wonderful. Bless BBCA for making summer viewing enjoyable.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Another happy camper here. BBC America has helped rescue the usual dismal Summer reruns. I'm also hooked on the Saturday broadcast of the Sharpe series. So far BBCA has run far more two hour episodes than than I recall seeing on PBS 10 years ago.

Hex finishes this Thursday and will be replaced by Love Soup. It stars Tamsin Greig who I bacame hooked on after watching last years Green Wing.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I know this is stating the obvious, but trust me, the series is even more enjoyable if you lived in the Manchester area in the 1970s. The series is astonishingly accurate in a great many respects.

BTW, the writers have promised that they are going to flesh out a lot of the background story in the next series.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Wow! What a well done show. I finally watched it and was really impressed by all aspects of it. The use of Bowie was fantastic. Takes an already haunting song and gave some new context that really worked from it. I loved the contrast between police procedures between the decades. They did a good job setting up "the norm" for modern police shows and contrasted the hell out of it with the previous generation's stuff.

The relationship between Sam and his boss in the past is excellent. Their grudgingly growing respect for one another (though who knows how that will turn out based on next week's episode) will be a highlight of the show.

This is a good antidote to the more hollow and technical police procedulals in this country. While US police shows have their strengths, nothing, to me, beats a good Brit version. They tend to focus a bit more on the grit than the glitz and the personal vs. the procedural. I can't think of a better string of shows than Morse, Holmes, or Cracker. Add this one if they remain true to the premise.

I wonder how they will maintain the mystery of his situation throughout the season. It is clearly all in his head (isn't it?) so how will they maintain our interested in "the present" (2006) while they continue to delve into the past. Hmmm..

Anyway, a good find and highly recommended if folks haven't caught it. The pilot replays Sunday night if y'all missed it.

Phil

PS Growing in Manchest surely would have been a cool way to see the show but honestly, I live in a rust-belt Mid-western US city and they honestly have the same look and feel. The show captured that era very nicely.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I wish the Brits could see the BBCA version because I have to think a bit was cut out. There were several songs listed on the BBC's site that were not in the BBCA pilot.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering this myself. I am guessing the US version of the show has been cut to fit in an hour time-slot with commercials. How long does each episode air in England?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It definitely looked like a few scenes were cut. Or the editing is really strange. Even the opening scene started in a really strange place.

I think it is cut to allow all the extra (and I mean a lot) of commercials.

Anyone else think there were more commercial breaks than normal?

If I can find out for sure that it is cut down, I am going to abandon the show. I'll wait for it to show up on DVD. I hate watching a show that some network flunky edited down.

EDIT: I just watched a clip of last nights episode on the BBC website and can confirm that the show is cutdown for BBC America. The 3 minute clip was much longer (and more violent) than what was aired last night. This means I am out. I'll wait for the DVD.

Clip of Full Scene on BBC Website

Notice how many times the chief hits the suspect. The episode last night showed him hitting him 1 time. This clip shows him wailing on the guy.

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not watching on BBCA but it's definitely cut from what I've read other places. Original run time is about an hour (I'd say 58-59 minutes), so cuts on BBCA must be about equal to commercial length.

Sounds horrible.

And in answer to earlier query, I believe the DVDs have all the original broadcast music, but can't be certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks