What's new

Alias Season Five/Complete Series Sets (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Since TVShows did a feature on the upcoming Alias releases, I figured we could use a thread about them. I searched and didn't see a S5 thread, so I hope this isn't a duplicate. Anyway, I started watching Alias with the knowledge that the series box was coming, so I didn't buy the individual sets. I hope the full set comes in at a nice price. The way I figure it, paying Best Buy prices, the entire series would come to around $280. That's not terrible for every episode--and is nothing compared to what I paid for Star Trek: TNG and DS9--but a reduction would be nice. It does seem that this will not be a simple case of shrinkwrapping the available seasons together. I would not be surprised if the set ends up looking similar to the teaser image up at the Rambaldi site.

So, who's going for the whole series, and who's just in for season five?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Greg,
I still haven't opened up the Season 4 dvds! I'm waaaaay behind. I loved loved loved Season 1 & 2 and really liked season 3. Looking forward to going thru 4 here soon in time for the October release. I've kept spoiler free for season 4 & 5 too. :emoji_thumbsup:

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I sold my 4 alias sets earlier in the year when i heard from the alias fansite about the special complete set. Most likely the retail price of the complete set is probably going to be $199.99 so thats a significant savings. Don't hold me to that price though as it just comes as a rumor from an alias site.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That sounds like a believable price point. I better start saving my shekels! Better yet, that's right around Christmas. Gift card, here I come! Or, I might just ask for it. The family seems to like that better, as it seems more personal than a gift card. Either way. . . .

And, of course, it'll probably be on HD-DVD soon thereafter. :crazy:

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I still own the first four seasons, but the first three were gifts (purchased on the day of release, but still...), so the fourth is the only one I purchased. Depending on what comes with the Rambaldi collection, I might replace my set.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
TVShows just did a major update on both the Season Five set and the Complete set, including art for the complete series.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6149

The box looks pretty classy and opens in an interesting way. Aryn's news was confirmed: $199 US. It's a limited edition, and I will definitely be buying it. More likely, I will definitely be bugging somebody for this for Christmas.

Edit: Hehe. What he said. ^^^ Thanks, Gord. Great stuff.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
And of course there will be an exclusive bonus disc in the big box, which will make all those happy who already bought the separate releases. :rolleyes:
Also, the season 5 release seems to be cramming 17 episodes on 4 discs, which means that at least one disc will contain 5 episodes (while I assume another will hold 4 episodes and all the video based extras). Why didn't they make this a 5 disc set?? This would have given the episodes the same space as on the previous sets and it would have allowed them to put that "exclusive" content on there as well. God, I hate those full series double-dip tactics.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I already have Seasons 1-4 so I will just be buying the season 5 set. Looking forward to it... especially since I been watching this series on DVD only. I didn't see it at all as it aired. So I can't wiat to see how they resolve the Season 4 cliffhanger.

The limited Edition Series set does look awesome... but I can't see re-buying the first 4 seasons to get it.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I love when people complain about these "Complete Series" sets.

When I heard Buffy was coming out... I sold my previous sets on Ebay, when I heard rumors of ALIAS I did the same. Total I probably made about 200 bucks, which will cover the new set.

I made about $115 with all of my sets if you factor in what I paid to ship them and list them on ebay. Factor in what I would have paid for season five, and I'm actually SAVING some money...

When the BUFFY collection came out I got it for $112 during the deepdiscountdvd.com sale. The price I got for selling all seven seasons was 170. I essentially made a fifty dollar profit to get a neat box and bonus disc. In the case of ALIAS I'll likely break even (had I bought all 5 sets instead of just 1-4), which is good enough for me.

I understand complaints to the studio about this kind of practice, but honestly, we all had/ and still have time to sell our previous sets in order to get this massive box... so it depends how much you're willing to do to get the bonus disc. Me... I'm doing it more to have a complete box, because I have such OCD... ;)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Very nice looking set.. I definately will be picking it up aswell. My only problem has to do with the street date. The Twin Peaks Complete Set from Paramount is due the same date most likely. So very expensive week to say the least.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't count on that.

We can all blame Sex & The City for the continued release of complete sets; it sold very, very well, and made HBO a ton of money. The studio is able to sell material that has already paid for itself, and they just have to produce some new bonus material and some fancy packaging. That Alias set will be gone very quickly.

Gord

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The boxset looks awesome but I don't need the bonus disc that bad so I'll be sticking with just S5. I am kinda bummed that they're jamming five episodes on one disc though.

Off topic: Hey, Gord what the heck is the deal with Twin Peaks: S2? I figured Comic Con would shed some light on what was happening (especially since they listed Twin Peaks as one of Charles DeLaurizka's credits). Give us the lowdown... which will probably break my heart. :)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Gord: I guess there is some sorta delay on Twin Peaks ? Not happening in November now ? That would be fine with me as it make it easier for me to purchase these things :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I guess it doesn't really change the argument for five instead of four discs, but remember that there are essentially only 15 episodes in Season Five. Two sets of episodes aired back to back on their respective nights, and are intended to be watched as one two-hour-minus-commercial-time block. I know that doesn't change a thing in terms of overcompressing one of the discs. Hopefully, things will still look fine all the way around. Gord's comment about the set going fast has me a little concerned, though. I planned to wait for Christmas, but I guess I'll pick it up immediately instead. I like the idea of saving money by ordering it online, but I don't know that I want to risk getting a banged up set (Robert mentioned OCD, and I am definitely that way when it comes to having the closest to mint sets I can find) or a set I might have to send off to return, so I'll probably look for the best deal with a local B&M.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Just s5 for me since I have the others. Season 5 wasn't all that great, but the completist in me will probably end up finishing out the set and picking up s5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks