Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

If a natural disaster occured would you save your DVDs?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted September 07 2001 - 02:32 PM

I'm just interested in how obsessed we all are with our DVD collection. If a major disaster occured (ie. Hurricane) and you had to evacuate, would you bring your DVDs? -Keith-
-Keith-

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeff_A

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts

Posted September 07 2001 - 02:54 PM

I'd be too busy grabbing photographs, home video tape, legal documents, clothing, etc...

After that, I would scan my music collection first and then move on to my most critical movies. I would certainly not grab all of my DVD's (or CD's for that matter).

------------------
The Dark Tower

Posted Image

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,426 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted September 07 2001 - 02:55 PM

No, that is what insurance is for. The only thing other than my family and pets would be photos.

------------------
Rich

"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted September 07 2001 - 05:26 PM

Luckily, I have an easily accesable window in my room, and the backyard isn't that far down , so I would grab every dvd I owned (almost 200) and just tossed them out the window, then amidst all the fire, flood, wind etc, I would see if SOMEONE could give me a hand with my Sony VVega! Posted Image

------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"

Leonard from Memento
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted September 07 2001 - 08:25 PM

Yep! First my dog, then my dvds! ------------------ He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing. -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted September 07 2001 - 08:28 PM

I have all my DVDs in Case Logic Albums, so hell ya! I'd probably find a way to haul my TV out too (just like that Pioneer RP-HDTV ad).

------------------
Chuck

Chuckster's HT Site
Equipment List
The Dorm Room Theater

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,166 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 08:14 AM

No, I'd also go for the all the legal paperwork and lockbox security keys, stuff that would really matter if they disapeared. DVDs can be replaced (plus getting them pruned by a natural disaster might be good, I was robbed of 60 of my CDs 6 years ago, and I've only replaced 20 of them, guess I didn't really miss the other 40 CDs...)

------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,493 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted September 08 2001 - 09:35 AM

I doubt it. If I had any OOP discs, I'd consider grabbing them, but as of now, I only have that Beatles 4-disc set which isn't spectacular anyways. Now...if I had some Criterion Collection DVD's like Brazil and that OOP Hard Days Night DVD...I'd do my best. Of course, DVD's come last after pets (3 dogs and a cat), CPU, zip discs, and my 8mm home movies. ------------------ P.S.: There's no P.S.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 10:50 PM

If my pets and family members we all safe and sound, my DVDs would very possibly be my only saved items.

------------------
Scott

Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 11:59 PM

I'm pretty sure I could use my body to ward off the flames for long enough to get the DVD's out. I mean, how important is skin, anyway? Posted Image

------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 12:36 AM

Screw my family, I'd grab as many DVDs as I could and RUN! Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image
DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,921 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 12:27 PM

Nope. I'd take the payout and only replace about half of my collection. Photographs first then paperwork. Brent L

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 01:43 PM

First my dog, then my cat, enough clothing to cover myself, movable ht gear, then dvds. Actually the cat could probably escape on her own more effectively than I could rescue her. The dog would probably try to rescue me. ------------------ Steve S. I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,808 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 09 2001 - 02:39 PM

I'd rescue as much stuff as I can, photos, homemovies, dvds, the cat etc., than when I'm at a safe distance scream as loud as I can "SANDRA!!!Get out the house fast!!!". Posted Image

No actually if some calamity was happening I'd probably wake up tied to the bed, the house empty....

erm ok, if a disaster really was occuring I'd be on the forum posting every detail ....guys, this is Steve ...probably my last message to everyone ...the house is on fire ...Sandra has left the house ...she said she's going for help ...that was an hour ago ...cough cough ....my dvds are melting ...cough cough ...sniff sniff ...my Showgirls dvd is no more! ...this is it guys ...the end ...the keyboard is melting ...I look like Freddy Krueger now ...goodbye my friends ...I................

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Eric Scott

Eric Scott

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 04:34 PM

How am going to save any DVDs or anything else,
when I’d have my hands full saving my own ass? Posted Image

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted September 10 2001 - 12:24 AM

The only disasters I currently need to be concerned about are fires and earthquakes.

If there were an earthquake so bad that I had to leave the house, the DVDs would probably be to damaged to worry about anyway.

If there were a big fire coming up (less chance each year due to massive hillside destruction for new houses) I'd probably be one of those crazy people who get on their roofs with a garden hose. I've got way too many things that are precious to me (including a few DVDs that can't be replaced) to get them all evacuated in time. So, on the roof with a hose...

------------------
My DVDs

"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Dave L

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted September 10 2001 - 05:38 AM

Absolutely not, they're replaceable. Photo albums, genealogy notes, pets, antiques, collectibles, computer files, family heirlooms, paintings, all take precedence to consumer products. I'd leave the CDs, microwaves, computers, and everything else that can be repurchased behind.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted September 10 2001 - 06:19 AM

Actually Ive given this some thought-I have DVD's,CDs and other stuff that could never be replaced.What would I do if the house caught on fire or there was some kind of disaster?? Id throw my matress out the window and then throw the stuff onto it or wrap it up in some blankets and lower it out the window. So the answer most difinitely is yes.When I buy a house though, it will be a ranch(I used to deliver furniture and learned to hate stairs) and I wont have to worry about the fall from a higher floor. ------------------ Visit My Pathetic WebPage "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth- one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung [Edited last by JonZ on September 10, 2001 at 09:20 AM]

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted September 10 2001 - 11:05 AM

Well, first and foremost would be the 2 cats I live with.

Assuming there was time and I could do it safely, I would probably just grab the DVDs that are now out of print. Insurance can pay for the rest.

------------------
Posted Image
"People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted September 10 2001 - 05:26 PM

of course I would. I'd grab the DVD player as well if I could carry it all at the same time. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users