Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Weekly RoundUp 7-25-2006

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 of 33 OFFLINE   Viper

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted July 23 2006 - 02:07 PM

Those new releases of the Halloween movies sparked my attention, and got me wondering about a couple things. IMDB lists like 4 different US releases for Halloween 4. One of them claims to be 2.35:1 even though the technical specs on the movie (and this weeks release) state 1.85:1. What gives? I'm also curious as to whether any of the releases included a pan & scan transfer? and what was special about the "Limited Edition"? Does anyone know any sites that keep more detailed information about specific DVD releases? Amazon.com/IMDB doesn't always list the aspect ratio(s) a DVD is presented in. I'm getting used to widescreen, but I still shy away from 2.35:1/2.40:1 releases. I really wish they'd rerelease some better looking transfers of movies like Gladiator. If you've watched the pan & scan before seeing the DVD, it's so obvious the frames have been cropped at the top and bottom it's sickening. Why do they screw up those Super35 transfers so bad? Most widescreen transfer look good because they include the whole bloody frames. Why are we still being cheated on some hit movies here? Hell, I read somewhere that the director/producer(?) of Air Force One actually prefers the pan and scan release to the widescreen one because it lost so much from the top and bottom. Losing the sides in those cases seems far less noticable. Another thing about aspect ratios. Why are the sites that sell HD-DVD/Blu-Ray seemlingly too lazy to list the damn aspect ratio of them? I assume they're all widescreen, sure, but I'd like to know if it's 1.85:1 or 2.40:1. etc.

#22 of 33 OFFLINE   Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 23 2006 - 02:34 PM

Although I managed to get a relatively good deal on Brisco last week (65 - 10% off coupon and a $15 credit at BB made it just under $44), this week is still going to hurt a little bit. Animaniacs vol.1 Pinky and the Brain vol.1 Shirley Temple Collection vol.4 Maybe Boondocks later in the year. I've heard good things about JAG but it would be a blind buy for me. Any comments would be appreciated.

#23 of 33 OFFLINE   Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted July 23 2006 - 03:52 PM

I'll be picking up all the Paramount HD DVDs except for Sky Captain.

#24 of 33 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

• 4,573 posts

Posted July 23 2006 - 04:44 PM

Mike Cameron: RE: FD3 at Target... The Target.com/CinemaRed website shows the same cover (the rollercoaster) as the regular edition...my guess is that it gives it a 3-D quality. I will try to get a peek at one tomorrow (Monday) and post what I find. Tales from the Crypt is all for me, but a few rentals to add to Netflix (like FD3!!!!) Eric

#25 of 33 OFFLINE   streeter

• 1,394 posts

Posted July 24 2006 - 01:56 AM

Picked up Tales from the Crypt 1-3 at Circuit City. Their deal on Miami Vice Seasons 1 & 2 ($34.99 for the two-pack) isn't valid until tomorrow, so I'll have to go back for that.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#26 of 33 OFFLINE   Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted July 24 2006 - 02:00 AM

Joe, you'd probably get more help with your questions about Halloween if you post it in the Software forum. Posted Image
I've got my own Toto

#27 of 33 OFFLINE   Jason_V

• 5,117 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 24 2006 - 02:51 AM

This week, when I say nothing, I mean absolutely nothing. Then again, I was just going for She-Ra last week and ended up with: To Wong Foo... What Dreams May Come Million Dollar Baby The Terminal Desperate Housewives S1 The Family Man Thank you gents!

#28 of 33 OFFLINE   John Gido

John Gido

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted July 26 2006 - 06:19 AM

Has anyone received/found a copy of "Hudson Hawk 15th Anniversary"? I know it was supposed to be released this week. However, everyone seems to have pulled it from their on-line ordering.
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
-Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."-UnknownMy DVD Collection

#29 of 33 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

• 6,150 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted July 26 2006 - 07:31 AM

Check out some of the daily re-runs on the USA network to see if the show is your cup of tea or not. Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#30 of 33 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,775 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 26 2006 - 08:23 AM

...and a quick "Happy Birthday" to regular RoundUpper Kenneth Cummings! Posted Image

A day late...but any excuse to have a party! Posted Image

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#31 of 33 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 12,164 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 27 2006 - 02:17 PM

Just grabbed "Final Destination 3" at Circuit City for $13.99. Posted Image

I probably should have checked the Wal-Mart next door. It might've been even cheaper.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#32 of 33 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

• 5,683 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted July 28 2006 - 01:45 AM

Heads up for animation fans: The Friday flier for the Houston-area Fry's have the "Animaniacs"/"Pinky & The Brain" sets for $27.99, and "Boondocks" for $26.99. Fry's does regional pricing, but if you live in a Fry's town and want these sets it's worth checking out. This is exactly the kind of thing that has modified my previous behavior of rushing out after work on Tuesday to pick up everything I want. Seems there's always a better deal just around the corner...
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#33 of 33 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,183 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 31 2006 - 02:45 AM

Saw The Boondocks at Costco yesterday -- I forget the price, but it was definitely under $30.

Check out my review in the TV on DVD folder!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users