Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Paramount HD DVD sales surge!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 of 26 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 26 2006 - 12:39 AM

Ron, Sky Captain has a neat visual style, but one of the lead characters is fairly annoying. It is hard to root for someone when you want to slap her silly. I liked the chief bad guy... and noted the use of one of his more famous movie lines: "Is it safe?" Had it not shown up in a big box last week with the nine other Paramount releases, I would have picked this up from Amazon. That 10 percent discount, making the effective cost $17.95, is hard to pass up. And I also paid for Amazon Prime to get 2-day shipping. Prime will pay for itself within three months at my current order rate. But if you are still wary on the purchase, may I recommend Netflix? Their $10/month plan allows one title out at a time, and they do rent all the HD DVD's. - Steve

#22 of 26 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,552 posts

Posted July 26 2006 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I don't rent. I buy what I want. I think I'll join the Amazon prime plan. I already qualified for a year's worth of 10% off purchases so the 2-day shipping will come in handy. As for Sky Captain, I think I'll skip it.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#23 of 26 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 26 2006 - 01:22 AM

Good call on the Amazon Prime. I never thought the prepaid shipping would be a good deal, and I was really proven wrong. Heck, Amazon is now getting into the big box/dry goods grocery business, and prime shipping is ideal for that. Look out Costco! I am also not one to really like rentals, but I have been very selective recently about what discs I purchase, now that we are in a format transition. Format war notwithstanding, since there are still quite a few DVD's not on HD DVD, the occasional rental comes in very handy. And with that $10/month plan, you can get upwards of 10 discs a month--not bad from a cost perspective. - Steve

#24 of 26 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

• 4,275 posts

Posted July 26 2006 - 03:09 AM

YMMV on Sky Captain. I absolutely love it, both for its unique visual style and its nostalgic pulpy goofiness (the original DVD was my top DVD release of 2005). Others hate it. But it's very much one of a kind.

#25 of 26 OFFLINE   Ralph Jenkins

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted July 26 2006 - 03:28 AM

Sleepy Hollow was a must own for me, but then I loved the whole Hammer vibe the movie had. I'd like to see more Tim Burton films on HD DVD.

#26 of 26 OFFLINE   Dan M

Dan M

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted July 26 2006 - 06:07 AM

Sky Captain was a hoot I thought. Great fun. Not to mention great visuals and unique style. Same for Sleepy Hollow. A must have indeed.... Now if I could only get a Braveheart HDDVD by Christmas I would be beside myself....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users