What's new

New Editions of Chronicles of Narnia: Lion, Witch and Wardrobe for the holidays (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Info here.

A four disc set (extended edition with enhanced special effects) for $42.99.

And a Gift set (which consists of the 4-disc set) for $79.99 with WETA bookends.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting to hear more specifics. Enhanced effects and an extra bit of battle sequence isn't going to be enough for a double dip, especially at those prices! :eek:

But if there are substantive additions to the movie, that enhance story or characterization (or hopefully both!), Di$ney may have my pocketbook by the balls again. I love how you don't have to be an animated film to qualify for the dreaded Di$ney vault treatment!

God I loved those SNL skits parodying the Di$ney vault treatment. :D

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Sign me up! Luckily my copy of the SE was a birthday gift, so I can purchase the Gift Set with a clear conscience. :) I can't wait to see what WETA has come up with for the bookends. I'm sure they'll look awesome on top of my entertainment center next to the LOTR trilogy.

I'll look forward to filling the bookends the same way I did with LOTR! :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
pretty pricey for sure. Great film...but may hold out for the hi-def version. However those bookends might be too tempting :)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I may go for it for the C.S. Lewis "feature length" addition. The previous SE had only a tiny blurb about Lewis. I'd still like more info about what might be added to the film itself.

My wife and I are fans of the novels and quite liked the film.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Enhanced visual effects? What? Last year's technology doesn't hold up anymore?

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
It's unfortunate that we splurged for the 2-disc SE and now they would like us to dive in again for a four disc or gift set. I'll probably pass.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
It irritates me that Disney is selling the 4-disc set at such a high price point. Besides the extended cut of the movie, all of the first two discs of the new set are identical to the 2-disc set, and it will be selling for at least $30 on release day. Compare that to the LOTR movies, which gave us 4 discs of new material for around $25 on release day, which the public new about before the 2-disc set even hit shelves.

As of today, there will have to be some major glowing reviews for me to pick up the new version.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm a huge fan of the books. Moderate fan of the movie.

Splurged on the 2-disc set at the time of release. Won't be getting sucked-in on this expensive double-dip.

Instead I think I'll open up the set of books again this summer for some lakeside reading. :D

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
So what is the disc layout of this? The two discs from the original SE plus two new ones?

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Disc 1 has the extended cut with the same bonus features as Disc 1 of the 2-Disc Collector's Edition.

Disc 2 is identical to Disc 2 of the CE.

Disc 3 has the C.S. Lewis feature-length documentary.

Disc 4 has the visualization feature and the galleries.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I was already weary of double-dipping, considering I haven't even watched the 2-disc SE I bought a few months ago. But these specs have sealed the deal. It's way too expensive for meager extras and an extended edition that is relatively short (compared to other recent EEs). I'll stick with what I have.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Screw you, Weta! You didn't get me with your FOTR bookends, and you won't get me now! :D

I think I'm gonna hold out for the eventual HD release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I'm waiting for a High Definition release.

In fact, had Disney announced this for Blu-Ray I would probably
be more inclined to buy a player.

Come on studios, let's start thinking about promoting these
new HD formats with supporting releases like this.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I bought the cheapo one disc, precisely because I thought they might do this. So I will get this release for sure.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I must be doing something wrong. Everytime I click the link, I go to the UltimateDisney.com news page and from there I cannot find the set/bookends anywhere. Help?

I found a discussion about the set, but that's it. I also found a picture of the face of the cover art.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks