Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with "Friday Night Lights"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 02:42 PM

This is really disappointing! 15 minutes into the disc...pauses, lipsynch problems, stuttering, pixelations...take out the disc to wipe...problem seems to disappear. However, 25 minutes later, picture pauses, no audio, cannot get player to FF or STOP!

It seems that the recent update didn't help. Why is the Toshiba so sensitive in playing HD-DVD discs, and yet I never have a problem playing standard discs? Also had a glitch with "The Bourne Supremacy" but nothing major.

Now, each time I buy a new HD-DVD disc, I wonder if it's going to give me problems. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 of 8 Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 03:25 PM

Have you updated your firmware? If not, that could be your problem. Or maybe you just got a bad player. My copy of FNL played fine.

#3 of 8 Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 05:22 PM

Well, I was so desperate to watch this disc (I love watching sports movies) that I ended up wiping it with a Baby Wipe. I allowed the disc to dry, then I wiped out any residue, then wiped it again till it was shining like glass. Popped in the disc again, and it played all the way through! I DO NOT recommend Baby Wipes, but it did work. Btw, another poster told me that this was the first disc that gave him problems also. I think that the Toshiba is so sensitive to HD discs, that any speckle of dirt will cause it to malfunction.

Anyway, thanks for listening...had to vent.

#4 of 8 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 06:05 PM

Well...
how's it look when its NOT burping & slurping (insert baby noises)??? ;-)
The SD DVD had an almost 3D effect with the rain during the game scenes.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#5 of 8 Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted July 22 2006 - 04:16 AM

LOL, Ed! I didn't see the standard version of FNL, but now you got me curious of the comparisons. Btw, I was very worried the player was going to spit-up the disc, but it didn't. Posted Image

#6 of 8 Terry-A

Terry-A

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted July 22 2006 - 08:02 AM

get a Memorex OptiFix Pro.....it works great and dosnt scratch the disc....i clean the movies right out of the case even brand new....i had brand new disc's that skipped and went out of sync right from the case....cut down on 99% of the skipping and sync problems....if you have any trouble after cleaning it take it right back or send it right back to the store.....Pitch Black was a bad disc for me...played once thru great then the next day couldnt get it to work....sent it back and got a new one...works great now....

#7 of 8 Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted July 22 2006 - 11:28 AM

Thanks Terry-A, I'll look into that.

#8 of 8 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 22 2006 - 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry-A
get a Memorex OptiFix Pro.....it works great and dosnt scratch the disc....i clean the movies right out of the case even brand new....i had brand new disc's that skipped and went out of sync right from the case....cut down on 99% of the skipping and sync problems....if you have any trouble after cleaning it take it right back or send it right back to the store.....Pitch Black was a bad disc for me...played once thru great then the next day couldnt get it to work....sent it back and got a new one...works great now....
Thanks, Terry.
And, welcome to the forum!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!