Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Benchwarmers

Blu-ray Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 05:03 AM

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for watching this movie, to give us a fine review.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 21 2006 - 05:28 AM

Yes, thanks for subjecting yourself to this one. Is this encoded in MPEG2? Thanks - Steve

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 07:28 AM

Hi Steve ...not sure about MPEG 2 - if there is a button on the Samsung that informs me of that I have yet to find it! According to an online article from Widescreen Review, I'm sure I read that VC-1 won't be ready for Blu-Ray until around fall. I'll have to read it again. Regardless, the video quality is as good as I've seen on HD-DVD. Mike

Michael Osadciw

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 21 2006 - 08:17 AM

Is there a "display" button that shows things like time remaining, format, etc. on the Samsung? The Toshibas show things like 1080i, VC1, dts, etc., when you hit the display button--very handy.

I'm doing the slow, impatient, hold the credit card back wait for the Sony player...and that is going to be torture once Robocop is released. Posted Image

Glad that the video quality holds up. Ain't high def grand!!!

- Steve

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 08:29 AM

Hi Steve The Samsung has an "info" button on it but it doesn't say what video codec is used like the Toshiba did. I know what you mean about holding back the credit card...arrrggghhh...I'm curious about the Panasonic machine that will be released in September. I agree hi-def is grand! It's so hard to go back to SD once I've been spoiled with HD...did a comparison between The Terminator Blu-Ray and SD-DVD...if one can't see the difference...sucks to be them! Mike

Michael Osadciw

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 09:05 AM

How would the video quality compare to the current two best blu-ray disks "Ultraviolet" and "Underworld Evolution"?
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 10:04 AM

Neil, I have both of those titles here and plan to watch them on the weekend. I'll let the forum know in a form of a review. Mike

Michael Osadciw

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff(R)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 11:25 AM

Thank you Michael. I appreciate your thorough reviews.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Bob Black

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted July 24 2006 - 10:29 AM

There is another review of this release that is hardly as kind. They have been pretty accurate in reviewing HD-DVD's, as I have 30 titles and the reviewer is generally spot-on. No offense to the other review here, but additional input is always a good thing.

http://bluray.highde...nchwarmers.html

"Colors are also fairly well saturated, though not quite as vivid as the better recent transfers I've seen. I also noticed some apparent noisiness at times on hard-to-reproduce hues like deep reds and blues. Detail is also fairly good if still lacking overall, with the image looking flat most of the time. Some subtleties are visible (most impressive are the brightly-lit daytime baseball sequences) but it never quite achieves the level of three-dimensionality of the best high-def.

Also a problem is pixelization and edginess. I noticed fairly frequent ringing on the lines of the baseball diamond in a couple of shots, as well as some color banding in areas with color gradations, such as horizons. I don't know if this has to do with the fact that Sony is currently using MPEG-2 compression on its Blu-ray titles and this release comes stuffed with extras (see below), but I expect a bit better from pre-recorded HD these days."

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted July 26 2006 - 02:47 AM

Hi Bob, I don't think I was too kind to this release...a 7/10 for BD is comparative to a 3.5/5 for a DVD, as I've noted in the review. I've also noted a similar impression with colour - I wasn't that happy with it. As far as pixelization, edginess, and ringing, I disagree entirely. As of this time the link isn't active so I'm not sure what display device the reviewer is using or if it's calibrated properly. Many displays introduce artefacts of their own that can be confused as problems with source material. That makes a big difference when judging a disc. Thanks for the additional information and this reply isn't intended to discredit the other reviewer. Mike

Michael Osadciw

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users