-

Photo
- - - - -

Prison Break Season One on August 8th! Not enough time for newbies!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 04:41 AM

The first season of Prison Break is being released on DVD on August 8th, but the season premiere of season two is on the 21st! What kind of planning is that!?!

Anyone who missed the first season's broadcasts and wants to start watching because of word-of-mouth will have less than two weeks to watch the entire first season before new episodes start up again! 24 gives you months, but not Prison Break! Posted Image
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 21 2006 - 04:57 AM

It's fairly common. The Smallville DVDs used to debut after the start of the following season. I'm sure there are some who will find a way to cram all of the PB episodes in before the season starts, but that will not be the ideal way to view it, I don't think. It's really pretty dense, and it needs some space to be told. A marathon would seem like overload to me. I wish we were past the time when studios did this, but I guess they can't always control when they can get a quality product out.

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 05:50 AM

Certain shows you can watch "marathon" style.

I have mixed feelings about the show. I started watching in and liked it, then it started to sour on me and I lost track of it.

Keep in mind that I was watching it on TiVo, so I was watching eps back-to-back.

Prison dramas typically aren't my thing. Plus, other than "24" and maybe "Lost" I am sort of starting to get tired of the gimmick-heavy cliffhanger shows (there are more planned for this season, and most will probably fail).

Don't get me wrong, it is a compelling drama.

I had thought I might collect this show on DVD since I missed most of the first season, but I dunno.

I just wonder how long they can keep the "gimmick" interesting.

"24" is far-fetched, but the story for each season is essentially resolved at the end of that season.

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 06:22 AM

13 days is ample time if you watch 2 a day.... remember that Disney released Housewives season 1 five days before season 2 premiered, leaving a lot of people who were virgins to the show deciding to also put season 2 off to DVD because they were already a few episodes in before they could catch up... at least they are releasing season 2 about a month before 3 premieres so the same mistake won't happen again.

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 07:30 AM

You'll get hooked and run a DVD marathon...

2 weeks is plenty of time if you at least have the time to devote to watching the episodes. If you have a DVR, you could always record a few episodes of season 2 to give you enough time to catch up on Season 1.

I've seen every episode since the premiere of season one so I'm in no rush to get the DVDs, and will probably wait for a price drop.

...but yeah you are going to want to watch all of season one before watching any of season 2.

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 21 2006 - 07:35 AM

Quote:
remember that Disney released Housewives season 1 five days before season 2 premiered, leaving a lot of people who were virgins to the show deciding to also put season 2 off to DVD because they were already a few episodes in before they could catch up... at least they are releasing season 2 about a month before 3 premieres so the same mistake won't happen again.

I used to decide to put off a show, but I could no longer take waiting a full year. I guess the best bet is to record the first few episodes if you can't or don't want to marathon a show.

Quote:
I just wonder how long they can keep the "gimmick" interesting.

It's my understanding that season two is the last by design. A true "novel for television." I suspect if the ratings are out-of-this-world, that could be changed.

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

It's my understanding that season two is the last by design. A true "novel for television." I suspect if the ratings are out-of-this-world, that could be changed.

When season 1 premiered, TV Guide said that the creator had the first 5 seasons outlined...

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted July 21 2006 - 04:18 PM

The creator of Prison Break has said the show is set up to last two, possibly three years. I think you're confusing this with Lost, which J.J. Abrams has said was set up with the first five years planned.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted July 22 2006 - 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahS
The creator of Prison Break has said the show is set up to last two, possibly three years. I think you're confusing this with Lost, which J.J. Abrams has said was set up with the first five years planned.

NO, I am not confusing Prison Break with Lost...

It was in TVguide and it was one of the main articles in whatever issue when the show was about to Premiere in August of 2005. If someone is a collector, I suppose they could dredge it up. It basically said the creator, Paul Scheuring, had the first FIVE seasons/years planned in his head or written out or whatever.

Who knows if the show will be on for 5 seasons, but I'm only posting what was written in TVguide almost a year ago. Things change, but I'm not making this up, and I'm not confusing this information with any other show. Thank you.

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted July 22 2006 - 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John*D
NO, I am not confusing Prison Break with Lost...

It was in TVguide and it was one of the main articles in whatever issue when the show was about to Premiere in August of 2005. If someone is a collector, I suppose they could dredge it up. It basically said the creator, Paul Scheuring, had the first FIVE seasons/years planned in his head or written out or whatever.

Who knows if the show will be on for 5 seasons, but I'm only posting what was written in TVguide almost a year ago. Things change, but I'm not making this up, and I'm not confusing this information with any other show. Thank you.
Since you insist it was in TV Guide and that you aren't confusing the information:

Quote:
"There are a lot of secrets hidden in the narrative, so that should be fun for the audience," says [Paul] Scheuring, who claims to have already plotted out the first two seasons. "It's not like we're looking for a polar bear in this episode and it might pay off in two years." (In other words: Get Lost, J.J. Abrams!)

- from "Romeos and Juliets" by Bruce Fretts, TV Guide, August 28-September 3, 2005

- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted July 22 2006 - 05:38 PM

Just because he has plotted out the first two seasons it doesn't mean that the show will "only" last two seasons.

It simply means that they've planned ahead.

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted July 22 2006 - 05:43 PM

I don't think I'll be able to find a specific article for this one, but I do believe Scheuring stated around the time the show was renewed for a second season that he didn't see the show lasting more than two to three years because, despite the suspension of reality required for the show's plot line, there has to be a point where the story concludes.

Now, if it becomes a bigger hit in its second or even third year, Fox could always pick it up for additional seasons and Scheuring could try to find a way to extend the storyline. I mean, many people wondered how 24 could last more than a single season, and it's going to at least an eighth season (plus a film) at this point.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 22 2006 - 05:56 PM

Yeah, it was my memory that he actually said the story was good for two years. It makes sense to me. I don't know that I want it stretched out any further.

BTW, I don't think anyone has said anything to require it yet, but remember that spoiler tags will be necessary when discussing the show in this thread, I believe, since the assumption is that people interested in the DVD might never have seen the show. In fact, the particular subject matter of the thread makes that very probable. I only bring it up because I almost said something I shouldn't have and stopped in time.

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted July 23 2006 - 05:39 AM

ok then...

Just remembered it being 5 instead of 2. Had nothing to do with LOST, but it's good to hear that LOST might be around for 5 years. Thanks.

p.s. - I hope Prison Break lasts for at least 5 seasons. It would be great!

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted July 23 2006 - 08:56 AM

BestBuy is going to be offering an exclusive bonus disc that has all 26 of the 2 minute long MOBILE phone episodes that they did in sponsorship with Toyota. Sounds like a good extra, should have been included in the set to begin with...

Don't order online, as they almost never include the bonus disc.

http://www.bestbuy.c....cat95600050022

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted July 23 2006 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the information! I usually don't go to Best Buy, but this (like the Boston Legal deal with a bonus disc of The Practice) sounds too good to pass up.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted July 23 2006 - 07:21 PM

2 weeks is all the time anyone should need to get caught up. I got through 5 seasons of Gilmore Girls in a month and a half, and the second season took me less than 36hrs to complete.

I also got through Veronica Mars season one in 4 days.

2 weeks is plenty of time.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Sylvia*ST

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted July 24 2006 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John*D
ok then...

Just remembered it being 5 instead of 2.
p.s. - I hope Prison Break lasts for at least 5 seasons. It would be great!

My doctor's assistant lives in the same condo bldg as the exec producer and he told her he had 5-count 'em-5 seasons completely drafted with every beat of every episode before Fox would even buy the series. This is very good news for those of us devoted to the series.

I can't believe this show (and Lost) was shut out of the Emmys. Can't believe it.

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted July 24 2006 - 11:48 AM

It usually takes me 1 week to get through a full season. However with this show even though I like it I don't think it will see much replay value from me so I'm passing on this and waiting for the season 2 premiere Posted Image

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted July 30 2006 - 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahS
Now, if it becomes a bigger hit in its second or even third year, Fox could always pick it up for additional seasons and Scheuring could try to find a way to extend the storyline. I mean, many people wondered how 24 could last more than a single season, and it's going to at least an eighth season (plus a film) at this point.

Yeah, but 24 tells different stories every year, doesn't it? (I've never watched it, so I don't know a lot about the stories.) Break has to focus on the same story unless it picks up different characters every year in various prisons and creates new breakouts.

I'm watching the S1 DVDs - never saw the show as broadcast - and I like it, though I do wonder how they'll maintain interest for at least 2 seasons focused on the same breakout. Well, I'm only six episodes in, so I'll have to wait a while to decide my opinion...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow