Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Mary Hartman" Where Art Thou?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   JeffCNY

JeffCNY

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 03:22 PM

A few months back I recall reading --- somewhere --- that this title was on a studio's release schedule (without any confirmed date.)

Has anyone heard anything a bit more concrete?

Given the show's format (five half hour episodes a week,) this one would be a mighty undertaking indeed for DVD release.

And, it goes without saying, in a continuing "drama" of this sort, nothing would be more futile for potential buyers than the typical scenario of releasing one set --- and then abandoning it.

Jeff

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Claude North

Claude North

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 04:04 PM

I'm all for a DVD release of MHMH. I voted for it back in the day when CTHV conducted those polls on their website and would definitely collect the entire series.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   LeonaB

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 05:35 PM

I'd love to see MH2 on DVD, as well. I wonder, though, how it might be done considering that, as Jeff pointed out, the amount of episodes is pretty steep.

Changing the subject somewhat...Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a new business model come forth for dealing with soap operas. How about putting all episodes up for download and let the consumer decide how many episodes he/she wants. Or specially-made discs, again selected by the consumer, with episodes ordered. I know that soaps are going to be difficult when it comes to offering shows to the public because of the huge number of episodes, but personally, I'd pay for a few years' worth of episodes without batting an eye! I definitely don't want "Best of" or compilation DVDs. They've tried those in the past and it never worked.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 12:25 AM

Isn't MHMH from Sony? I can see them releasing One set and then never another. It would be a difficult series to release that's for sure. I'd Also like to see Fernwood Tonight, when I was a kid I loved that show, it was whacked.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Kenny Neal

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 06:39 AM

Fernwood 2-Nite would be very welcome on DVD. It is hilarious.
The Journal of Ephemeral Inspiration
Finest Kind.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   JeffCNY

JeffCNY

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Neal
Fernwood 2-Nite would be very welcome on DVD. It is hilarious.

It's part of the "Mary Hartman" syndication package, since "Fernwood" kicked in when "Hartman" abruptly ended owing to Louise Lassser's various problems. Initially, "Fernwood" picked up the story-line's threads but it sooned moved off into its own territory.

Seeing as how unlikely it is that "Hartman" would ever get past the first season, I wouldn't hold out hope it would last long enough as a viable DVD release to even get anywhere near the "Fernwood 2-Nite" transition and change-over. Posted Image

If I had to guess, they'll simply release a multi-episode "favorite episode" disc (the same 4 episode compilation that appeared on VHS and laserdisc) and jump ship immediately thereafter --- while proclaiming they've done something lovely for fans of the show and "value our customer's input." Posted Image

Jeff

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCNY
It's part of the "Mary Hartman" syndication package, since "Fernwood" kicked in when "Hartman" abruptly ended owing to Louise Lassser's various problems. Initially, "Fernwood" picked up the story-line's threads but it sooned moved off into its own territory.

Seeing as how unlikely it is that "Hartman" would ever get past the first season, I wouldn't hold out hope it would last long enough as a viable DVD release to even get anywhere near the "Fernwood 2-Nite" transition and change-over. Posted Image

If I had to guess, they'll simply release a multi-episode "favorite episode" disc (the same 4 episode compilation that appeared on VHS and laserdisc) and jump ship immediately thereafter --- while proclaiming they've done something lovely for fans of the show and "value our customer's input." Posted Image

Jeff

Actually that's not quite true. MHMH became Forever Fernwood, basically a Louise Lasser-Less MHMH, then it was Spun off to Fernwood 2-Nite with Martin Mull creating the Character of Barth Gimbel, the Brother of the Deceased (Killed By a Xmas Tree) Garth Gimble of MHMH Fame.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,277 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 20 2006 - 09:03 AM

Actually, Fernwood 2Night started in the summer of 1977, then that fall came the revised "Forever Fernwood," then in the summer of 1978 "America 2Night."

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   JeffCNY

JeffCNY

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 09:30 AM

Thanks Dave & Matt for fixing my admittedly sloppy chronology.

It's been so many years that it's all a blur --- albeit a pleasant one.

Truth be told, I'd prefer the two Fernwood shows over MH,MH but one just wouldn't seem right without the other.

Wouldn't mind seeing Mary Kay Place as "Loretta Haggers" again, though! Posted Image

Jeff

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 03:30 PM

"Fernwood 2-Nite" (later "America 2-Night") was a great show! But each season (one with each title) was 65 episodes -- basically, three seasons in one. I'd have to imagine they'd split seasons if they did it. I know this is heresy around here, but I'd actually be happy with a "best of," though I'd buy it in any form they want to sell it to me.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,390 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 06:11 PM

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=5652

That was the news item that mentioned Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman coming to dvd. I also saw this same promo, but on the Jeffersons season 5 dvd. Have any further details come out yet? I'm really looking forward to this!

Forum Nav Content I Follow