What's new

"Mary Hartman" Where Art Thou? (1 Viewer)

JeffCNY

Agent
A few months back I recall reading --- somewhere --- that this title was on a studio's release schedule (without any confirmed date.)

Has anyone heard anything a bit more concrete?

Given the show's format (five half hour episodes a week,) this one would be a mighty undertaking indeed for DVD release.

And, it goes without saying, in a continuing "drama" of this sort, nothing would be more futile for potential buyers than the typical scenario of releasing one set --- and then abandoning it.

Jeff

Claude North

Second Unit
I'm all for a DVD release of MHMH. I voted for it back in the day when CTHV conducted those polls on their website and would definitely collect the entire series.

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see MH2 on DVD, as well. I wonder, though, how it might be done considering that, as Jeff pointed out, the amount of episodes is pretty steep.

Changing the subject somewhat...Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a new business model come forth for dealing with soap operas. How about putting all episodes up for download and let the consumer decide how many episodes he/she wants. Or specially-made discs, again selected by the consumer, with episodes ordered. I know that soaps are going to be difficult when it comes to offering shows to the public because of the huge number of episodes, but personally, I'd pay for a few years' worth of episodes without batting an eye! I definitely don't want "Best of" or compilation DVDs. They've tried those in the past and it never worked.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Isn't MHMH from Sony? I can see them releasing One set and then never another. It would be a difficult series to release that's for sure. I'd Also like to see Fernwood Tonight, when I was a kid I loved that show, it was whacked.

JeffCNY

Agent

It's part of the "Mary Hartman" syndication package, since "Fernwood" kicked in when "Hartman" abruptly ended owing to Louise Lassser's various problems. Initially, "Fernwood" picked up the story-line's threads but it sooned moved off into its own territory.

Seeing as how unlikely it is that "Hartman" would ever get past the first season, I wouldn't hold out hope it would last long enough as a viable DVD release to even get anywhere near the "Fernwood 2-Nite" transition and change-over. :frowning:

If I had to guess, they'll simply release a multi-episode "favorite episode" disc (the same 4 episode compilation that appeared on VHS and laserdisc) and jump ship immediately thereafter --- while proclaiming they've done something lovely for fans of the show and "value our customer's input." :P

Jeff

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Actually that's not quite true. MHMH became Forever Fernwood, basically a Louise Lasser-Less MHMH, then it was Spun off to Fernwood 2-Nite with Martin Mull creating the Character of Barth Gimbel, the Brother of the Deceased (Killed By a Xmas Tree) Garth Gimble of MHMH Fame.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Actually, Fernwood 2Night started in the summer of 1977, then that fall came the revised "Forever Fernwood," then in the summer of 1978 "America 2Night."

JeffCNY

Agent
Thanks Dave & Matt for fixing my admittedly sloppy chronology.

It's been so many years that it's all a blur --- albeit a pleasant one.

Truth be told, I'd prefer the two Fernwood shows over MH,MH but one just wouldn't seem right without the other.

Wouldn't mind seeing Mary Kay Place as "Loretta Haggers" again, though! ;)

Jeff

Mike*SC

Second Unit
"Fernwood 2-Nite" (later "America 2-Night") was a great show! But each season (one with each title) was 65 episodes -- basically, three seasons in one. I'd have to imagine they'd split seasons if they did it. I know this is heresy around here, but I'd actually be happy with a "best of," though I'd buy it in any form they want to sell it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks