What's new

Discover Deep Bass (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I have a Miller & Kriesel MX 100 sub. I can't find much on it other than some very vague data on the M&K website. Any info would be helpful

Thanx in advance,
Seth=L:) :) :) :)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Funny thing, Everyone that has stopped to look at this thread probably has the exact same problem I do. They can't find what they are looking for. It is a cruel world isn't it?

chuckg

Supporting Actor
it's Miller and Kreisel.

Like you say, there isn't anything on their website. I couldn't even find the model you mention.

Alan M

Second Unit
The thread title is the name of M&K's drivers.

Seth, I own an old M&K mx2000(the only dipole sub M&K ever made).I recently took it to M&k for a refurb.While there,I spoke with Barry in tech support about my sub.Hes very helpful,you might try giving him a call,

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The VX 100 is a nice small subwoofer, but I have a MX 100 it is a push pull design with two 12" woofers. One woofer faces frontward and the other is mounted on the bottom facing into the cabinet. It takes a 4 amp fuse so that would lead me to believe it has a lot of power and from listening to it, it does. I was just looking for more detailed specs on this sub.

Seth

Alan M

Second Unit
Not sure if this helps Seth but,

The 'discover deep bass" driver is an 8+8 ohm driver.M&K uses a red connector wire to bring each driver down to an 8 ohm load.If you look at the back of either driver ,you'll see the connector. I have an extra driver sitting in the garage from my refurb.that I'll be using for a DIY project.
I'm not sure on your model,but most M&K subs are rated down to 20 hz(a few down to 16).In room response should bring you down in the "teens".

BTW,the new M&K drivers"super fast bass"(marketing,isnt it wonderful :) ),are 8 ohm loads with no connector.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The mx 100 is the second largest sub in its series yours, the mx 2000 being the largest, is still much larger mine only weighs about 90lbs. I guess that is still is pretty big, but not next to 125lbs. The M&K site has a manual in the dicontinued sector of the site. It covers the entire series or production years that they ran (about 15 subs). Needless to say the 16 page manual is quite vague since it is covering a vast range of subs.

Seth=L

Alan M

Second Unit
Aye,I have the manual.Thats why I recommended talking to Barry.He has most of M&K's subs specs on his computer and can answer your questions .

BTW,during my refurb,M&K replaced both my older drivers with the new model(tis why I have one older driver to use in a DIY project) :)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
How much was the refurb and how much improvement was there. I also do not understand what you said before about the loads I had always assumed this sub had dual voice coils for each woofer.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I can't speak for Alan of coarse and I have never heard the sub before but you would think if had a significant advantage in design over it's newer siblings then they would make another, but to date that is the only one they have made.

Seth=L

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The only reason I ask is that "dipole" implies a specific radiation pattern, with cancellations to the sides. If the drivers are in-phase and just operating in "push-pull", it's a monopole. I guess you could also call it "bipole", but that'd also be monopole at low frequencies.

Alan M

Second Unit
Jack,

The MX-2000 was the only,what M&K calls dipole sub they made.Rather then one driver facing forward and one down,as in other M&K subs,the 2000 has one driver facing forward (mounted on the front of the sub)and one facing forward(mounted in the rear of the sub) but producing sound rearward.

While it produces sound in equal amounts both forward and rearward(with speaker grills on the front and back),its not a true dipole.

As to what difference the new drivers made,I have no idea.I bought the sub used for a song(pun intended),and found one of the drivers not working.I then called M&K(local for me) and took it in for the refurb. :)

Seth,the refurb was amazingly cheap.No,I mean really cheap.They replaced the gaskets and replaced both drivers,then ran numerous tests.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

That's what I had assumed. In that case, it's either bipole or monopole, not sure why they'd call it dipole.

Alan M

Second Unit
Seth,

If I had been willing to replace the drivers myself,it would have been less,With M&K doing the labor,it was the cost of lunch more then $200.

Jack,
One thing I'm not sure of and your posts brought this to mind.If the drivers are wired in phase or out.If,in phase then bipole would be correct.If they were wired out of phase,could it then be called a dipole? I honestly dont know,tis why I'm asking the question. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks