Photo

Film Noir Classic Collection Vol. 3 in slim cases?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 JimKr

JimKr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 06:46 AM

Just received my copy from our favorite online retailer and to my surprise the discs are in very slim cases unlike volumes 1 & 2. I certainly wish the previous 2 sets were in the same type cases. That or this set was in the same cases the first 2 were. Not a big deal but it struck me as odd that Warner would change course like that.

#2 of 28 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 08:07 AM

I say good deal! Now I don't have to do it myself!

#3 of 28 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 19 2006 - 08:08 AM

I have no inside knowledge but I'd bet that it's to save on the limited shelf space of retailers.

#4 of 28 Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 08:22 AM

Warner announced a few months ago that they were phasing in the slim line cases on their sets. I'm quite glad. The spines aren't as nice, but the space that is saved makes it well worth it.

#5 of 28 John Hodson

John Hodson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 19 2006 - 08:23 AM

..well it sure saves space here too. Bring 'em on Warners, my groaning shelves love you.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#6 of 28 Garysb

Garysb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 08:39 AM

I would think it would depend on if the films are to be released individually or not as the determining factor of slim case or not. The Clark Gable Signature set and Bette Davis Vol 2 recently released were not slim case and most of the films were also available individually. An exception to this was the Lucy/Desi set
which was slim case and 2 of the films were released separately in the slim case. Lucy/Desi ( Long, Long Trailer and Forever, Darling) are the only slim cases I am aware that were released without the box. Maybe its a test.

#7 of 28 Rod J

Rod J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 08:55 AM

It would be nice to have the collection in consistent packaging. Will they offer slim cases for existing owners of collections 1 & 2.
Also, does anyone know if they're going to pull this on the Astaire & Rogers second collection.

#8 of 28 Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 10:40 AM

I would have preferred consistent packaging, but that's no big deal... Will buy anyway.

#9 of 28 JimKr

JimKr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 12:05 PM

I like the packaging, the issue is consistency. It would be nice if they offered slim cases for the older sets. Not a big deal, it just struck me as odd.

#10 of 28 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 12:07 PM

Also would have preferred consistency, but nothing will prevent me from buying these on release day!

I was under the impressiont hat Warner would not switch up the packaging of existing release series.

I do appreciate the space-saving, and it is really needed... I'm just a bit compulsive about the display of my collection.

Oh well.

#11 of 28 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,134 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 19 2006 - 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I have no inside knowledge but I'd bet that it's to save on the limited shelf space of retailers.
That is probably a major motivation behind this decision because Warner produces more boxsets than all of the other studios combined. Also, this works for the future because Warner has plenty of other film noirs to release in future boxset releases.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#12 of 28 Steve...O

Steve...O

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,165 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 02:48 PM

Let's all stop and remember that if Warners did everything based on consistency, all of these releases would be in snappers.

All they're doing is adapting to changing consumer and retail demands. There will always be those who won't be happy, but many fans and retailers have been asking for slimmer packages and Warners is responding.

Good for them.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#13 of 28 Corey

Corey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 03:06 PM

since only 2 out of 5 titles in the ronald reagan set will be released individually, that set will most likely have the slim cases too.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#14 of 28 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 03:37 PM

A slight bit annoying, but certainly nothing fatal. The must-own factor is still just as high. Posted Image

#15 of 28 DeeF

DeeF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 12:12 AM

I took Warners' Film Noir Sets 1 and 2 and put them in slimline cases -- all 10 fit inside the original box for Set 1! It saves a lot of room, really. I hope all the future sets come in slimlines.

#16 of 28 JohnPM

JohnPM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 01:21 AM

Slimcases would be hard to shelve and sell retail, but in boxes, they're fine. I would think it's just a matter of which titles are sold individually that determines whether or not they're slim or regular.

http://greenbriarpic...s.blogspot.com/

#17 of 28 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,134 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 20 2006 - 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
Let's all stop and remember that if Warners did everything based on consistency, all of these releases would be in snappers.

All they're doing is adapting to changing consumer and retail demands. There will always be those who won't be happy, but many fans and retailers have been asking for slimmer packages and Warners is responding.

Good for them.
Great post that I agree with totally.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#18 of 28 DeeF

DeeF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 02:36 AM

If Warner started re-releasing on their older DVDs in slimline cases, which I already own in snappers, I'd buy them all again! As it is now, I'm consigned to making my own cases for these.

#19 of 28 Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 02:41 AM

On Turner Classic Movies, they aired a commercial for the Film Noir Vol 3 boxset, and they were indeed in the slim cases.

#20 of 28 Thomas T

Thomas T

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 04:46 AM

I'm not a slim line fan. I probably wouldn't have minded if I kept the original titles in their box but I don't. On TV, like the Big Valley or Hart To Hart boxes, I don't mind the slim line case at all since they are all the same show but box sets of films are of different films even if they are connected thematically. I tossed out the box of noir sets 1 and 2 and placed the titles alphabetically in my collection. Now, I'll just have to pull the films out of their slim line cases and place them in regular keepcases and voila!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow