What's new

King Kong Extended Edition: Nov. 14th (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I wonder what will be added to this extended edition. Personally, I thought the movie could've been an hour shorter. Regardless of the first 60 minutes or so, the rest of the movie was incredible. If the extended edition contains more action sequences, I'm definitely game.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Ugh. I felt the theatrical cut was insanely overlong as edited -- nearly every scene could have been trimmed in half and been just as effective (when even the big dinosaur scene felt overlong, it's definitely a problem). A Director's Shorter Cut would be a great idea -- but an Extended edition??

Whatever happened to less is more?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I would be interested to find out how much longer it is.

The beginning was simply jaw dropping scenery

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I though what we had was the Director's Cut? It is a very long movie but if you think, Jackson is playing out every scene to its fullest leaving no questions or cliffhangers as the story progresses. But what can be added to make a very long movie even longer (4 hours ?)

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Great news. I am glad to see an extended cut because I was so entertained and enjoyed the film so much, I could have sat there another hour easily.

Looking forward to the official specs.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I also look forward to the EE of king kong. I enjoyed the theatre version very much. It was my favorite movie of last year.

Jacob

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I got around to watching all of the production and post production diaries about a month ago. I walked away from it with the feeling that Peter Jackson's King Kong isn't really a movie, it's more of an experience. So in that regard, does it need to be watched in just one sitting? Or can it be considered more of an extended form of storytelling like a television show or a miniseries?

Anyway, I'm surprised by the number of discs. I figured there'd be at least two for bonus material, but I guess with the three discs of production diaries out there, we've already got a rather comprehensive look at the making of Kong.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

:D

I'm glad I held out on buying the theatrical version. I'll at least be renting this one before I buy either.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Everyone I know who is not a big LOTR fan thought those films were VERY long and when I mentioned the Extended versions they all said, "You"re KIDDING!" they are longer?!?!?!" But interestingly in my opinion the longer versions are superior.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know how much longer the extended version will be?
I'd really liked King Kong, but I'm not sure about anymore length.

Regarding LOTR, the story was much more complex and even more enjoyable (some of my favorite movies), so the length was not an issue to me.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
The extended edition of the Fellowship is superior. The other two films are hit and miss depending on the extended or new scenes. With Kong, there's no way this film should be 45 minutes longer than it already is.

I'm curious to see what he added by I just don't see myself buying this set. I have a hard enough time getting through Kong in its theatrical length....

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
It will restore all the scenes that reveal Kong can speak with the voice of Ian Mckellen.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Sometimes a longer film feels shorter. Kingdom of Heaven felt too long at 2.25 hours, and was a masterpiece at 3 hours. It's never length...it's pacing. Kong does feel stuffed as is, but I eagerly look forward to an extended version. Just a beautiful film.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I hope the extended cut of the movie throws in some more character moments and slows down the pace a little in its second act. I actually didn't mind the hour-plus build-up to all the action. However, some very interesting character arcs began on the sea voyage that were never really resolved to my satisfaction. For example, Jimmy's backstory: does he have a connection to the island? The Jimmy/Hayes relationship, with Joseph Conrad in a supporting role: is there any more meaning to it? Once the second act got rolling, it seemed that all these interesting character arcs which were only hinted at were tossed aside to make room for what the audience (ostensibly) paid to see: Kong and lots of visual effects sequences.

More action scenes are fine. But I think they (and the movie) would flow a bit better in the second act with some dramatic padding in between. If such moments aren't forthcoming, however, I say trim the sea voyage by a few minutes to remove the dangling story threads. Knowing Jackson, however, I don't think that will happen. :)

But I will most likely pick up this edition regardless. I'm glad Universal let Jackson go through with this release.

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Its now suddenly been removed from Universals press website - so I guess no more details will be forthcoming today unfortunately!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks