What's new

James Bond Ultimate Ed Framing Issues (1 Viewer)

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Just bought this morning Goldeneye (uncut) and Dr No
upon taking a few grabs to see if they have renewed the goldeneye transfer i noticed that they have reframed the film:

new

old

Living Daylights this transfer is stunning the difference in encoding is amazing also the old was awash with artifacts the new is smooth and stable

old

new

Licence to kill
Again lowrey have done a fantastic job notice the print damage on the second shot now gone, even tho it will be lost in over scan

Grabs from the now worldwide reinstated whipping scene :

EDIT got a grab from one of Dr No's second disc doc's to compare to the new transfer (the old pic os non anamorphic)

old

new

Upon watching the restoration doc lowery say that the visable camera crew gaffe in The man with the golden gun may have been fixed but you must buy it too see !
EDIT the teases they left the camera crew in the shot lol

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
No Bond expert here, but it actually seems fairly common for films to be opened up a little more or slightly cropped when they receive a new transfer. I recall hearing that Dr. No has a new aspect ratio as it appears in the screenshots, but I don't really know the specifics of that.

Of the Goldeneye shots, only that top one looks dramatically different.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Watching Dr No now and there is some slight EE but the transfer is stunning, and the dts is well used and not in the way at all.
Looking at the Goldeneye title in the first picture Lowrey have brought out a drop shadow from the image they say in the documentary that the opticals were there hardest task.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
are these out now. in the US?i thought that these were coming at the end of the year.looks good although i do think the blacks are a little too dark.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
Yhey have reframed Dr No , From Russia With Love and Goldfinger to it's Original Aspect ratio of 1.66. Could the Goldeneye thing be overscan

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Those screencaps in no way do these transfers justice. The blacks are spot-on, the colour is gorgeous. Decades of dirt, scratches, tears, hairs in the gate and apparently conspicuous camera crews have all been removed. The grainy, dirty opticals have also been processed and look amazingly good; I never thought that it was possible to clean up old-school opticals so well. Lowry should work on Star Trek: OS. ;)

A shame that U.S. customers will have to wait. Man, you guys still don't have the Sergio Leone SEs, either. Bummer. :frowning:

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
How does the "uncut" version differ from the previous release?

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Gordon McMurphy this you can see straight away.
They are fantastic transfers and i only hold out from buying them all due to the (hopefully non mpeg2) blu-ray versions

For info on the cuts made to the Movies (from melon farmers .com) :

Goldeneye :

Cut for cinema in 1995 during film editing. The same cuts were required to all 12 rated video versions

The BBFC commented on the cuts to the 2001 release: Company was asked to make seven compulsory cuts to scenes of violence as per the previously released 1996 12-rated version

A head butt was cut at Xenia's "wait your turn" line to Natalya
Three head butts were deleted during the cradle fight between Bond and Trevelyan.
Bond's rabbit punch on Xenia was cut from both US and UK theatrical releases.
The DVD commentary suggests that the following cuts were made at the editing statge:

At the beginning of the film, when 006 is shot, originally one clearly saw the impact to the head.
Towards the end of the film, when Onatop is dragged to her death, originally the dragging and death struggle were a bit longer/more explicit.

licence to kill :

Same cut version for cinema and early Warner Home Video version from 1989
Some blood splashes from the guy in the decompression chamber have been cut
In the scene where Talisa Soto gets whipped by Sanchez (Robert Davi ); we see him pick up the whip and then the film cuts to the outside of the building, the sounds of her screams were edited out
a slight cut to Bond's (Timothy Dalton's) climatic fight with Sanchez.
There may also be cuts to Felix's (David Hedison's) torture

Tomorrow Never Dies :

Same cuts for all Warner & MGM 12 rated video versions

According to the BBFC: Tomorrow Never Dies followed the pattern of the recent Bonds of being slightly too violent for its intended audience. When it opened in the cinema, the Board considered that, on grounds of violence, the film had just scraped through as a 12, yet to our surprise, the British public, for all their reported concern about screen violence, lapped it up, content to treat James Bond as fantasy violence. The producers were alerted to the probability that, if 12 were to remain the target category on video, the film might need further cuts in violence, since the Video Recordings Act laid down the need to assess the likelihood of underage viewing, which in this case was a virtual certainty.

Cut for cinema release and suffered an additional 6s of cuts for video. In addition, there have been further sound pre-cuts throughout the video.

Reduced impact sounds in fight at Carver's (Jonathon Price's) studio party
Bond gets hit by a baseball bat twice instead of four times
Reduced impact sounds in Chakra torture scene
Reduced impact sounds in fight in bike shop
Reduced impact sounds of Wai Lin's (Michelle Yeoh's) kung-fu kicks
Reduced sound of man being scalded by steam
Reduced sound of Carver being hit by an engine and then his death scream
Reduced impact sounds of Bond's (Pierce Brosnan's) climatic fight scene
Cuts to scene where Michelle Yeoh dispatches one of the bad guys by means of a throwing star.
Removed scene of Michelle Yeoh taking throwing star from a hidden compartment in her shoe
Cuts to scene where Bond stamps on a man's face

For other info : http://www.deadkenny.co.uk/bondcuts.htm

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
the last couple of days i have been going to imdb.com and looking at their alt.versions section and some bond titles have change over the years. like golden gun didn't have music towards the end of the movie for some reason. there was some talk of a scene cut from on her magistery secret service on the old dvd. is it on the new dvd.and was it cut on the british dvd?

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
On Her Majesty's Secret Service [1969]

Cut by mistake. Wrong print used by MGM and all regions are missing material. I've confirmed this by comparison to the previous widescreen VHS version. None of the cuts are for censorship reasons and the film itself is passed uncut in it's full length version.

More info on these cuts at The DVD File Cut List

However, they report the following "Finally, after the stock car race, when Tracy says "We didn't even stop for the prize," Bond's line "I told you that crowd would discourage them" has also been cut.", and yet I'm sure that line is present on the UK R2. The other cuts apply though.

Update: IMDB says the following which sounds more accurate... "When Bond speaks the line "I told you the crowd would discourage them" after the stock car race, he was previously shown saying so in close up, now the line is only heard as Bond and Tracy speeds away"

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
"12 rated video version"? "BBFC"? Are you talking about the Region 2 release? Do these cuts affect the domestic version?

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
No the films bar ohmss and licence to kill were uncut on U.S. dvd
EDIT Gordon McMurphy the camera crew they mention in golden gun is left in the new transfer just watched it

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
They left the crew in, did they? The way it is talked about on the restoration featurette on Dr. No makes it seem that it may have been erased. I only bought the first three Bonds and I don't intend to buy more. I might buy The Spy Who Loved Me, as I love the opening sequence!

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I recieved the briefcase this morning, the set looks absolutely stunning, the cover art looks a LOT better with the shiny slip covers, here's a shot of my briefcase:

I've spent all day comparing the new Ultimate Editions to the old Special Editions and I have to say that it's the set is WELL worth the money IMO, especially when you consider:

- The new transfers are stunning, I noticed an improvements to even the newer Bond movies such as Goldeneye.
- The deleted scenes that are now included on a lot of the discs.
- There's a ton of special features including vintage documentaries & new documentaries.
- The very cool briefcase and nice cover art.
- The uncut movies are worth the cost of the set alone IMO!
- I have sampled a number of the DTS tracks and I have to say I'm very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks