Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVD player new technology-vs-older?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 PhilMays

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted July 16 2006 - 12:15 AM

Dumb question I guess....but consider the source Posted Image

I am the proud owner of a Denon 2900 and paid $850 for it when they were first released....I just knew DVD-A and SACD were the ^%$# and music for those formats would be here forever.

Don't get me wrong...I love it and it works great...I have a decent collection that I will enjoy as long as my player holds up.

My real question is about the DVD player side.

Out of the new offerings (not into HD DVD or Blu Ray yet) what DVD player does a better job, or do they all do better.

I know the Denon had great DACS yadda yadda....but...are there cheaper better dvd players out there now....if so I may purchase one and just keep my Denon for music.

Thanks for the help....I have been out of touch for the past 3 years or so.

Phil

#2 of 3 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted July 17 2006 - 03:41 AM

It depends on what your display is capable of. If you have a display that has HDMI and can handle 720p or 1080p, then I might consider a newer upconverting player. I have a 2900 also, and I have no plans to upgrade it in the near future because it is a fine player.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 3 PhilMays

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted July 17 2006 - 10:37 PM

thanks John...

No HDMI and I'm not sure what the RPTV can do honestly.....The more I have read it seems that if a format can be worked out then that would be the way to go, but until then, I think I'll stay where I am....I too feel this is a really great player.

Phil