What's new

Is it bad to leave a DVD on pause for extended period? (1 Viewer)

scottWI

Agent
I sometimes leave DVD's on pause for an extended period while I am doing something else temporarily.

Would that affect a DVD or player if left on for awhile sometimes?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't think the DVD player would be affected, the disc is still spinning. I would be carefull about your screen. It might be possible for a still image to cause some burn in on your screen if you are not carefull.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
On most players you can press STOP once and then come back and press PLAY and it will pick up exactly where stopped. This is probably better than to let the disc spin for a long time. (Pressing STOP STOP will cancel the memory and when PLAY is pressed it will start the feature from the beginning.)

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Some players will have a screen saver option that kicks in after a certain "pause" or "stop" time limit.

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Pretty sure the laser shuts off on pause and only the disc keeps spinning. Agree with above though, better to just hit stop once. On a RPTV burn in is a problem, but it takes several hours before damage to the tubes start. Pausing for a bit shouldn't hurt it.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I usually press stop. Why wear out the motor by keeping the disc spinning for long periods of time?

Doug

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I don’t think it’s going to do the “spindle motor” any good, as they’re not easy to replace! But if you’re confident it will save you a few quid, as I have replaced two “spindle motors” for my Pioneer laserdisc players CLD-1750 and CLD-2950. Haven’t yet had to replace one for the DVD player, but I’m sure that day will come!

But seeing DVD players are so affordable, that’s why I’m running three DVD players, like Jim Lovell, of Apollo 13, said, “we had a back up”!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks