-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Is it bad to leave a DVD on pause for extended period?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   scottWI

• 28 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 02:43 AM

I sometimes leave DVD's on pause for an extended period while I am doing something else temporarily. Would that affect a DVD or player if left on for awhile sometimes?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Test Subject

• 2,117 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted July 15 2006 - 02:53 AM

I don't think the DVD player would be affected, the disc is still spinning. I would be carefull about your screen. It might be possible for a still image to cause some burn in on your screen if you are not carefull.

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

• 7,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 15 2006 - 03:18 AM

On most players you can press STOP once and then come back and press PLAY and it will pick up exactly where stopped. This is probably better than to let the disc spin for a long time. (Pressing STOP STOP will cancel the memory and when PLAY is pressed it will start the feature from the beginning.)

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Steve Berger

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

• 969 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 03:31 AM

Some players will have a screen saver option that kicks in after a certain "pause" or "stop" time limit.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 03:36 AM

Pretty sure the laser shuts off on pause and only the disc keeps spinning. Agree with above though, better to just hit stop once. On a RPTV burn in is a problem, but it takes several hours before damage to the tubes start. Pausing for a bit shouldn't hurt it.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 05:01 AM

I usually press stop. Why wear out the motor by keeping the disc spinning for long periods of time? Doug

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,219 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 15 2006 - 05:03 AM

My player will only pause or remain on a static menu for 15 minutes before shutting itself off.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   andySu

• 2,669 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 05:08 AM

I don’t think it’s going to do the “spindle motor” any good, as they’re not easy to replace! But if you’re confident it will save you a few quid, as I have replaced two “spindle motors” for my Pioneer laserdisc players CLD-1750 and CLD-2950. Haven’t yet had to replace one for the DVD player, but I’m sure that day will come! But seeing DVD players are so affordable, that’s why I’m running three DVD players, like Jim Lovell, of Apollo 13, said, “we had a back up”!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users