What's new

The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr. (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Never heard or knew of this show's existence until I saw it at a store today so
after checking on Amazon and seeing all the positive reviews decided to buy a -ouch!- copy. That ouch refers to the steep price of admission - Warners should really reconsider what they are charging for this set - even though the show is pretty good I cannot see what makes this even more expensive than most of their boxsets such as the upcoming Tough Guys - what gives? Anybody else still buying this regardless?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It's the "cult king" Bruce Campbell in one of his best roles ever!

Plus, it's a Western/Comedy/SCI-FI/Fantasy series!!! How many Western/Comedy/SCI-FI/Fantasy series are you aware of?

BOTTOM LINE: I've had it on order for weeks and consider it one of the biggest DVD releases of the year! (By the way, it doesn't "street" until Tuesday ...)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

8 discs, 28 TV hours of material, great bonus material.

This is exactly the same SRP as La Femme Nikita and B5, but there's more content on this set. It's also the same price as all the HBO sets, and there's WAY more content on this set.

Gord

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I was actually thinking about picking up this set until I check the retail price for this set. WHOA Nelly. And with all due respect ... but $100 for a 27 episode series? Even at the $79.99 price tag at Target, that is way out of my budget range.

When it comes to TV Shows on DVD, my budget is set at $50 for a single set.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Don't forget that these are one hour episodes. And this is a very unique show starring a cult hero. Considering that some Star Trek sets MSRPed for $139.95 when they first came out and provided far less content (the 16 episode first season of Voyager comes to mind) I would say the set is priced appropriately. Please remember that this box contains the entire series. There will be no more sets of Brisco County coming down the pike in the future.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
$40 to $50 is about my max point...

I realize this is a one-time purchase, but that is a lot of dough for this show (and I really enjoyed the show when it first aired)...

BrandonJF

Second Unit

They might be ok since they just got someone to fork over that kind of money on a blind buy. :)

The steep price of admission is what you get when you're a show with what I assume WB is counting on as a "rabid cult following". The kind of people that want the show so bad that they'll pay whatever WB sets the price at. X-Files,Star Trek, Babylon 5 fans had to pony up large sums of money for those shows. I'm guessing they don't expect Brisco to sell a large number of units, but they know the people that are gonna buy it are gonna buy it whether the MSRP is $49.95 or $99.95.

At least I'm giving them a better excuse than HBO. Not that I fault HBO - they apparently sell that stuff at those insane prices for abbreviated seasons and very few extras. Heck, I've shelled out $50 for 8 episodes of Oz FOUR times so far. $200 for 32 episodes. It was like Christmas when they released the 16 episode season for the same price.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
While some of you guys might be correct that it's a one time purchase and that the show runs an hour per episode, in my opinion, just isn't worth it. There was only one DVD set that I purchased for $100, maybe two, and that was Battlestar Galactica, the original series, for $89.99 and Buck Rogers, the television series for $69.99.

While I did enjoy Brisco County Jr, they are not thindisks, probably the digipaks (!!!argh!!!). I'd love the buy the series but not at the current price that it's selling for. Paying $40-45 for sets like Smallville, Gilmore Girls is a pinch but I'll spend it but anything more than that.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I'm planning on a six-month wait for a price drop as well. Love the show, and it's been in my "Top 10" of shows I'd like to get on DVD for a long time now, and the extras look great. But at that price, it's gonna have to wait, either for a price drop, or the next DDD 20% off sale.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I'm just going to hold out and get it when the price drops or if I see it used (where it will be much, much cheaper). It's not like there's a second season riding on how well this sells right away.

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
Same, unfortunately it is arriving at the same time as another aforementioned pricy series (La Femme Nikita Season 4), and I'll take Nikita any day. I do plan to buy this show, but am hoping for and counting on a price drop like the rest of you. I guess the distributors have done their super secret market research and decided it's the way to go, selling it for such a price, oh well!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah if you waiy you might luck out, it's a similar situation for me on the Series Nowhere Man. I liked the show but not enough to pay the retail they were asking but that too was a 9 disk complete series set. I walked into a Gamestop one night and had to rub my eyes, there was the Nowhere man Set sitting used for, get this, $5.99. Grabbed it up and the set was Pristine. Maybe it's too much hoping Lightening will strike twice, but I hope it can.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
Well for me I couldn't wait for a price drop. I have been waiting too long for this show on dvd so I bought my set today and can't wait to have a Brisco marathon.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I was glad to take Best Buy up on their $65.99 price. Since there are 27 episodes, this corresponds to a price of about $54.77 for a typical 22-episode set. BB must expect them to sell well as my store had a ton of them in stock.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
I skipped over the episodes and went straight to the special features and they were amazing, you couldn't ask for more background info on a show. They really put some work into putting this set out on dvd.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I picked it up at Best Buy for $66 without hesitation. This is substantially less than, for instance, Battlestar Galactica Season Two will end up costing me, [that one actually ticks me off]. Certain shows that will not sell in huge volumes and have no value as a promotional tool for a currently airing series are going to cost more. That doesn't stop me from buying them. I'm certainly glad I haven't been holding out for price drops on the early seasons of "Homicide: Life on the Street" for the last three years, cause they have not come.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks