What's new

Twilight Zone to be one of Images first HD DVD/Bd releases (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
don't have the link at the moment, but I've been surprised that no one else has mentioned this yet. I think the news may have come out of the VSDA in Vegas. IIRC, Image has plans to support both formats, likely to start up in 07, and the Rod Serling Twilight Zone sets will be among its first releases.

ever since I heard the series was gettig remastered in HD, i've been expecting it to show up. I've only got the first two seasons so far, so its not like I have a huge investment in it- and would likely upgrade.

in any case, its great news that Image is on board, and hopefully Criterion will follow soon after that (I would love Walkabout or Black Narcicuss as much as any other studio release at this point, I think)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not buying this series for the third time which is why I'm glad these players upconvert.

Crawdaddy

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Wow, this sounds awesome. I was just watching the TZ marathon on Sci-Fi on the 4th of July (like I always do). I always held out on getting these on DVD, and this release adds to a growing list of reasons for me to take the HD plunge.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Speaking of the Twilight Zone Movie....

I expect Warner will have it out in '07 as well. I would
not be surprised if it was also made available on HD-DVD.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

Great news! Thanks!

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeff,

Don't take my post as gospel.

But consider this....

During our last chat with Warner the studio admitted they knew
the demand for The Twilight Zone Movie and that they
had a few more hurdles to go through to get it out -- but were
awfully close.

I could easily see a release next year on both formats.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I also will pass on this. having already paid a good chunk of change for the definitive sets, they are good enough.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Those that have both HD-DVD and BD players can be the test subjects for side by side comparison. A little expensive but the world of those sitting on the fence waiting for a winner needs to know.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
this will be awesome!!!! =). i wonder how many 1/2 hour episodes they can fit per dual layer disc IN HD?

i dunno this for a fact but i'd imagine that since TZ was filmed, they wouldn't keep a videotape-only master. plus, the visual fx wasn't done for TV/low-res just like they did for B5, so, this ought to be a vast improvement over SD-DVD for a TV series.

hopefully, we'll see XF IN HD res, that would totally rock.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

No, I'll never replace my LD's of the show. Why bother? B & W, 4/3, LD's will do. That's the only way I'll "....Serve Man" anytime soon. I'll be buying something new.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
"The Twilight Zone" series on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray would definitely make me take the plunge earlier than I had planned. Actually, once the A/V receivers carry 1.3, as well as the 2nd generation of players, I'll probably go ahead at that point. Right now I'm waiting to see if Blu Ray is going to pull their heads out, but I had only gotten the first season of the Definitive Edition of TZ, so I will gladly go ahead and go HD instead of completing the collection.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Rachael, fully restored shows that look better than they EVER have before would certainly be one reason -- even to upgrade to the Definitive Edition SD-DVDs over your LDs. Unless quality doesn't matter to you.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

They're TV shows and not at all a priority for me to re-collect. Besides, I have the best LD players to reproduce the shows on the rare occasions I actually want to view them. Quality matters but only up to an extent. I would like to upgrade my Twilight Zone movie LD to a modern format. That's where I'd demand some quality.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Considering they were meant to be shown in 4x3 at TV resolutions, isn't showing them in high-def akin to colorization? The sets, costumes, make-up, etc were probably never meant to be seen at high def resolutions. Perhaps a better use of the disc space would be to put an entire season onto a single dual layer HD-DVD disc at 480p resolution?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've been meaning to buy the entire Twilight Zone collection for several years now on DVD. Once I heard about HD versions coming, of course, I figured I'd just wait. However, my guess is the SD DVD collection may drop significantly in price once the HD versions are released and I'm not sure how important it is for me to have these in HD; I'd watch a lot of these in my bedroom (instead of my living room with HD display) where I will not have an HD display for a very, very long time. I'll have to think about it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

ok someone who is more eloquent then i am please respond to that .......

how can you say they were meant to be seen that way.

thats the only way they were able to be seen.
so there was no choice.

you can say this about any video format can't you.

film (movies) should never have been watched in any format because until now there hasnt been a format with high enough resolution for watching at home to equal that of film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks