What's new

SVS PB-12 vs Hsu VTF-3 MK2 (1 Viewer)

steveKlein

Agent
Everyone here recommended the SVS line. I've heard it is a great sub as well, but how does the Hsu line stack up to it?

I'm in the market for either a SVS PB-12 NSD or Hsu VTF-3 MKII sub. Will primarily be using my theater for movies, gaming, and tv... only a little bit of music probably.

I guess I'm trying to convince myself to go with the Hsu. Am I crazy? Should I just stick with the SVS?

For what it's worth, I'll be pairing the sub up to an Ascends Acoustics 5.1 package (340SE's on the front HTM-200s in the back).

What do you guys think?

BrianTwig

Second Unit
I will say this. I am about as low as you can get on the knowledge side of things with audio equipment. But my entire life I have been disappionted in the bass produced by every sub I have heard. Even $2K and $3K beasts I listened too when building my current setup. On the advice of people on this forum and through conversations with Ron Stimpson at SVS I bought the SVS PB12-NSD/2. $998 delivered. Site unseen and never heard. It is without question the greatest sub I have ever heard and the only sub I have ever heard that actually produced MORE bass than I was looking for. Especially at low listening levels.

My personal opinion, as an SVS owner and a real bass nut is go with the SVS.

Free advice, its worth what you paid for it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can't go wrong with either sub. How big is your room (entire area the sub will have to fill)?

I've owned the SVS PB-10 and heard many of their other subs including the PB-12 (the ISD, not NSD). Excellent subs.

I heard the 340SEs with the VTF-3 MkII recently and it is a solid setup. The VTF-3 goes low, still sounds great up top, and if you go for the wood finish, looks great too.

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
The NSD/V, rather than the PB12, and VTF3.2 are pretty equal price and features with the nod to SVS for one more tuning option and a db or 2. I haven't heard the NSD so the nod may go to the Hsu for musicality. John's right you can't go wrong with either. The new PB12 coming next month sounds like a sweet sub for the price, lower tuning, etc.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

Some people tend to say SVS is better for movies and HSU better for music. However, this was before SVS upgrade their drivers to the new NSD driver. The NSD is suppose to address that aspect of performance along with giving a flatter response thoughout its frequency range. I think the choice is obvious given the new NSD driver and use being primarily movies.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I never thought of SVS as not being good with music; in fact I felt they are quite good with it. It's just that HSU has been a tiny bit better in that respect. I haven't heard the NSDs yet, so can't comment there.

steveKlein

Agent
Well, I've tried to get people to say anything negative about either of these subs... and without success... so I'll probably be happy with either a Hsu or SVS.

I'll probably go the SVS route...

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
With subs as good as the HSU and SVS, set up is the most important thing getting them to sound good with music. If you run your subs +5dB 'hot', it may not sound good with music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks