Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Heroes season 1 thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2319 replies to this topic

#1 of 2320 OFFLINE   Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 07:47 AM

I ran a search but couldn't find a thread on this.

I saw the commercials for this on NBC. Pretty interesting. They're showing each "power" in a very down to earth manner. Not your comic book superhero type. Looks like it's going to be sort of like Shymalan's Unbreakable, which I loved.

I've even read some critics calling this show "the next Lost". Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Anyone else looking forward to it?
Andres

#2 of 2320 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,186 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted July 14 2006 - 11:00 AM

This looks VERY interesting.

#3 of 2320 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 03:43 PM

I'm counting the days... Posted Image The website preview is surprisingly deep. So far Hayden Panettierre's character's powers seem the most interesting.

I'm glad NBC is really pushing this show but I'm afraid they may wear out their welcome with the audience by the time September rolls around. They are running ads multiple times per hour. There were 3 alone during this week's episode of Treasure Hunters.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#4 of 2320 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 14 2006 - 05:03 PM

It sort of looks like a simplified version of "The 4400." That said, I've liked Hayden Panettierre in the things I've seen her in and the other characters seem to be interesting.
Hopefully the central myth is epic, something that lives up to a series name like "Heroes."

#5 of 2320 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,933 posts

Posted July 25 2006 - 03:19 AM

NBC has a new show this fall called "Heroes". Its about people who gain superpowers. Here is a summary of it from www.thefutoncritic.com

Quote:
· HEROES (NBC)
· format: drama (hour)
· series premiere (projected) - 9/11/06 at 9:00 PM
· regularly airs: mondays from 9:00 PM-10:00 PM
· description: (from NBC's press release) The epic drama "Heroes" chronicles the lives of ordinary people who discover they possess extraordinary abilities. As a total eclipse casts it shadow across the globe, viewers follow a genetics professor (Sendhil Ramamurthy, "Blind Guy Driving") in India whose father's disappearance leads him to uncover a secret theory -- there are people with super powers living among us. A young dreamer (Milo Ventimiglia, "The Bedford Diaries") tries to convince his politician brother (Adrian Pasdar, "Judging Amy") that he can fly. A high school cheerleader (Hayden Panettiere, "Ice Princess") learns that she is totally indestructible. A Las Vegas stripper (Ali Larter, "Final Destination"), struggling to make ends meet to support her young son (Noah Gray-Cabey, "My Wife & Kids"), uncovers that her mirror image has a secret. A prison inmate (Leonard Roberts, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") mysteriously finds himself waking up outside of his cell. A gifted artist (Santiago Cabrera, "Empire"), whose drug addiction is destroying his life and the relationship with his girlfriend (Tawny Cypress, "Third Watch"), can paint the future. A down-on-his-luck beat cop (Greg Grunberg, "Alias") can hear people's thoughts, including the secrets of a captured terrorist. In Japan, a young man (Masi Oka, "Scrubs") develops a way to stop time through sheer will power. Their ultimate destiny is nothing less than saving the world.

When I first heard about the abilities. I thought of the 4400. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#6 of 2320 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted July 25 2006 - 11:58 AM

Already being discussed here.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#7 of 2320 ONLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted July 26 2006 - 04:38 AM

I thought it was okay, but it didn't quite make me want more of it.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#8 of 2320 OFFLINE   Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted July 26 2006 - 08:41 AM

I've watched the pilot episode. Definitely will be on my must-watch list for sure. I need a good character development show that's not always action-y.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#9 of 2320 OFFLINE   Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted July 26 2006 - 08:49 AM

How did you manage to do that (watch the pilot) Kong?
Andres

#10 of 2320 OFFLINE   Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted July 26 2006 - 08:53 AM

Andres:

Bittorrent

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#11 of 2320 OFFLINE   Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted September 04 2006 - 11:01 AM

Just the opening episode and thought it was quite a good. Could see the ending coming but still a good ep. Will keep watching the next few eps to see how it progresses. BTW you can download this from ITunes today-

Quote:
The free Heroes pilot is available starting today on a special, "hidden" section of iTunes that can be accessed with promotional gift cards now being given away at AMC, Cinemark, and Regal cinemas.

#12 of 2320 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,525 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 02:24 AM

Did this premiere last night? When is it supposed to start?
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#13 of 2320 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 03:45 AM

Premieres Sept 25th.

#14 of 2320 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted September 05 2006 - 03:50 AM

This is one of the few new show I am looing forward to. Unfortunately, the Main networks do not have a good track record of keeping sci-fi/fantasy shows going more than a few weeks, or at most a year.

I am crossing my fingers that this new show succeeds.

I remember I was happy that at the beginning of last season there were a lot of sci-fi type shows coming on. Too bad, none of the survived.

Surface
Invasion
Threshold
Night Stalker

Hopefully this one survives.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#15 of 2320 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 22 2006 - 08:35 PM

I enjoyed the pilot once I finally got iTunes 7 working. Looking forward to episode two.

#16 of 2320 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 07:59 AM

Premise kind of reminds me of the origins of Marvel Comics' New Universe. Hope this series (if good) will last longer than that failed Marvel project.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#17 of 2320 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 10:36 AM

- You cannot break the space time continuum

- Fine. Don't believe me.

- There are 12.5 million people in this city. Not one of them can break the space time continum. Why do you want to be different?

WTF?

While the rest of dialogue isn't quite this bad, it's never really far from this.

Direction and pacing were problematic as well. For example , the painter/junkie should have been introduced much earlier. But the biggest offender is the lacking sense of scope, which is vital to this sort of story. I mean, there is a solar eclypse for crissakes, a device which should underscore the global scope of the story, yet, carries no weight whatsoever.

Shows like this make me realize that something like Smallville, for all it's script-level failings, is a damn fine show from a technical point of view.

A dissapointment. But eh.. some of the character connections and the cliffhanger were mildly intriguing. I will give it a few more eps, hoping to soon see some MAJOR improvements.

--
H

#18 of 2320 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 23 2006 - 11:57 AM

Does anyone else think it will suck if it turns out (PILOT SPOILER)
that Peter's brother can fly and Peter can't? I mean, Peter's been his brother's lapdog his whole life while his brother has been living the high life. If either of them deserve to be able to fly, it's definitely Peter. He wanted it.

#19 of 2320 OFFLINE   Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted September 24 2006 - 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Martinez
Premise kind of reminds me of the origins of Marvel Comics' New Universe. Hope this series (if good) will last longer than that failed Marvel project.

Ah yes, The White Event! I actually liked D.P.7. and Psi Force. I thought that too Heroes is the New Universe! Oh No! Kicker's Inc can't be far behind!
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#20 of 2320 ONLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,885 posts

Posted September 24 2006 - 11:10 AM

I thought it was weird that the clock the Japanese guy was staring at in his cubicle had Chinese numbers on it.

BTW, the reason the pacing feels off is because it's really a 2-hour premiere, but you've only seen the 1st hour of it, thus the introduction of some of the characters late in the first hour feels off.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

Forum Nav Content I Follow