Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where is our freakin' flying car? :)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 02:38 AM

I was reading a story on AOL News about our degrading interstate. How most bridges and tunnels where only designed for a life span of 50 years, and that is now approaching fast.

I know the Driscoll bridge was finally just replaced, and that really needed it as it's a key transport to Southern NJ.

But, when all is said and done, is ANYONE working on the flying car? We don't have to get high off the ground. Maybe 100 meters over the houses of residents, depending on how quiet the propulsion system is. Traffic routes can follow existing highways and roads, and not go beyond that so no one gets lost...

Per a drunken flying car driver, an un turn offable saftey measure could kick in, so residents need not worry. Say a pre-programed route is put into place. If the driver suddenly turns the stick down and plummets to the ground, the computer system instantly takes over, and puts them back on track...

So, has anyone seriously begun working on a flying car, like the have the car boat?

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,027 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 14 2006 - 02:52 AM

Hell, with the kind of gas mileage we are getting on the current clunkers, I'm busy thinking about going back to a scooter/vespa type thing for most appointments rather then looking forward to an uber-gas guzzler like a flying vehicle Posted Image Besides, bad enough drivers on the road now; give them 360 degrees of manuverability and I see lots of disasters. Forget about being rear ended, wait until someone would dive right into you from above. Posted Image

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 03:26 AM

Yeah, I somehow doubt that a population that is increasingly worried about global warming and the price of gas is going to embrace the personal airplane to travel 5 mins to work Posted Image I'd love to try one out though...

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 04:05 AM

Actually, another division of my employer is working on just such a thing. We should actually start receiving prototype kits sometime in the fall...
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 04:44 AM

Are you nuts?! People can't be trusted to not drive their road-car into the side of the occassional house. What are people going to do when 16/72 year olds start taking-out the 25th floor of skyscrapers?
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hoover
Actually, another division of my employer is working on just such a thing. We should actually start receiving prototype kits sometime in the fall...

Heh, deadly serious, or are you cracking up laughing as you write this post? Posted Image

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil V
Heh, deadly serious, or are you cracking up laughing as you write this post? Posted Image

I'm serious...I can't reveal any real specifics yet, but the vehicles will be sold in kit form. The company is called Roadable Aircraft, Inc. and is a division of Mundus Holdings. The website is ready, but can't go live yet. However, I'm staring at an employee link for the site on my other computer right now...
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 06:19 AM

Does everyone here think that if flying cars were REAL that EVERYBODY would drive one?

I really think there would be a pilots license or some other form of training involved. Plus I doubt these would be easy to take up and off for someone who doesn't know how to fly.

Just my feeling. I'd love to have a flying car. Ive been taking flying lessons since I was in 3rd grade so I think I'll be alright. Don't need to worry about me abusing the flying car.

Lol!
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 06:23 AM

Forget flying cars. The future transportation will be in teleportation.

- Colton

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton

- Colton

Nah... I'm like Doctor McCoy. I don't like the idea of one mis placed molecule, and boom, no nose Posted Image. Or worse, nose being exchanged with a certain body part below the belt Posted Image. Maybe we need Transdimentional Portal Technology instead Posted Image

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hoover
I'm serious...I can't reveal any real specifics yet, but the vehicles will be sold in kit form. The company is called Roadable Aircraft, Inc. and is a division of Mundus Holdings. The website is ready, but can't go live yet. However, I'm staring at an employee link for the site on my other computer right now...

Hmm, I wonder if it would be any cheaper in kit form than actual assembly form. Then again, I'm reminded that someone famous went down in a plane they built themselves...

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton

- Colton

Nope, the government did a study, it's impossible.Posted Image

***** Can open, worms everywhere!*****

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 07:04 AM

Flying cars will never be a reality, they have no practical application. However, Hover Cars will most certainly be the future. A well designed hovercraft would fix all of the issues addressed so far.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 07:55 AM

The future will be waterslides. Everywhere.

- Colton

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 08:32 AM

Quote:
The future will be waterslides. Everywhere.

Only in a post-silica world would this be possible.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted July 14 2006 - 02:25 PM

"Now boarding, Slipe-N-Slide for Los Angeles. Please have your boarding pass and swim-trunks ready at the gate".
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,519 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 03:55 AM

I was reading where the Moller flying car has managed to acheive 15 foot tethered flights after 40 YEARS of development. Posted Image

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   GordonL

GordonL

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 06:51 AM

Moller is taking deposits for delivery in 2009, assuming it can get FAA certified. Moller

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 04:54 PM

Saw a photo of a water slide in my neighborhood dated 1896.Pretty cool but where are we going to keep the horses to get to the top?
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted July 17 2006 - 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
I was reading where the Moller flying car has managed to acheive 15 foot tethered flights after 40 YEARS of development. Posted Image

Moller has been raising capital from "investors" for 40 years. He is very good at that. I have been reading about him for years and have never seen anything that remotely represents a real product. I think he is a crook. But, that is just my opinion. I don't know anybody else who can claim to be in product development for 40 years and not actually produce anything.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow