Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Real storage comparison

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 03:13 AM

In spite of the claims of BD having the advantage of storage capacity over HD-DVD, we know that, at the present time, HD-DVD is actually the better of the two, since, from what I've been hearing, Sony has, so far, been unable to produce dual layer discs (BD-50) with enough reliability to be feasible. In the new marketing campaign, "The Look and Feel of Perfect," Toshiba says that the "tested capacity" of HD-DVD is 45 g (three layers) with a "theorectical" capacity of 60 g (four layers). Since we know that there are no plans to ever produce BD video discs with more than two layers (50 g), it would seem that if Toshiba is able to reliably produce a three layer disc that any real advantage of one over the other, storage capacity wise, becomes pretty moot. Should Toshiba begin making 45 g discs, I'd say that since HD-DVD players will also play CDs (and very well, at that), whereas BD players will not, that HD-DVD could then argueably be considered the better of the two formats -- at least as far as video disc players are concerned.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,899 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 13 2006 - 03:24 AM

Chris, I'm not so sure of that. First off, I read about the three layers on that site too and posted the site on the forum this morning, but no information has really been confirmed that shows it as being viable. It has been reported that it wasn't included in the HD DVD specs. So I don't really know what's going to happen with it? As far as the 50 GB for Blu-ray, we'll know more about those dual-layered discs this Fall when the real rollout is in full swing. I think we'll see those discs before the Holidays. Now, my Samsung Blu-ray player can play CDs. It was reported that the Sony couldn't, but who knows now that it's been delay until late October. There are rumors now that the player might not come out until November. If it's delayed that long, I wouldn't be surprise to see that player able to play CDs. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 03:33 AM

Wow, that's the first I've heard that. I didn't think to give CDs a try before returning mine. I'm glad to hear it, though.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 04:27 AM

Actually, at CES, TDK showcased Quad-Layer 100GB BD Disks:
http://www.audioholi....luraydiscs.php

So storage wise, Blu-Ray still may have an advantage in the future.. Posted Image

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 05:11 AM

Just for data discs, though, not video (which is why I stressed the word "video" in my post). There are NO plans to use more than two layers for Blu-Ray video.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,899 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 13 2006 - 05:14 AM

Where are the plans to use more than two layers on HD DVD? At this time, there's too much crap being spread around about both formats so it's hard to determine what's reality versus some marketing BS.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 06:58 AM

Robert, I certainly never said there were any such plans, and didn't mean to even suggest that there might be. I do know that BD will be limited to 2 layers for video, and it wasn't until that I went on the "Look and Sound of Perfect" website that I learned that triple and quadruple layers were even possible with HD-DVD. Actually, for video, I find it difficult to imagine that we'd ever need more than 30 g, anyway, unless we had a huge number of supplements, all in high def. My post was speculation, nothing more (I thought that was clear) and I apologize for putting it up to begin with.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,594 posts
  • LocationWhittier, California

Posted July 13 2006 - 03:11 PM

For some reason I seriously doubt that HD-DVD will ever use 3 layers. And I am not convinced yet that they can do it. Just as I doubt that Blu-ray will use more than dual layer ether. I think that Toshiba is desprately trying to make the storage issue go away.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (257 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 05:38 AM

I would love to get into HD but find the whole 'Format War' thing an unneccessary mess so I'm curious as to what player-owners response would be to some of the points raised in this article ? Although it appears pro-HD-DvD its tone is quite relaxed :

http://www.projector...m/blu-ray_2.htm

~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,780 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 01:02 PM

Of the two camps, I don't think it's Toshiba that needs to be "desperate" right now. Vincent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users