#1 of 212 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,953 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 10:01 AM

After procrastinating for moths, I finally received Firefly
this afternoon.

I wanted to watch this series because I just bought a HD-DVD
player and I understand Serenity is an absolute must-see!

I figured my overall appreciation of Serenity would be
that much higher if I watched the series the film spawned from.

It will take me a while to watch FIREFLY as I have a new TV
coming in a week. Fortunately, with only 13 one-hour episodes
I'll be able to cram it all in before next week, or get to it soon
after I get my new set hooked up.

Anyhow, you guys on this forum did manage to twist my arm
on this show some time back so I wanted to let you know I am
about to dive into it.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 212 OFFLINE   Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 10:03 AM

You're in for a good time, Ron.

#3 of 212 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Test Subject

• 2,032 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted July 12 2006 - 10:14 AM

Ron, make sure you give it a few episodes before forming your opinion. It takes a couple of episodes to really understand the "firefly universe". You will definitely like Serenity more if you watch the series first. Good Call.

I envy you getting to watch it all for the first time. I bet you'll love it.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#4 of 212 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 10:14 AM

I also finally gave in and picked it up at the last DDD sale.

It's unfortunate we'll never see the series in HD as the FX have only been done in SD. Oh well...

#5 of 212 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,901 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 12 2006 - 10:39 AM

Its a good series. I actually didn't fully warm to it until the latter half.

#6 of 212 OFFLINE   RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 10:48 AM

I picked it up cheap a few weeks ago and just finished it. Even though I watched it when it was originally on watching it IN ORDER (unlike the original air date) adds alot to it.

#7 of 212 OFFLINE   MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 12:51 PM

I just finished it for the first time a few weeks back. Like others, I didn't warm up to it at first. It was enjoyable, but nothing special. After finishing the whole series and watching the movie, I can't wait to watch it for a second time.

Or you could be like my wife. She was hooked from the first episode.

Either way, I look forward to hearing your reactions to the show.

#8 of 212 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,329 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 01:07 PM

I absolutely loved it. Total f...in' shame this show wasn't allowed to develop.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#9 of 212 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 12 2006 - 01:29 PM

Great show. Bought the series blind when it came out. Wish the show had lived.

Ron...how about Farscape after you finish Firefly?

#10 of 212 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 01:53 PM

Ha! Ron I was actually thinking 'bout you last night when I put Serenity (HD) in for a few chapters last night. Watching the first twenty minutes or so, I had forgotten how unobtrusively Whedon establishes everything for a viewer with no reference to the series- I was almost going to go back into one of the HD threads and tell you to pick it up after all- otherwise I didn't think you'd get around to the series for a while, and that would be a shame as then you'd be postponing experiencing one of the greatest HD DVDs out there.
I don't know if its so much that the a/v is so steller (tho it is) or more the fact that all that a/v goodness is in the service of presenting such a witty, literate, and vivacious romp for a change and not just some vapid, money shot Hero posing, fireball outrunning, nonsense .

Echoing what others have experienced, it took me a while to click with the particular bio rhythm of that show, and even at the end, despite some absolutely killer single eps, I can't say I was a foaming-at-the-mouth rabid fan of it. But the more times I dip into the film on HD (which can't be helped at this point since my collection of HD DVDs totals all of 5 movies), the more I'm looking forward to revisiting the series.

I still have a few gripes with it, but its always at least an entertaining time waster.
enjoy!

#11 of 212 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 02:21 PM

I loved it from the first episode on. By the last episode, I was in love with it (and heartbroken).
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#12 of 212 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted July 12 2006 - 02:34 PM

Count me in as one of those who took a few episodes to really warm up to this series....by the end of the set I was absolutely hooked (and pissed off at the execs at FOX for cancelling it before it could find it's audience). This show should have lasted a good five years easy. Unfortunately, we are stuck with half a season and one excellent film.....what could have been. Posted Image
Recently watched- Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 5, I Am Legend, Krull, The Beast Within, Subspecies, Lost: Season 4, District 9, Lost: Season 3, The Warrior's Way, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979), Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Lost: Season 6, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati, Season 1

"I can help! I can save you! I can save everybody!"

#13 of 212 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 12:55 AM

I watched it for the first time on DVD (never saw it on TV), and watched in DVD order. My kids and I loved the 1st episode, but thought the 2nd was weak. I silently went uh-oh - rapid drop off ... But the rest were great.

The worst part - especially from the kids - is being sad it ended after one season. (I really would have liked them to delve into the Ron Glass charater; which I'm sure they would have if given time.)

Forgot what I meant to post in the first place - I also bought this as a blind buy based on the forum comments. Thanks Firefly devotees!

#14 of 212 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 758 posts
  • LocationDC area

Posted July 13 2006 - 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
After procrastinating for moths, I finally received Firefly this afternoon.

Careful, Ron.
You've let moths in with your Firefly.

Posted Image

#15 of 212 OFFLINE   Matthias Wolf

Matthias Wolf

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHarrison
I just finished it for the first time a few weeks back. Like others, I didn't warm up to it at first. It was enjoyable, but nothing special. After finishing the whole series and watching the movie, I can't wait to watch it for a second time.
As the opening credits of the very first episode rolled I was already won over. Remember, the big noisy battle scene followed by total silence as our BDHs float in space and blow up a cargo door. That *was* something special.

I blind-bought the Firefly DVDs some years ago, but I pondered a while before doing so. I loved the early seasons of Buffy and I liked the later (and the Angel series), so that was on the pro side. But I had yet to see a space opera/scifi series that didn't left me cold. The various Star Trek incarnations? Pleeease. Babylon 5, Farscape? They had their merits, but still not my cup of tea. Well, this one also is a western! Unfortunately, I'm not much into westerns (that was before Deadwood). Boy, was I in for a surprise.

Quote:
Or you could be like my wife. She was hooked from the first episode..
It's a shame that all the really cool women are already married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson
I watched it for the first time on DVD (never saw it on TV), and watched in DVD order. My kids and I loved the 1st episode, but thought the 2nd was weak.
The second episode on the DVDs (Train Job) is actually the replacement pilot the Fox execs demanded after seeing the real pilot (Serenity). Fox wanted more action and fun, so Whedon and Minear sat down on a weekend and wrote a new pilot.

#16 of 212 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 08:58 AM

Enjoy, Ron!

It took me a couple of episodes to really get into it. My favorite: "Our Mrs. Reynolds".

Definitely wise to watch the series before the film.

-Scott

#17 of 212 OFFLINE   Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 09:09 AM

Congratulations! You are in for a good time.

My sister is a card-carrying Whedon fan but I could never get into the WB looking Buffy or Angel. When Serenity was released, I asked her if she had Firefly. We borrowed it and watched the whole series in a week. That weelend, we all saw Serenity on the big screen.

Thatw as a good week.
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#18 of 212 OFFLINE   Derek K.

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 09:20 AM

Hey Ron

Whats your Ebay ID? I'll check to see when you put it up for sale.

I did enjoy Ron Glass on 'Barney Miller', though.

#19 of 212 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 10:10 AM

Finally, a Firefly / Serenity thread that doesn't bring up the ratings/box office crap, as if that makes any difference now...It's refreshing.

I ended up buying the boxed set twice - I had to sell the first one due to financial needs, and picked it up again just prior to the film's release. Both times I ended up paying the original $50+ price tag, which would have been only $20+ if I knew to wait a few days.

It was still worth it, though.

#20 of 212 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 07:03 PM

I have two boxed sets of the Firefly TV series. HEH!!! And there are actually 15 episodes, 16 episodes if you couont the douoble length pilot episode. Remember, the set has three unaired episodes on it.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow