What's new

Reservoir Dogs 15th Anniversary Edition from Lionsgate on 10/24 (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Thedigitalbits.com is reporting that Lionsgate will release a 15th Anniversary Edition of "Reservoir Dogs" on October 24th. This is a welcome triple-dip because the first release's the non-anamorphic transfer was fine for it's day but it's horribly outdated now and the 10th Anniversary transfer was anamorphic but it was misframed/washed out and missing dialogue.

If they can actually correct the errors of the last releases and give this iconic film it's first proper presentation on DVD then I'm all for the triple-dip. I'll be first in line to buy it.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
I bet they'll use the same transfer from the second release. Lions Gate is still using those awful video transfers for Paul Verhoeven movies, I don't see them changing.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
No way. Everything needs to be re - remastered on this release. The 10th anniversary anamorphic transfer is a joke and the missing dialog insulting to the fans. It's got pretty good extra features, though. I'll give it that. What I do find a bit frustrating, though, is that Quentin Tarantino pulled no strings to get the 10th AE fixed.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I'm all for a new transfer, I just think the soundtrack was a bigger issue. There's actually some debate as to the accuracy of the 10th Anniversary transfer whereas the missing dialogue is a proven flaw.

The dialogue issue definitely needs to be fixed and most people (myself included) think the transfer needs to be fixed. Fix them both and this will be a valid release.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Btw - what dialog is missing? I have only seen this movie from the 2nd dvd release. I dont know what would be missing...

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
QT didn't supervise the transfer. He was interviewed for the DVD but otherwise uninvolved because he was busy doing pre-production on "Kill Bill".

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wasn't there a problem with the last big DVD release of
Reservoir Dogs in that the transfer was misframed?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Well, the framing was different than the original DVD release, though I don't think anyone ever offered any significant proof as to which one was actually correct.

The only major tell-tale sign of the 10th Anniversary Edition being misframed is that the top of the brick wall can be seen during the famous opening sequence. The brick wall extends above the top of the frame on the original DVD release, which looks a lot better than seeing over it on the 10th anniversary edition, but there's nothing like on the "Back to the Future" sequel DVD's where either version is framed to the point of excluding important visuals.

I personally think the original release is properly framed and that the 10th anniversary disc shows too much but the difference is pretty insignificant, the degree of different framing isn't unusual when you're dealing with two different transfers of the same film, where a slight degree of difference isn't uncommon.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
If the errors are corrected I'll rebuy.

The "tribute to Lawrence Tierny" on the 10th anniversary edition is still one of my favorite featurettes. :)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
“You going to bark all day little doggy, or you going to bite!”

Wow I think this is a cool film, I still own the PAL Pioneer laserdisc version, my favourite side is side 2 where the cop get the crap kicked out of him, but I do like side 1, towards the end, where Mr Blonde shows Mr Pink and Mr White the rat!

I sure hope the Dolby mix on this has a lot low end punch, Steven H Flick really likes cops getting the hell beaten out of them!

“I like to torture cops, regardless”

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
Concerning the framing issues of the 10th Anniversary edition:

When I saw this movie in theatres in the fall of 1992 I had just begun getting into laserdiscs and was instantly very pro-OAR. As I watched the movie I wondered how closely the framing on the theatrical screen would compare to the subsequent letterboxed laserdisc. There is a static shot at about 1:08:30 where Mr. Orange is rehearsing dialogue. The scene lasts for a while with no camera movement and it gave me time to memorize the placement of everything in the frame. As soon as I got home I drew a crude storyboard of the shot and stuck it away. A few months later when the Live laserdisc was released (I've never seen the Live dvd but I'm guessing it was framed the same way) I compared the storyboard I had drawn with the framing on the laserdisc. It didn't match. At the bottom right corner of the storyboard were three oranges (or maybe lemons) and a cup sitting on a fan. You could not tell there even was a fan on the laserdisc version. Also, at the top of the storyboard I had indicated there was a lot more of the blue wall visible above the window than just the thin strip seen on the laserdisc. It also appeared slightly cropped at the sides of the frame. I thought perhaps the movie had just been misframed in the theatre, but when I got the 10th Anniversay edition it suddenly matched the storyboard I had drawn a decade earlier. As for the transfer itself--it's bad, the missing dialogue is inexcusable, but the framing matches the theatrical presentation I saw in 1992.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
According to Davisdvd it will have "limited edition gas can packaging".
A new line of merchandising including a video game.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

For what it's worth, it could have been projected incorrectly at your local theater. I'm not saying that's the likely scenario, it's just a possibility.

In any case, we'd probably have nothing to worry about if they actually got Quentin Tarantino and/or cinematographer Andrzej Sekula involved in a new transfer.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
How can an anamorphic print be misprojected? Unlike a matted 1.85, everything that's shown on screen 2.35 is what's on the print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks