Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

June Allyson passed away!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,863 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 10 2006 - 11:50 AM

Another classic film actress has passed away. A good actress that appeared in several films from musicals to melodrama. May she R.I.P.

http://www.cnn.com/2.....ap/index.html

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,507 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 10 2006 - 11:52 AM

Just read this. A terrible shame. A great career. RIP June.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 04:06 PM

Just paying my respects.

She will be missed.

ry

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 04:15 PM

RIP, ma'am. Thanks for a lifetime of great memories.
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,866 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 10 2006 - 06:26 PM

She was wonderful in her three pairings with Jimmy Stewart. They were good friends in their private lives, and it really showed in their onscreen chemistry and in the ease with which they worked together.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Josh.C

Josh.C

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 06:57 PM

The Glenn Miller Story, and the Stratton Story, two that I loved growing up.

What a wonderful woman.

JC

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 08:58 PM

The Stratton Story is one of my top 5 favorite sports movies and June was one of the reasons why. She was always the perky girl next door.
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted July 11 2006 - 12:12 AM

RIP

June was always one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to seeing "The Stratton Story" again on DVD shortly. It's a shame that more of her titles are not available on DVD. Bring on "Strategic Air Command" & "Executive Suite".

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,987 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 11 2006 - 05:53 AM

I'm not much of a fan, but it's always a shame to see the one of the old guard pass away, and no one can deny her accomplishments. Respects.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted July 11 2006 - 12:37 PM

What I find ironic is that Ms. Allyson was always cast as the "perfect wife/mother" character, as though she were a sweet, submissive thing. Watch her performance in The Glenn Miller Story, as Helen, especially when Glenn is pretty well running roughshod over her disinterest. She was a fun, feisty little lady who put a lot of heart into her roles. She'll definitely be missed. I also find it sad that so many people will only remember her as the Depends spokesperson.
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted July 15 2006 - 06:06 AM

TCM - Sunday (7/16) - 6 AM thru 6 PM (Eastern):

16 Sunday
6:00 AMSecret Heart, The (1946)
A recent widow tries to help her emotionally disturbed stepdaughter. Cast: Claudette Colbert, June Allyson, Walter Pidgeon. Dir: Robert Z. Leonard. BW-97 mins, TV-PG, CC
7:45 AMReformer And The Redhead, The (1950)
A small-town politician falls for an idealistic zookeeper. Cast: Dick Powell, June Allyson, Cecil Kellaway. Dir: Norman Panama, Melvin Frank. BW-90 mins, TV-G, CC
9:30 AMBest Foot Forward (1943)
A movie star wreaks havoc when she accepts an invitation to a military academy dance. Cast: Lucille Ball, June Allyson, Gloria DeHaven. Dir: Edward Buzzell. C-94 mins, TV-G, CC
11:15 AMPrivate Screenings: June Allyson (1998)
TCM host Robert Osborne interviews June Allyson on her career as MGM's resident girl next door. C-46 mins, TV-G, CC
12:15 PMToo Young To Kiss (1951)
A grown woman poses as a child prodigy to advance her career as a concert pianist. Cast: June Allyson, Van Johnson, Gig Young. Dir: Robert Z. Leonard. BW-91 mins, TV-G, CC
2:00 PMLittle Women (1949)
The four daughters of a New England family fight for happiness during and after the Civil War. Cast: June Allyson, Elizabeth Taylor, Peter Lawford. Dir: Mervyn LeRoy. C-121 mins, TV-G, CC, DVS
4:15 PMGood News (1947)
A football hero falls in love with his French tutor. Cast: June Allyson, Peter Lawford, Joan McCracken. Dir: Charles Walters. C-93 mins, TV-G, CC

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,287 posts

Posted July 16 2006 - 02:15 AM

Quote:
She was wonderful in her three pairings with Jimmy Stewart. They were good friends in their private lives, and it really showed in their onscreen chemistry and in the ease with which they worked together

Both of them had off screen personalities that were just as wonderful. I read in one of her obits that a poll was taken some time back of the "nicest" people in Hollywood.

June was #1.

RIP.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy