Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paramount is now officially on board!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#1 of 72 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 05:42 AM

http://www.dvdreview.com/news/

Quote:
Paramount goes HD

Paramount Home Entertainment has finally taken the plunge into high definition with ten HD-DVD titles coming in the next few months.
On July 25th, Sahara, Tomb Raider, Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow and Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow will arrive. August 1st will include Four Brothers, We Were Soldiers and The Manchurian Candidate. Then on August 8th, expect U2: Rattle and Hum, Aeon Flux and The Italian Job.
An odd cross-mix of titles, but Paramount is welcome to the fold.

FINALLY, he had all known of Paramounts plans, but never had firm release information for anything, and with the initial delays of HD DVD, it seemed pretty shaky. It is great to get a 3rd studio, hopefully others are soon to follow.
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#2 of 72 OFFLINE   Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 05:53 AM

You know, I still remember logging into the Steve Tannehill's DVD Resource Page back in the fall of 1998 and seeing that Paramount (and later Fox) were joining the DVD party (at last).

Glad they didn't wait so long this time.

#3 of 72 OFFLINE   Harminder

Harminder

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 05:57 AM

YES! Welcome Paramount, you won't be sorry by going HD-DVD.

We Were Soldiers and The Italian Job will be my first buys. We Were Soldiers in Dolby Digital Plus... I can only imagine what that will sound like.

EDIT:

HOWEVER,
Quote:
Interestingly, it appears as if Paramount is taking the same appoach to these early HD-DVD titles they took to DVD initially, which means all releases will be entirely devoid of bonus materials.
Looks like they will be the only HD-DVD supported studio without extras. Not a smart move.

#4 of 72 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 06:03 AM

Yeah, I also remember those tense days of early DVD, and among the first Paramount releases was First Contact.

I think it is inevitable for other studios to not go to HD DVD. Why would they want to cut off segment of market revenue?
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!

#5 of 72 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,778 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 06:10 AM

Finally! Especially looking forward to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how this translates to HD given the visual style of the film.

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#6 of 72 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,528 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 10 2006 - 06:15 AM

I still have the DVD keep case that contained the Paramount DVD announcement press release. I wonder if they have done the same for HD DVD, using the new funky little red cases?

I can see about half of these releases ending up in my collection, and at least a couple going onto my Netflix queue. I suspect Sky Captain and Sleepy Hollow will be supreme eye candy.

- Steve

#7 of 72 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,778 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 06:43 AM

Forgot to mention, bet Ron-P is psyched for Sleepy Hollow on HD DVD. Posted Image

Yeah Steve, I bet both of those titles are going to look great.

- Walter.

#8 of 72 OFFLINE   Paul Borges

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 06:48 AM

Great! I thought Paramount had died.

#9 of 72 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,568 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 07:10 AM

SO freakin cool!

Tomb Raider, Sky Captain, Sleepy Hollow, For Bros, Man. Candiate and Italian Job are all mine!!

all-banner.jpg

#10 of 72 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 07:41 AM

Welcome Paramount, this is Great!

Quote:
Forgot to mention, bet Ron-P is psyched for Sleepy Hollow on HD DVD.
lol Walter, you got that right.

The Italian Job, can't wait to see those MINIs in HD.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#11 of 72 OFFLINE   Harminder

Harminder

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 07:41 AM

From our friends at The Digital Bits:

From the studio's official statement: "Paramount Home Entertainment plans to support the HD DVD format with a strong slate of titles throughout the year and beyond."

Each of these titles will carry an SRP of $29.95, will feature video on 1080p and audio options to include Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

Awesome. But like I said before, it would have been nice if these HD-DVD's weren't going to be barebones with no extras. But DD+ and DTS whoo!

#12 of 72 OFFLINE   PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 08:06 AM

I guess I will be busy with Paramount in July after all!
ISO "Lost" ARG prints from Kevin Tong, Olly Moss, Eric Tan and Methane Studios.  PM me if you want to sell!

All reviews done on a Marantz VP11S1 1080p DLP projector.

Displays professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV.

#13 of 72 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 08:43 AM

SLEEPY HOLLOWWWW!!!!!!
Should look phenomenal!

#14 of 72 OFFLINE   Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 08:49 AM

well...with this slate of kick ass titles, I feel my resolve to wait for the next gen players weakening. However, my resolve to stay away from BD grows. Clearly, BD falls further and further behind here....as an aside, the FS in my city of 60,000 has yet to sell a single BD disk or player, after one month of a very prominent display and print ads.

Damn...i hate this dilemna...I know if i nuy the current toshiba, I am buying a player that is already obsolete and cannot deliver either the HD audio or 1080p....what's an early adopter with a big ass home theater room full fo toys to do!!!
Peter

My Collection

#15 of 72 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 08:51 AM

Quote:
what's an early adopter with a big ass home theater room full fo toys to do!!!
Buy one and don't look back, just sit back and enjoy the glorious image. Besides do you think the difference between 1080i and 1080p is going to be anything buy minimal, at best?
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#16 of 72 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,778 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
what's an early adopter with a big ass home theater room full fo toys to do!!!

Adopt. Posted Image

- Walter.

#17 of 72 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 09:19 AM

They are also supposed to release the same stuff for Blu-ray (like "Sahara", "Aeon Flux" and others). Probably the reason for the delay and lack of extras maybe that they are making the same disc twice, one in each format. VC-1, DD+ & DTS...all easily ported...and fits on a single BD25 with VC-1 (or an HD DVD 30).

#18 of 72 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
then pulled them for some unknown reason.

This is why we are surpised. They pulled it, that was it, and created worry that support for HD DVD may be wavering. Official confirmation is just stirring things back up.

#19 of 72 OFFLINE   Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 10:30 AM

sheesh! ALL the titles I want to buy. Now all I need to do is wait for non-Toshiba HD DVD player to emerge (not Samsung either)

#20 of 72 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,778 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 10:41 AM

Quote:
I don't know why everyone's surprised.

It's not so much that I am surprised; anyone who has followed HD DVD was aware of the orignal Paramount launch titles. It is news that other HD DVD titles have street dates and some of us are happy to see other titles. For me, particularly Sky Captain.

- Walter.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow