Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Denon DVD-955S -- Opinions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 328 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted July 09 2006 - 04:59 PM

I was thinking of buying a Denon DVD-955s, but first I was hoping to hear from someone who may already have experience with this particular model.

I am looking for a player that handles both SACD and DVD-A (with bass management), and also has HDMI upconversion.

From what I see, this is a newer model that appears to be similar to the older Denon DVD-2910. Are there any significant differences between these two models?

I actually went to purchase one today from a local retailer and was surprised to find that they no longer had it in stock and weren't planning on getting any more. They offered me a discount on the floor model, but when they couldn't find the manual and original paperwork, I walked away. Can anyone think of a good reason this would no longer be stocked? Are SACD/DVD-A players being phased out, due to lack of substantial interest in the formats?

Finally, if anyone has any other suggestions for players with similar features in that price range ($600-700), I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Mark