What's new

The Odd Couple Season One? Time-Life Exclusive? (1 Viewer)

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I checked amazon and nothing there yet.
But what the difference where we get it as long as we do?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
This is my most wanted DVD title, and I'll get it however I can... but I really hope this "exclusive" news is not a reality. It's not going to sell as many copies nor help future seasons to get released to have it so limited and obscure.

Whatever the case, this appears to be a very nice set with a good amount of extras.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Time Life releases that happen on the site before they hit retail, are they going to do a complete Rocky & Bullwinkle Season 4 release a couple of months early like they did last year on the site?

Paul

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Part of the deal with T-L and Get Smart was that all 5 seasons would be released. My speculation is that this is the same deal especially since Paul Brownstein is involved with both releases. I agree with you that going the Time Life route would seem to hinder the salability of these sets as they would be targeted at the die hard fans.

On the Get Smart yahoo group, it was posted that the "It (Get Smart) won't be out in retail for another couple years." Who knows if that's the case with Odd Couple?

I'm a fairly big fan of GS so I can see me forking over $40 for season sets of that show (although I'd have to think long and hard about that). With Odd Couple, although I enjoy it, the price would have to be right for me to buy it. $40 is not a right price for a casual fan of a show.

Steve

Pavan_P

Second Unit
They had What's Happening!! Season 1 back in July or Aug 2003. It sold pretty well that Sony decided to release it themselves. They started to release it in Feb. 2004.
So, maybe Odd Couple S1 will follow at Paramount soon.

Other weird things I noticed, Time Life is selling Wayans Bros. S1 and Murder She Wrote S1 and S2...both shows have already been released by Warner and Universal, so strange...

ThorstenB

Auditioning
Real Name
Thorsten
So that means people outside America can't join the fun, because TimeLife is NOT selling international!!! thx a lot TL...

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
It says one of the extras on this set will be a "gag reel". I wonder if this is the same "gag reel" that came with Jack Klugman's book "Tony and Me"? That was only about 5 minutes long. I sure hope they have a gag reel for every season of the show that's released. I wonder if these discs will be available for rent through Netflix or Blockbusters. I really wish they'd release this set to stores at a lower price rather than the Time-Life exclusive

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well if it was at retail it would mean a $39.95 MSRP I could buy on line for $27.99, this just means I have to Pony up the extra ten clams, but Odd Couple is worth it. Not disparaging Perry Mason, but I cannot see how it can go to Retail ( I have it on order) and The Odd Couple goes this route?

RobinO

Stunt Coordinator
Well this has been on my must-have list for as long as I have had a list.

I don't care where I have to purchase it just so long as there are no cuts in it and the other seasons follow I will buy it anywhere.

Oh I can't wait for the day!!!

Robin

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
GREAT NEWS!!!

I just hope that all of the episodes are complete and uncut. The question, is why would Paramount sell the home-video rights to Time Life for a DVD release? Hopefully the master tapes have been well-preserved and they didn't have to go to 16mm or 35mm prints to get complete episodes. (Like Paramount had to do with The Brady Bunch.)

Jack

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

The Odd Couple was shot on 35mm film, so I hope the original negatives were utilized to make the source prints for the DVDs. I can't wait to see these again.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

As I understand it (and I could be misinformed) both Odd Couple and Get Smart fell into the hands of Paul Brownstein. He negotiates deals with distributors (like he did with the Van Dyke Show and Image) to release product. I'm guessing he got the best deal with TL for these shows so he's working with them. Companies like Image, TL, etc. may be willing to put costs of extras in the budget where the majors wouldn't. They also are better at marketing shows that may have a niche audience. Odd Couple and Get Smart have not been syndicated widely in recent years (at least in my area) and probably aren't well known among younger consumers who buy a lot of DVDs.

Perry Mason went retail due to its popularity (constant syndication over the past 4 decades and prior success at Columbia House). It's been high on the pre-sale lists ever since it was announced. However it's also barebones because Paramount wouldn't pony up for extras even though they were offered some by the Gardner estate.

Steve

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
According to the TL site, shipping is free on this set, so all in all, I'd say its a pretty good deal, given the extras in the set. And if Brownstein worked on it, you know you're getting something worthwhile.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Also if you like me have alot of releases in that month, TL will split up the cost of the set into three payments with no interest.

I'm wondering when Get Smart will make it's appearance on the site? I'm actually surprised OC Showed first, but I guess they've been working on these for awhile

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Surely, the film prints would be better source material than decades-old videotape masters, as the series was shot on film (unless, of course, you're implying that the film prints are likely dirty, etc. and wouldn't undergo restoration). Also, one wonders whether there would even be a set of unedited video masters. I think some (if not all) of this was put out by Columbia House on VHS many years back, so there may be unedited videotape masters. Still, new masters struck from the original film might be better (though probably more expensive).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I know TL is doing all 5 seasons of Get Smart, and has prepared all 5 years worth of shows for DVD.

Does anyone know if OC is being handled by Brownstein? I haven't seen this mentioned before.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
What's the deal on this release? Is there still a chance that Paramount could release Season 1 at some point this fall or next year? I don't think I'm going to be happy if I shell out $40 now and then it becomes available at retail next spring for $28 or less. It would be nice to know if T/L was under contract to release all of the seasons or just the first one (maybe this is Paramount's way of evaluating interest in this series).

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Yes, it is and no, they have not committed at this point beyond the first season. However, if they know anything at all, they will realize that the show really didn't take off until the second season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks