What's new

Astaire-Rogers Volume 2 for October 17th (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
Warner Brothers announced that the second volume of the Astaire-Rogers musicals would be out on October 17th according to davisdvd. Carefree/Flying Down to Rio/Roberta/Story of Vernon and Irene Castle and Gay Divorcee make up the set for SRP of $59.92.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Another purchase for me. It seems like October will be an expensive month, but who's complaining?

Corey

Screenwriter
damn WB. i won't even be able to keep up in october--forbidden planet, this set, motion pix masterpieces, bogie vol 2, and marlon brando.

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
This is wonderful news - I was beginning to wonder what the hold-up was.

October can't come soon enough!

Mark VH

Second Unit
Fantastic - the first set was one of the great DVD joys of 2005. Will be wonderful to complete the Fred/Ginger collection.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Yeah, I'm still waiting for "Tender Comrade" and "The Major and the Minor".

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'd be pissed if Ginger got a Signature Collection and Fred didn't. :P

So glad Astaire/Rogers vol 2. is coming out this year...I was worried, 'cause I thought it would be out this summer. October is going to be HELL. In a heavenly sort of way.

Yes I think I might be taking out a second mortgage on the house :P

I agree with Chris, you couldnt give Ginger a Signature Collection and Astaire nothing :)

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Really? That's great! Where'd they say that? I try to read all the chat transcripts & interviews, but I must've missed it. I feared Fred wouldn't get a box because many of his big films have already been released. Hey, maybe this is what they're saving Royal Wedding for! :)

Okay Ginger, you can have a box too. ;) I do want Bachelor Mother... and I wouldn't mind seeing Tom, Dick & Harry again, just to see if it's as bad as I remember.

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
I think the Astaire news was mentioned in that Amazon interview with GF. I don't recall an entire collection being mentioned, but they did say 'more Astaire'. I'll buy whatever they dish out with Fred in it, but I mostly want Yolanda and the Thief. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just rewatched YOLANDA AND THE THIEF over the weekend (on videotape), and while I can see why the film would have flopped right at the end of the war and afterward, it does play now like an elaborately conceived, beautifully appointed fantasy. One would have to be in the mood for such a confection, however.

"Angel" is among the most beautiful songs Harry Warren ever wrote.

Corey

Screenwriter

the digital bits has it down on october 3rd on the classic coming attractions.

Corey

Screenwriter
GF on the Amazon interview said a Ginger set is in the works and mentioned Once Upon A Honeymoon, Bachelor Mother, and Vivascious Lady. As for the Astaire set, A Damsel in Distress was mentioned, but I would love to have a non-PD version of Royal Wedding and Yolanda and the Thief.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Full details at DVD Times:

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Astaire and Rogers Collection: Volume 2 for 17th October 2006. Last year’s release of Volume One featured the critically acclaimed Top Hat and Swing Time, along with Follow the Fleet, Shall We Dance and The Barkleys of Broadway, the couple’s final film together. Completing the collection of films that starred Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Volume 2 will include Carefree, Flying Down To Rio, The Gay Divorcee, Roberta and Story of Vernon and Irene Castle. All five films are new to DVD and have been newly remastered. The five disc giftset will sell for $59.92 SRP. All titles will also be available individually for $19.97 SRP.

Also being offered for the first time is the Astaire and Rogers Ultimate Collector’s Edition featuring all 10 of the dance duo’s films along with the documentary Astaire and Rogers: Partners in Rhythm, a glorious salute that includes candid photos, behind-the-scene tidbits and sidelights about famed collaborators Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern and George Gershwin, among others. This edition includes an exclusive bonus audio CD with 10 soundtrack songs from the team’s movies, set of collectible behind-the-scenes photo cards, reproductions of the Shall We Dance and Roberta press books and a mail-in offer for four Astaire and Rogers movie posters. The 12-disc giftset is the definitive set to own, and will sell for $99.92 SRP.

For consumers who already own Volume One, a special Ultimate Collector’s Edition will be available at a price (not yet determined) which will contain empty sleeves for the five remastered and restored films released last year.

The Astaire and Rogers Collection: Volume Two

Carefree (1938)

Carefree is “Fred and Ginger’s most comic outing, wacky and offbeat” (Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide). The score’s romantic classic is Irving Berlin’s Change Partners. The duo also shares the slow-motion dreamscape of I Used to Be Color Blind and jives through The Yam. And Fred tees off on Since They Turned Loch Lomond into Swing, a sequence that took two weeks and 600 golf balls to film. In dance, as on the links, practice makes perfect.

DVD Special Features:
Vintage musical short Public Jitterbug No. 1
Classic cartoon September in the Rain
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

Flying Down To Rio (1933)
“We’ll show them a thing or three,” Honey Hale (Ginger Rogers) says as she and Fred Ayres (Fred Astaire) take to the dance floor to do The Carioca. As events turned out, Astaire and Rogers showed us three times three, making nine more films together after their breakthrough first screen teaming in Flying down to Rio.

“Too big for the earth, so they staged it in the sky!” ads declared for this spirit-lifter with a swell Vincent Youmans score and built around a romantic triangle played by Dolores Del Rio, Gene Raymond and Raul Roulien. It also includes a dandy production number in which chorines soar on airplane wings. Rogers and Astaire are fourth- and fifth-billed, but their magic was undeniable. When the film ends, the last image we see isn’t the leads. It’s Fred and Ginger.

DVD Special Features:
Vintage comedy Short Beer and Pretzels with Ted Healy and His Stooges
Classic cartoon I Like Mountain Music
Theatrical trailer

The Gay Divorcee (1934)
After supporting roles in 'Flying down to Rio' sent their movie careers soaring, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers enjoyed star billing for the first time in this delightful escapade about marriage, divorce and all the romantic comedy complications in between. The Gay Divorcee set the style, tone and behind-the-camera talents for Astaire/Rogers classics to come and captured five Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture.* Musical highlights here include the 17-minute marvel The Continental (the first Oscar winner for Best Song) and Cole Porter’s haunting Night and Day. Indeed, “if Astaire and Rogers had never danced a lick after Night and Day, they still would have been screen immortals” (The Movie Guide).

DVD Special Features:
2 vintage musical shorts:
Show Kids
Star Night at the Cocoanut Grove
Classic cartoon Shake Your Powder Puff
Audio-only bonus: Hollywood on the Air radio promo
Theatrical trailer

Roberta (1935)
The third Astaire/Rogers film is a silky adaptation of the 1933 Broadway hit (whose original cast included Bob Hope, Sydney Greenstreet and Fred MacMurray). It features a jaunty romantic plot, fabulous sets (the three-level salon set required the world’s largest camera crane), memorable music (including Jerome Kern and Otto Harbach’s Smoke Gets in Your Eyes) and above all, incomparable dance magic to match the score. “The most pleasant moments in Roberta,” Time reported, “arrive when Astaire and Rogers turn the story upside down and dance on it.” Astaire may sing I Won’t Dance. But his feet betray him.

DVD Special Features:
Vintage musical short Starlit Days at the Lido
Classic cartoon The Calico Dragon
Audio-only bonus: Hollywood on the Air radio promo
Theatrical trailer

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939)
“You could be a perfectly wonderful dancer if you wanted to,” Irene tells the vaudeville second banana who will someday be her husband. They were even more wonderful together. Vernon and Irene Castle became King and Queen of the Ballroom, creating the Castle Walk, Maxie, Texas Tommy and other sensations. The world followed their every move. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers close their fabulous run of ’30s films by portraying the popular dancers whose influence extended to pre-World War I lifestyles (Castle candies, shoes and beauty supplies were just a few of the duo’s product lines). Period tunes and the stars’ delightful stepping of Castle dances accent this film of goodbyes to a fond yesteryear and to the Astaire/Rogers RKO partnership. Apart, Fred and Ginger would make fine movies. But they were even more wonderful together.

DVD Special Features:
Vintage musical short Happily Buried
Classic cartoon Puss Gets the Boot

DeeF

Screenwriter
That Ultimate box set with the empty sleeves is the weirdest-coolest offer I've ever seen, and it's from Warners -- good for them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks