Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic officially announces its Blu-Ray Player

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 Harminder

Harminder

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted July 07 2006 - 08:17 AM

Courtesy of our friends at The Digital Bits:

Panasonic has confirmed that their DMP-BD10 Blu-ray Disc player will be available in September for an SRP of around $1,299.95.

Hopefully at that price, it will be an improvement over the Samsung Blu-Ray player.

#2 of 27 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,926 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 07 2006 - 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harminder

Panasonic has confirmed that their DMP-BD10 Blu-ray Disc player will be available in September for an SRP of around $1,299.95.

Hopefully at that price, it will be an improvement over the Samsung Blu-Ray player.
Which one of you are going to buy it while I stick to my Samsung player?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 27 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 07 2006 - 11:43 AM

Wow, $1,300. Prices are going up instead of down. Hope it gets better reviews then the Samsung is currently getting. Wonder if this machine will be able to improve PQ over the Sammy?
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#4 of 27 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,558 posts

Posted July 07 2006 - 12:06 PM

I won't get into the specifics of Samsung vs. Panasonic, as it perturbs me quite a bit when folks who don't own the Toshiba HD-A1, or have any real experience with the player, proceed to bash it; but I will add this...

One of the changes in player/media dynamics that occurred during the transition from VHS and LaserDisc to DVD was that prior analog formats had a higher correlation between player price and performance levels, whereas DVD due to it's digital nature tended to level the playing field to some extent. I wouldn't suggest that all digital players are equal, but I believe the variance is not substantial and consequently I am unsure how much of a performance delta should be expected on future players vs. 1st generation players. (Additional audio support and HDMI 1.3 may invalidate this argument, but I am uncertain to what degree this will improve current performance levels.)

Many of the advances on DVD were in the software domain and I expect this paradigm will continue with HD media (both HD DVD and Bd.)

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#5 of 27 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,541 posts

Posted July 07 2006 - 06:51 PM

Panasonic apparently stated that they would be providing a free firmware update for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD support, according to one of the articles I read. *shrug* Who knows if it is true though.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#6 of 27 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,602 posts

Posted July 07 2006 - 08:15 PM

As much as I love Panasonic, I'll probably wait till Sony releases
its player in October.

I figure it's their format and if anybody is going to put out hardware
that takes best advantage of its format it's gonna be Sony.

I'm also anticipating the Sony will be cheaper than the Panasonic.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 27 PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted July 07 2006 - 11:05 PM

The Sony will be cheaper than the Panasonic ($999 vs. $1299)

Still, Panasonic should provide an excellent player. They are the 2nd biggest member of the Blu-ray group (via Matsushita). A lot of their patents are tied into the hardware here. Remember: Blu-ray just isn't Sony! Posted Image

#8 of 27 Terry-A

Terry-A

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted July 08 2006 - 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harminder

think i'll wait it put for the pioneer blu ray....if i'm going to spend 1300 dollars 200 more for a pioneer elite wont break me....

#9 of 27 Brad HP

Brad HP

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted July 08 2006 - 08:43 AM

I ended up taking back the Samsung. If the movies look better in the fall and the other studios actually start putting some out I would consider a Panasonic BD player. I have been very pleased with my RP-91 DVD player which is still my main SDVD player.

#10 of 27 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted July 08 2006 - 11:04 AM

I was also planning on playing the waiting game (patiently) so by the time this player and the sony player come out and the reviews are in then hopefully the format should be mature enough for me to decide or not decide to jump in at that time. Glad to see more players though, they should play off of each other and help bring the prices down.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#11 of 27 MannyE

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator

• 233 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 03:34 PM

I love that the price of admission is much lower than I remember for the top of the line players back when DVD came out... I remember the Sony S7000 being over a grand, and even the lowly 300 (which I bought and is STILL going strong) was almost 500 bucks and that was over 10 years ago...so in 06 dollars, these players are relative bargains!

Sony tends to de-engineer or backwards engineer (whatever you want to call it) players as newer generations come along...kind of a little thank you for early adopters I figure...so I'm probably going to take the plunge as soonas they debut... I'd have the Toshiba already if I wasn't going to get the xbox360... I just can't resist seeing hi-def games on my Panny AE900...
Ni!!

#12 of 27 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted July 11 2006 - 05:21 AM

Dumb quesiton but with all the delays, was there ever a new release date on the Sony player?
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#13 of 27 David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted July 11 2006 - 07:52 AM

If I remember correctly from an article in Twice magazine, Neil, the Sony is scheduled for an October release.
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#14 of 27 Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,441 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted July 18 2006 - 01:14 PM

Panasonic is coming to South Florida on July 25 to demo the player, and unless I have a last minute conflict, I will be there and asking Q's. If anyone wants me to ask anything specific to Panasonic's HDTV Product Executive, Jeff Cove, either PM me, or post here (whatever's appropriate), and I'll post back with what I can dig up.

#15 of 27 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 18 2006 - 02:38 PM

Sure. Ask them from a consumer's perspective what exactly makes their player worth $800 more than the Toshiba.

Thanks,
- Steve

#16 of 27 Harminder

Harminder

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted July 18 2006 - 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez
Panasonic is coming to South Florida on July 25 to demo the player, and unless I have a last minute conflict, I will be there and asking Q's. If anyone wants me to ask anything specific to Panasonic's HDTV Product Executive, Jeff Cove, either PM me, or post here (whatever's appropriate), and I'll post back with what I can dig up.

Ask them why the Blu-Ray discs released so far suck and why it justifies a higher price to be paid for such an inferior product so far.

#17 of 27 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 18 2006 - 04:19 PM

Actually, my question is serious... and can be asked with the utmost respect.

- Steve

#18 of 27 Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 12:38 AM

Felix, thanks for the offer. Here are some constructive questions I can think of right now:

-Which of the advanced audio codecs (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD,etc.) will be fully supported (at launch or via future firmware upgrade)?

-Will the player do native 1080p as opposed to the 1080p-1080i-1080p thing the Samsung does?

-Will the player have a good-quality 720p mode as opposed to the overly soft one on the Toshiba HD-A1?

#19 of 27 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted July 19 2006 - 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyE
I remember the Sony S7000 being over a grand, ...Sony tends to de-engineer or backwards engineer (whatever you want to call it) players as newer generations come along...

The S7000 still kicks ass, and was one of the best players (save for the fact that it didn't support DTS or progressive, but nothing did at launch). I agree with your assessment, as even the newer Sony players kinda suck in terms of picture (chroma problems, bad deinterlacing). Owning a first gen Sony has always generally been a treat.
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#20 of 27 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted July 20 2006 - 06:53 AM

Not that this makes up for subpar MPEG-2 releases, but Samsung's player has a "defect" (ie, poor implementation maybe?) in its Genesis video chipset having to do with DNR that may be causing some (not all)of the picture problems people are noticing with this unit.

AVS Forum has more details in their Blu-Ray player section.

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow