What's new

Emmy Nominations 2006 (1 Viewer)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Someone else will have to post the list, because I just don't have the heart to do it. I went to the nomination page and did a search for "Deadwood" and "McShane" and it turned up nothing. I don't know what sort of time window they are using for eligibility that would exclude the show. There must be some explanation for the show getting zero nominations.

Gilmore Girls got nothing, again!

And Gregory Itzin got nominated as President Logan, a role that many of us found completely implausible for most of the season.

Will Arnett got nominated. Yay! Go GOB!

I'll post more later once I've absorbed the list.

Brad

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
2006 Primetime Emmy Award Nominations (HTML)

2006 Primetime Emmy Award Nominations (PDF)

2006 Primetime Emmy Award Nominations (Word)

2006 Primetime Emmy Award Nominations Summary (HTML)

2006 Primetime Emmy Award Nominations Summary (PDF)

2006 Primetime Emmy Award Nominations Summary (Word)

2006 Primetime Emmy Award Nominations Facts and Figures (HTML)

2006 Primetime Emmy Award Nominations Facts and Figures (PDF)

2006 Primetime Emmy Award Nominations Facts and Figures (Word)

2006 Primetime Emmy Awards Supplemental Info (HTML)

2006 Primetime Emmy Awards Supplemental Info (PDF)

2006 Primetime Emmy Awards Supplemental Info (Word)

The elgibility period was June 1, 2005 to May 31, 2006. Deadwood's second season aired in its entirety before the start of the elgibility period, so it couldn't get anything. Season 3 will be elgible next year.

Pissed at no nominations whatsoever for Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars.

Shocked at no nomination for JG and EF for The Sopranos.

Perplexed at the nomination for House for Drama, but no HL for Best Actor.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well even if Deadwood was Nominated it would receive nothing. How about THe Shield or Rescue Me? Leary got a Best Actor nod so they must've been eligible, Are they saying season 2 was'nt worthy? Emmies are useless, year after year they nom the same shows.

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator
No Veronica Mars, no BSG, no Hugh Laurie. Instead we get The Sopranos, which wasn't even close to being in the top five shows this year.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Rather than grousing about those who were snubbed, I'll just say how happy I am to see Larry David, Steve Carell, Andre Braugher, Kyra Sedgwick, Will Arnett, Gregory Itzin, Cheryl Hines, Jaime Pressly, Jean Smart, Henry Ian Cusick, and Stephen Colbert getting some recognition.

Also, the Comedy Series category includes "Arrested Development", "Scrubs", "Curb Your Enthusiasm", and "The Office". They were atypically sensible enough to not include "Will and Grace", although the presence of "Two and a Half Men" over shows like "My Name is Earl" or "Extras", or ... well... almost anything is a bit of a puzzler.

Regards,

Chris

Senior HTF Member
While I was unhappy Hugh Laurie didn't get nominated, I thought Sopranos was easily one of the top 5 shows this year, so I have no problem with that.

Some of the picks I like and am glad they got attention:

Camp Lazlo • Hello Dolly / Over Cooked Beans • Cartoon

Camp Lazlo is one of the funniest new cartoon series on TV. I have rarely seen an episode that let me down. This is a good ep, but I thought "Meatman" / "Halloween" may be one of the funniest things I've seen on any show.. period.

I was glad to see "Weeds" get some nominations.

I was shocked to see "The Comeback" get any nominations, as that show was just freaking unwatchable.

I loved this nomination:

Penn & Teller: Bullshit • Prostitution •

Honestly, I think:

Sopranos got way too few nominations.
West Wing got way too Many.
Commander in Chief and The Comeback getting any noms is like people living in an alternate universe.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I think Two and A Half Men got in because it is the most watched sitcom on the air now. With the sitcom genre in such a bad state, the voters probably wanted to showcase a program that the public actually supports.

I don't see how anyone can truly get into the Emmy system. They make the same boring decisions year after year even when changes are made, as they were this year, to try and bring in fresh blood. The Oscars are much more fun and sensible.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
You had me until that statement.

I'm not into "awards" and especially "award shows", but it is great to see 'Arrested Development' get some recognition. I'll admit it would be great to see it win after being cancelled.

Forest Whitaker not getting a nomination for 'The Shield', and 'The Shield' itself not getting anything is a complete joke.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Award shows are way to political for me. It is just a way give airtime to the people in the industry to voice their opinions to mindless sheep who think that because they are TV, they must be an expert.

SMUG Alert!!!

Back to the topic....

I agree that the main problem with most of these shows is the nomination process seems very bizarre. There seems to be no real logical pattern to it.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
What I meant by saying the Oscars are more sensible is that most people who are into films can do a good job of predicting what films will get nominated and win and the rationale behind it all. Even when surprises occur, like the Crash Picture victory, it isn't hard to figure out why.

But the Emmy process seems so random to me. For instance, why on earth would the show "House" get nominated for Best Drama while Hugh Laurie, who carries the whole show almost single-handedly, is snubbed?

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Once again, nothing for Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars or Battlestar Galactica... *sigh*

I am happy that 24 leads the noms, but it's for a season I haven't seen yet (I'm watching the series exclusively on DVD).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Just venting here...

The viewers see it! The critics see it! Why don't the Emmy voters see it? This is even more flawed than the BCS. From what I hear, the voters don't even watch much TV, and yet, they can decide what shows are the best comedy or drama?? And it's just not right that a show gets nominations just out of sentimentality (sp?), which always seem to happen after a show ends its run (which by then, overstayed its welcome by 2 years).

I would prefer the voters being TV critics instead, people who actually watch TV.

Josh H

Grip
Some GLARING omissions-

Wentworth Miller- Prison Break
Hugh Laurie- House
James Gandolfini- The Sopranos
Edie Falco- The Sopranos
Kristen Bell- Veronica Mars
Mary Louise Parker- Weeds
Jeanne Tripplehorn- Big Love
Chloe Sevigny- Big Love
Adewale Akkinuoye-Agbaje- LOST
LOST
Six Feet Under
Weeds

Happy to see:
Peter Krause & Frances Conroy for Six Feet Under. Oustanding work not ignored in the last season.
Gregory Itzin & Jean Smart for 24.
Henry Ian Cusack for LOST.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
No Battlestar noms? BULLSHIT. That's as delicately as can be put.

Although I'll say this: I'm sorta glad Battlestar, The Shield, and Rescue Me all got snubbed, because an organization that still nominates the entire cast of Will and Grace for their mummified stereotypes, that can nominate House and then not nominate the guy the show is NAMED AFTER, that doesn't recognize Jason Lee but recognizes his shrill white trash succubus of a co-star for a BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS nomination? I'm not so sure I WANT that organization naming Battlestar Galactica best drama. It might feel wrong.

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
Deadwood, I believe, falls outside the scope of this year's Emmy nomination period. Season 2 aired last spring, and Season 3 began this summer (using the showbiz definition of "summer" as Memorial Day to Labor Day, not the meteorological seasons). Meanwhile, the final season of Six Feet Under, which aired last summer, is eligible because the nomination period runs from the end of the conventional (network) 2004-2005 season to the end of the 2005-2006 season.

One of the reasons there are so many factions of fans that get disappointed in snubs is that there is so much good TV out there these days. So we do have that to rejoice in.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see the Malcolm choreography nod - show deserved something for going out with a bang. Not Kaczmarek's strongest season as Lois, but solid work none the less. She deserves it for all those years with a truly original character. Hell, taken this season alone, she deserves it against the generally weak competition. And Cloris Leachman rules everything for creating the bitch of the century. One of the truly great reoccurring sitcom roles, in that car wreck sort of way.
Will Arnett and Bryan Cranston both deserve to be there, and I'd be happy if either one. I think I'll be rooting for Arnett though, who turned unlikable into a true artform of comedy.
I don't watch the other shows, so I'm rooting for Jaime Pressly in Supporting Actress, comedy. I do admire Hines for excelling in a rather thankless role.
Glad to see the Battlestar costumes, sound and visual effects nods because the show derserves to be recognized, period. It deserved an Outstanding Drama nod, though.
The "Earl" pilot deserved its direction nod. Taken with the season finale, it's like movie level.
As for Original Comedy Series, I'm thrilled. Not a nomination on there that doesn't deserve it. I'm especially thilled for Scrubs, though, since it can always use the recognition. They deserve it. I'd also be happy if Arrested wins for its final run, but Scrubs needs it more.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
That's an interesting way to put it. I would say that most people thought that the actor did an excellent job with the role as written, although many thought that the character's turnabout mid-way was implausible, even if some would agree that his behavior at the beginning was all too believable. He deserves the nomination.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You're right. I was fairly pissed when I saw Deadwood got 'snubbed' but a show needs to run between June 1, 2005 and May 31, 2006 (and the second season of Deadwood ended on May 22, 2005 and S3 began on June 11, 2006).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks